Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tip i tried and like for lightweight gear:

re-inforce the inside of some jeans with chaps leather from tandyleather.com

i add leather to re-inforce the seat, hips, knees just glue it in with leather weld. glue doesn't hold up too good, but much easier than trying to sew them!

haven't tested them (thankfully), but i believe the leather will protect me, and they are comfortable.

iconkittychaps-2.jpg

:rolleyes: Mostly Draggin Jeans that have kevlar sown into knee areas, hip and seat areas.

Haven't found anything else that breaths as well and suited for 100-112 degree days we get in Texas from May through most of September and not look like robo-cop or some NASA space suit.

If anyone has experience with a pair of protective pants that is well suited for extremely hot weather and looks like a "normal" pair of pants, I'm all ears.

Jeans (sometimes dockers) on my daily ride to work but planning to buy Joerocket Alter Ego pants (have jacket).

smc....olympia motorsports mens airglide 2 (for the heat)....see it on their site....that's what I used for WFO....in the colder weather Joe Rocket ballistic....

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you've had a dose of bonafide road rash, you'll never ride in anything but well- armored pants again. I usually wear one of Aerostitch's pants.....either Darien Light or the regular Darien. Because of my 29" inseam, I have to have them custom made....read expensive....in order to get the knee pad placed correctly. When old man gravel jumped up and bit me, I was wearing some super heavy grade jeans. I might as well of not even had them on....it was not a pretty sight.

+1 on protection. Been sliding recently and holed out some expensive gear.

For throwing a leg over, draggin jeans will give you at least some protection . . . though only for sliding on your butt or knees.

My prefered four season over pants at this point are Kevlar. Check out motoport. They have a number of great solutions. Air mesh pants in hot weather. Or consider a custom set of Police Jeans.

Also on the motoport site are good, solid statistics on abrasion resistance of various skin coverings [clicky]. Just to give you a sense of perspective

Jeans tear at 4.5 lbs

Competition leather tears at 80 - 110 lbs

Air-Mesh Kevlar tears at 1260 lbs.

There's more at the link I provided, but you get the idea. Basically jeans are better than wearing shorts as long as the bike isn't moving when you fall off.

If anyone has experience with a pair of protective pants that is well suited for extremely hot weather and looks like a "normal" pair of pants, I'm all ears.
Although they are not "normal" pants try (or at least look at) the Fieldsheer 4 season. With the (extremely warm) quilted liner removed, I have tested them to +/- 105. As long as you're moving they vent well and while stopped for breaks, the full length leg zipper can be opened. Quality of the liner is suspect though...YMMV

--G

Competition leather tears at 80 - 110 lbsAir-Mesh Kevlar tears at 1260 lbs.
I call advertising BS.

If this was so great why wouldn't the Moto GP guys and all the other racers be all over it .. especially as they race in the middle east , Singapore and OZ where its blazing hot. With their unlimited budgets, if something as "great" as Air-Kevlar came along they'd be all over it !!