Passenger Backrest for 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRocket05

Reaction score
I just bought an 05 FJR and need a backrest for my wife. I'm new to the site but I've seen that Gary Garauld has made them in the past. Is Gary still doing this and, if so, how do I get in touch with him? I'll apologize in advance for this next comment...I see where folks had told members to "PM" him. What does that mean? Obviously, I don't spend any time on forums....this is my first one.

PM = Personal Message. Just under the logo picture at the top of the page there is a blue bar that says Forums - Members - Calendar... Click on Members and either click on the letter G and page through or click on Search and copy/paste Garauld in to the box. When Gary's profile opens up, on the left side you will see his contact information.

Just to let you know, this Forum has been dead slow to respond over the past -- well, 11 days, which not coincidentally is how long the Iron Butt Association has been running their BIG rally. The rally ends today so the Forum should start picking up speed again over the next few days.

Welcome to the nut house!

If you could find Odot here... I gave him one two years ago and he never used it, I bet it's still on a shelf in his garage

If you could find Odot here... I gave him one two years ago and he never used it, I bet it's still on a shelf in his garage
I just found Odot and left him a message. Thanks alot!
From Odot's profile:

Group: Members++

Active Posts: 6,405 (3 per day)

Most Active In: Completely Off-Topic Discussion (1203 posts)

Profile Views: 1,170

Last Active: Jan 29 2011 05:41 PM

Currently: Offline

Based on his last active date you may want to hedge your bets and ping Gary too. Odot used to be fixture on this Forum but he has sort of faded from view, it seems to be related to a recently acquired gold band on the third finger of his left hand... And the new ring for his nose...

PM = Personal Message. Just under the logo picture at the top of the page there is a blue bar that says Forums - Members - Calendar... Click on Members and either click on the letter G and page through or click on Search and copy/paste Garauld in to the box. When Gary's profile opens up, on the left side you will see his contact information.

Just to let you know, this Forum has been dead slow to respond over the past -- well, 11 days, which not coincidentally is how long the Iron Butt Association has been running their BIG rally. The rally ends today so the Forum should start picking up speed again over the next few days.

Welcome to the nut house!
Thanks for the help! Last weekend, at one of our stops, a guy looked at our bike and told me that the winner of the Iron Butt for the last several years has been riding an FJR. As a new owner, I REALLY like hearing THAT!!! That is real reliability!

There are other brands of backrests out there--none are cheap, unless you're lucky enough to find a used one here or someplace like Craigslist. (Don't forget it would have to be for a Gen I FJR specifically.)

Also functional as a backrest is a topcase, either with or without the expensive pad mounted on it for a backrest (and it's not needed). Nice thing about that is it can also double as a lockable luggage carrier. Or you could you just securely mount a "soft" tail bag/topcase that she could lean against. I don't think passengers really lean against a backrest as much as like the security of knowing there's something there to keep them from sliding off the back end when you take off.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Odot's profile:

Group: Members++

Active Posts: 6,405 (3 per day)

Most Active In: Completely Off-Topic Discussion (1203 posts)

Profile Views: 1,170

Last Active: Jan 29 2011 05:41 PM

Currently: Offline

Based on his last active date you may want to hedge your bets and ping Gary too. Odot used to be fixture on this Forum but he has sort of faded from view, it seems to be related to a recently acquired gold band on the third finger of his left hand... And the new ring for his nose...
Prolly gone forever....

Nope! I jus saw he was on line....

Now he's diggin through his shit, tryin ta find that backrest....

Where'd he put that damn thing....

I see where rushes had posted up, and figured for sure he'd mention the Goober backrest..

9119milkcrate1.jpg

I hear he spray painted his gloss silver and get's all the gurls now :blink:

Hey, numbnuts....what year scoot did that back rest you gave me fit on?