PCIII and the O2 Sensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
In another thread Skooter noted that his '04 pops the yellow Check Engine light and sets an O2 sensor failure code. I've had my PCIII installed for >30K miles with the O2 sensor unplugged and I've never set any of the three O2 Sensor Failure Codes or had the Check Engine light come on. What are y'all seeing with your FJR? :unsure:

In another thread Skooter noted that his '04 pops the yellow Check Engine light and sets an O2 sensor failure code. I've had my PCIII installed for >30K miles with the O2 sensor unplugged and I've never set any of the three O2 Sensor Failure Codes or had the Check Engine light come on. What are y'all seeing with your FJR? :unsure:
Unplugging the O2 sensor does not turn on any lights or other failures.

I asked this question a while back. Only one other board member (who doesn't post often and contacted me via PM) says they experienced the same problem. It will be interesting to see if anyone else speaks up this go-around. I will say I have a 2nd sample.............

On FJR#2, my low mile 04 ABS FJR, it occurred also, several thousand miles after I took possession of it. After speaking with the seller, this was the scoop- This FJR had a PCIII installed at one time as it was the test mule for the holeshot header system. When the prototype header came off, they removed the PCIII also (given to me in it's box), but they must have forgot to re-connect the O2 sensor, because when I went investigating, it was NOT connected. I re-connected it, reset the error code, and all has been well since.

When I started experiencing the problem with my original high mile non-ABS 04 FJR, I contacted Dynojet but they were unable to give me any useful information at all. They didn't have the slightest inkling why it was occurring, which makes sense since they are NOT experts on every bike's FI system, including the FJR. Also of note, it took a looooong time after install of the PCIII for me to get my first error code. Probably like 30-40,000 miles. Since the first occurrence however, they started coming much more regularly. The most recent only took about 1000 miles after reset and once again popped up during a top speed run - a common, but not absolute ingredient.

Unplugging the O2 sensor does not turn on any lights or other failures.

Perhaps on your FJR it doesn't............. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a PCiii and pretty much forgot to unplug the O2 sensor. I have not gone back in and unplugged it yet as I didn't want to take the tank off etc.

I think I understand how the 02 sensor works in conjunction with the EFI, but what impact is there if it is left working with the PCiii?

I installed a PCiii and pretty much forgot to unplug the O2 sensor. I have not gone back in and unplugged it yet as I didn't want to take the tank off etc.
I think I understand how the 02 sensor works in conjunction with the EFI, but what impact is there if it is left working with the PCiii?
It means that the stock computer is over ruling the PC3......you've wasted your money till you disconnect the O2 sensor. :unsure:

BTW.... no error code or check engine lights on mine either.

INstalled my PCIII last week, unplugged the O2 sensor and haven't had any lights or codes.

I'm fairly new to the PCIII - but after a couple of thousand km's, there's still no error codes or other problems (O2 disconnected)

It means that the stock computer is over ruling the PC3......you've wasted your money till you disconnect the O2 sensor. :unsure:

BTW.... no error code or check engine lights on mine either.
Ok, I'll get back into it and disconnet the O2 sensor as I should have when I had it opened up the first time.

Thanks

A week ago I spoke to a sales rep who knows the PCIII inside and out about this very problem. I asked him if I needed the 02 Sensor Eliminator I've seen lately installed on the 06 FJR to keep any trouble light or code from coming on when the 02 Sensor was unplugged?

His answer was the only thing that needed to be done was just unplug the Sensor connector, and that's it. No codes or lights will appear. Unplug it and forget it.

Ride Safe, C1

His answer was the only thing that needed to be done was just unplug the Sensor connector, and that's it. No codes or lights will appear. Unplug it and forget it.
My semi-related question is: If it's not being detected by the ECU, means it's not doing squat to begin with, no? The O2 sensor can fail and wouldn't detect it either. Without the O2 monitored by the ECU, a rich condition can kill the cat in short order.

