Passport X-50 mounting location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Is there somewhat of a consensus of opinion as to how and where to mount the radar detector? I will most likely be mounting a Garmin, the detector, and a Sirius satellite radio of some sort and would love some recommendations with pics on how you guys mount yours.

Here's the stand that Carla fabbed up for her bike. I think it's either aluminum or stainless - I forget - but it's painted silver to match her custom painted dash. There's a request for her to build a couple of more of these for our riding group. Obviously, the detector is not there in this pic, but it doesn't get in the way of any of the instruments.

IMG_0163.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my RX65 mounted in the "glovebox". As I learned today, it won't pick up lasar

from there, but any notification for lasar is most likely too late anyhow.

Oh, no ticket!!

Carla's setup looks great. I'm assuming that the detector is just held there by the velcro and that the black piece is sheet rubber of some sort, or is the black piece a magnet? I have a guy here locally that is a whiz at making up stuff like that cheap.....the trick is getting him to break away from everybody elses stuff to work on mine :)

Here's the stand that Carla fabbed up for her bike. There's a request for her to build a couple of more of these for our riding group. 
2247302-plus1.gif

How 'bout a group buy? :) I know about 17 people who might need one as well.

I have a techmonut on the clutch side mirror hole and I was planning to use that for a radar detector but it was very expensive and I probably wouldn't spend the money on it if I were to do it over again.

I have been thinking about the shelf that FJR Goodies sells. It looks like it will hold several devices without getting in the way of the instruments and it costs about the same as the single-device tech mount I have.

However, I do like Carla's mount and I would consider buying one if someone were to sell them at a reasonable cost. I would want mine in black.

I added the Top Gun ECM shelf. Very happy with it. My 8500 is Velcroed to it with industrial Velcro (no signs of deterioration in 1.5 years now). I have a RAM ball screwed to it for my GPS V (their standard z-arm style).