PCIII vs. Stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
I really am having a hard time detecting a difference between maps on my PCIII. I am loading them correctly and it seems like everything is working fine, but when I ride with different maps, I really can't tell the difference. I have tried the Wally map for a stock FJR and the Map that comes with the PCIII.

If you load the zero map, does that return the FI to default values? I would think you had to hook the 02 sensor back up, and that would make it as if you didn't have a PCIII.

I am interested in trying that to make sure the PCIII is doing what it's supposed to, that way I could try stock vs. custom map to see if I notice the difference then without having to uninstall the PCIII.

I can notrice a difference with mine. It is not HUGE!!! but it is noticable.

The smoothness map makes mine very smooth.

I run the hopleshot map as I have those slipons

Whack a few numbers in the map hard!!, save it under another name. And see if you can make the bike change

Justa Thought

I'm a PCIII newbie too. I loaded the PC "Stock FJR w/O2 sensor disconnected" and felt a very noticeable difference - much smoother with noticeably better "throttle pickup" while cornerning. I believe that you can go back to the "Zero" map which if you look at it in fact does have 0 in all the blocks. Because you're still running thru the PC, I believe (yes, believe, I don't know for a fact) you would keep the O2 sensor disconnected.

Thanks for asking the question and I'll be watching for a reply from someone who "knows" the answer!

Did you do the throttle sync?

Should be a noticeable (for me a huge) difference between the zero map and the other two.

Becasue the matrix values are deltas from stock, I believe the zero map results in the bike running unaltered by the PCIII - not accounting for the disconnnected O2 sensor, of course.

OTOH, these bikes vary considerably, one to the other. If your bike was one of the smooth ones beforehand, the PCIII will make less of a difference. I know this from experience, a buddy has a "twin" albeit much smoother from the factory '06 and the PCIII had much less effect on his bike's performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set everything up, USB cord in the computer, 9 volt plugged into the PCIII, then open the Powercommander program in the computer. Now plug the cord into the PCIII. The program should display the current map in the PCIII. This way you know for sure one was actually loaded-I have seen load errors prevent a program from being loaded in, have also seen them just not be in there for whatever reason. In any case, the above procedure ensures one was actually loaded.

I really am having a hard time detecting a difference between maps on my PCIII. I am loading them correctly and it seems like everything is working fine, but when I ride with different maps, I really can't tell the difference. I have tried the Wally map for a stock FJR and the Map that comes with the PCIII.
If you load the zero map, does that return the FI to default values? I would think you had to hook the 02 sensor back up, and that would make it as if you didn't have a PCIII.

I am interested in trying that to make sure the PCIII is doing what it's supposed to, that way I could try stock vs. custom map to see if I notice the difference then without having to uninstall the PCIII.
Did you disconnect the o2 sensor? If you didn't, the ECU will adjut for any changes that the PCIII makes. In other words, you won't notice any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like the guys with the '06's really notice the difference.

On my '05 the difference was more subtle. One thing I really noticed was the way the Wally map made my bike "flat" under high acceleration.

Both maps smoothed out the vibes at 4100-4500 RPM, but did not totally eliminate them.