Passenger backrest opinions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creg-ny-baa

Reaction score
Okay, SWMBO has, as a condition of riding with me on the FJR, the installation of a passenger backrest. Having not put eyes upon the options, my inclination is either the Pirate's Lair or the PCA-One version. I like the rear plate of the PCA, but I really want the quick removal of the Pirate's Lair. She likes what appears to be the taller (& slightly wider?) dimension of the PL. So, who has thoughts, opinions, experience with either or (ideally) both?

TIA.

Have you thought of ordering one from Garauld? Great product and price!

b17ce0a5-f389-4836-9fa6-ae18771dff26_zps01b83892.jpg

I have the PCA rack/backrest and my wife loves it but I'm thinking about changing the setup. I'm thinking about getting a sargent seat with backrest and replacing the PCA rack with the SR357. Does anyone know if you can leave the sargent backrest on while a topbox is mounted on the SR357? Is there any interference? I know you can get a backrest pad for the topbox but I'd like to just leave the sargent backrest on if possible.

I believe all this backrest discussion to be effected by the recent subframe cracking threads. Just like putting to much weight in a topbox, and overloading the design of the subframe, any backrest mounted to the 3 bolts, or in the case of the PCA rack mounted to that rack, will produce a load to the subframe leading to all the cracking problems. The Pirates Lair backrest mounts to these same 3 bolts, and from the looks of the pic of the Garauld backrest, it appears that one does too. All this of course if the passenger puts any force on the backrest while in use, but that's what its for is for them to lean back against it. The amount of pressure a person could put on the subframe by leaning back with any amount of force would be pretty great.

My subframe isn't cracked yet, so I will be replacing my PCA plate and backrest with the Give SR357 mount, but then would need to look for a backrest for the passenger, so the option of the Sargent seat/backrest combo is an interesting one if indeed you can use it with the Givi topbox in place.

Do a search for the subframe cracking issues to learn more.