Passenger backrest question-lower back support

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
The wife and I just successfully completed a highly enjoyable two up trip (our first ever) on my '05 FJR (1800 miles round trip to the Black Hills, no less). The SHAD 50 top-case I installed earlier this year performed great, and while there is an integrated passenger backrest, it does not provide much lower tailbone support, she says. Any ideas for a passenger backrest that could be mounted in front of the SHAD top-case in use? I was lucky enough to buy a second-hand Russell Day Long rider/passenger seat earlier this year too, which works and feels great for me; however, as it is leather, she says she slides around a bit more than she would like. Not sure if I could affix some material to the passenger seat so she would not move around as much on the leather cover. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome on how to improve lower back support for the passenger while running this top case. Thanks....

Try removing the pad on the shad case. It will allow her to lean back a little bit more, rolling the top of her butt and hip area into the seat cushion. From the general consensus on here, the topcase pad pushes the passenger too far forward into a "very upright" position.

or you could consider a Mustang or Saddleman seat with plusher edging on the seat pad... they build them a little 'deeper'.

Last edited by a moderator: