PC III mapping Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotlings8

Reaction score
Ok. So I have a PC III installed on my Gen II with a K&N air filter and Two Brothers Slip ons. Usually with just slip ons the ECU can make up the minor differences and the bike will still run fine. Mine however, that was not the case. The first problem being, I live in the the high desert of NM at about 4500 ft elevation, and often travel on roads up to 11000 ft. I took my bike to a local shop to have it dyno tuned, and they did their best with the O2 sensor still hooked up, but said that it will never be right with that still connected...So i called Power Commander, and they said that if i disconnect it, that will render my ECU useless trying to deal with elevation changes. I have gotten it to run decent according to the butt dyno...but it is very choppy in that cruising speed in town (30 mph or so). It seems like it is either on or off...no real nice transition. As i go up in elevation, and obviously colder temps, the bike does not want to idle at all and stalls when you give it gas to release the clutch. I wanted to know if anyone has had an experience like this, or if i should just give up, put the stock cans back on, and disconnect the Power Commander. Anybody with a good map or any good info on this would be greatly appreciated as I am at a standstill....

I believe that the folks at DynoTune (Power Commander) are all wet. The O2 sensor doesn't have anything to do with the altitude (air pressure) adjustment in the ECU. The intake air pressure sensor is the source of that feedback to the ECU and that adjustment happens when you are closed loop or open loop.

If the O2 sensor were used to adjust for altitude it would only be able to do so when the ECU goes closed loop, which is only at idle and during steady cruise condition. It would not be capable of adjusting the fueling the rest of the time

Disconnecting the O2 sensor just disables the closed loop feedback from the O2 sensor, which is what you want to do to get smoother fueling.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike is an 09, so i didnt think the altitude fix would pertain to me. Also, the bike ran fine before i got the power commader in it. So do you guys think i should try to disconnect the O2 sensor and see how it acts?

My bike is an 09, so i didnt think the altitude fix would pertain to me. Also, the bike ran fine before i got the power commader in it. So do you guys think i should try to disconnect the O2 sensor and see how it acts?
Yes. Just try it, with the right map of course.

Fred is correct O2 sensor has nothing to do with altitude comp. However Dynojet maps were derived and meant to be run with O2 sensor disconnected, so I would certainly try that. Another thing is there is an accel pump utility that you can download from dynojet for PCIII's. You set % enrichment and # of revs. Smooths out throttle transitions. Final thing there is an O2 sensor eliminator plug that may or may not help. Just some resistors shorted over the empty plug. But it supposedly sends a different signal to the ECU than an open circuit would for the missing sensor. I noticed the bike seemed to run better with it in, very subjective though.

I have gotten some good info and some not so good info from Dynojet tech people.

My bike is an 07, altitude fix ECU, 2Br exhaust, PCIII + accel pump + O2 elimnator. Running the base map for 2BR exhaust. I live & ride at 8k ft elevation and frequently/mostly higher.