Passenger experience with Rifle Medium

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I just put on a Rifle medium windshield on my 07 and it made a huge difference. Since there are a lot of wind gusts today, the wife and I did a before and after ride to compare. It was so gusty on the Interstate she said she was getting whiplash and didn't even want to be out. I'm 5'10" and the old windshield did a pretty good job for me except over 70mph. She HATES it when I speed and especially on the bike because she gets so much buffeting. We seldom ride interstate because of this and it limits our long rides to the side roads (much better rides, but sometimes you just need to cover ground).

We got out on the interstate and it was a huge difference. But the proof was when we changed roads and I got behind a car going pretty fast. I stayed a little bit behind but was trying to match his speed. Before I noticed it we were going 110. She didn't even complain because she had no idea how fast we were going. It was "like butta". Considering we can't usually do 80 without getting beat up, this was incredible.

I'm no speed demon and will never see what this bike can really do, but it's pretty fun to at least use the 5th gear like it was built for. Thumbs up, Rifle.

Was your head in a quiet pocket at 80 or so?

I'm about 5"11 and have helibar risers and tripleclamp. I'm looking to get my head in a quiet spot for long rides at speed.

Yes, but I need to get some more experience with it on a normal day to really judge it. I heard the engine a lot more, but I didn't try the visor up to check. I couldn't tell a ton of difference between 75% up (which is right below eye level for me) and all the way up. I think I will be riding 75% up most of the time and 100% up when I want the barn door. I still can't get over how smooth it is at speed.

A few folks have said they don't like the way the Rifles look, but I think it looks great. There's a really good review of the cal-sci medium on here, which I almost got. But lots of folks seem to think the rifle is a little better. After being so pleasantly rewarded for going big with the Russell seats, I am sticking with the forum opinions. :)

- Paul

Thanks for the information Paul. I've been a CB fan through three FJRs, but I'm looking hard for Santa to bring a Rifle to try. Might just be the ticket for smoother flying!

--G