Guess until EPA mandates OBD (or OBDII) on bikes, we don't have to worry too much about it.

Disconnect an O2 sensor on a car and you get the check engine light in a heartbeat. And there're many: each cat requires one before and after it, and a minimum of 1 cat per bank of cylinders, or 4 O2 sensors. Good day folks.

JC

If it's not being detected by the ECU, means it's not doing squat to begin with, no? The O2 sensor can fail and wouldn't detect it either. Without the O2 monitored by the ECU, a rich condition can kill the cat in short order.
As noted in opening message #1 the ECU monitors the O2 sensor for three error conditions. The ECU reads the O2 but will only report an error if it matches any of these error conditions. Evidently OPEN CIRCUIT is not programmed into the ECU as an error. Some '03 and '04 owners used to report that the check engine light would come on after washing their bike or after heavy rain, and the error code that came up was O2 related.

There are few situations where the ECU reads O2 sensor for dynamic feedback control so unplugging it has little effect. Basically, the only time the O2 comes into play is when the engine is fully warmed up and the motorcycle is being ridden at a steady speed. Here in New England, between the roads and the traffic my FJR would probably never meet the conditions for the O2 to be active :glare:

It was odd that Skoot's bike would pop an O2 code which is why I started this thread. Based on Skoot's character references I see here in the Forum it may be more about his karma than an electro/mechanical defect of his bike :)

His answer was the only thing that needed to be done was just unplug the Sensor connector, and that's it. No codes or lights will appear. Unplug it
Tell him for me he's full of caca. :D

It was odd that Skoot's bike would pop an O2 code which is why I started this thread. Based on Skoot's character references I see here in the Forum it may be more about his karma than an electro/mechanical defect of his bike :)
While I agree my karma is not the best - just got another rear tire flat - and that it is entirely possible it's a weird fluke...................

Remember, I have had the condition happen on TWO different FJRs, and there is one other forum member that I am aware of to which it happened to.

Remember, I have had the condition happen on TWO different FJRs, and there is one other forum member that I am aware of to which it happened to.
That may be the case, HOWEVER..... since we are fast closing in on 5000 forum members, this makes you statistically insignificant. :p :lol:

That may be the case, HOWEVER..... since we are fast closing in on 5000 forum members, this makes you statistically insignificant. :p :lol:
Close to 5000 forum accounts does not equal 5000 forum members. How many of those are dead accounts from folks who have long since moved on...just a devil's advocate flipside logic gotcha there.

Y'all next to visit FJRTech.com more often, as all of these concepts are covered in the PC-III install article: FJRTech: PC-III Quick-n-dirty installation
Here is the specific page about disconnecting the O2 sensor (shown on Gen I bike; Gen II is similar) FJRTech: Disconnecting the O2 Sensor

Not sure where the connector is, there are 2 connector sets similar to the photos from FJR Tech but the 2 connectors have 4 wires in one of them and 3 wires in the other connector. The FJR Tech site stated that the O2 sensor was a 2 wire connector. Is the O2 connnector for the 07'A somewhere else?

Any help would be appreciated I will have the tank off for most of the day adding other stuff.

Y'all next to visit FJRTech.com more often, as all of these concepts are covered in the PC-III install article: FJRTech: PC-III Quick-n-dirty installation
Here is the specific page about disconnecting the O2 sensor (shown on Gen I bike; Gen II is similar) FJRTech: Disconnecting the O2 Sensor

Not sure where the connector is, there are 2 connector sets similar to the photos from FJR Tech but the 2 connectors have 4 wires in one of them and 3 wires in the other connector. The FJR Tech site stated that the O2 sensor was a 2 wire connector. Is the O2 connnector for the 07'A somewhere else?

Any help would be appreciated I will have the tank off for most of the day adding other stuff.
Mine ('07) was a gray 4-pin connector. Presumably the "2-wire" was something "earlier(?)".