pdp transfer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
I am trying to purchase another members PDP from D&H. The problem as I understand it is outlined pretty well here:

pdp discussion

If I understand this correctly, the other member that put down his deposit cannot get his money back since D&H doesn't have it anymore. D&H won't get the deposit back from mama yamaha until he actually buys the bike. In order for me to buy his PDP, and for him to get his money back, he has to buy the bike and then I have to buy it from him. Of course we both have to finance.

Is there anyway on earth for us to accomplish all of this if we have to meet in Alabama to do this? I don't understand the process/paperwork involved enough to estimate how long all of this will take.

Is there anyway on earth for us to accomplish all of this if we have to meet in Alabama to do this? I don't understand the process/paperwork involved enough to estimate how long all of this will take.
It sounds like this is a situation where it would be worth it for you and the other party to agree to "eat" the $500 deposit and just have the dealer sell you the bike when it comes in.

I am trying to purchase another members PDP from D&H. The problem as I understand it is outlined pretty well here:pdp discussion

If I understand this correctly, the other member that put down his deposit cannot get his money back since D&H doesn't have it anymore. D&H won't get the deposit back from mama yamaha until he actually buys the bike. In order for me to buy his PDP, and for him to get his money back, he has to buy the bike and then I have to buy it from him. Of course we both have to finance.

Just need to find another buyer and have that buyer also give the deposit to the dealer and then the dealer can refund yours.

If the dealer doesn't want to do that then have the buyer take over your deal as is using your deposit and then they can give you the difference outside the dealer transaction.

I am going through the same situation now myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the problem, from what I understand you can't buy another persons order. Yamaha only gives the $500 back to the dealer if the person that put it down buys the bike.

The problem for me is that if he gives up the down payment there is no way I am getting the bike, D&H already has a waiting list for people to buy unsold bikes, and I am too far down that list to stand a chance.

The only way this works is if he buys the bike and then I buy it from him.

Why not just give the guy $500 out of your pocket? Then he has his deposit back, D&H has their deposit, and you have paid $500 for a deposit. Sounds simple enough to me.

Why not just give the guy $500 out of your pocket? Then he has his deposit back, D&H has their deposit, and you have paid $500 for a deposit. Sounds simple enough to me.
Because then the new buyer is now paying $500 extra for the bike that won't be refunded to anyone and Yamaha keeps the original purchasers's deposit !!! :eek:

YES - THE MATH IS SIMPLE! - It isn't a deposit when it doesn't go towards the purchase price it IS A FEE.

Why not just give the guy $500 out of your pocket?  Then he has his deposit back, D&H has their deposit, and you have paid $500 for a deposit.  Sounds simple enough to me.
Because then the new buyer is now paying $500 extra for the bike that won't be refunded to anyone and Yamaha keeps the original purchasers's deposit !!! :eek:

YES - THE MATH IS SIMPLE! - It isn't a deposit when it doesn't go towards the purchase price it IS A FEE.
My $500 was a deposit, and it did go to the purchase price. When the bike arrived, I just paid the remaining amount. If I would have wanted out of the PDP, the new purchaser would have had to pay the remaining amount as well.

My $500 was a deposit, and it did go to the purchase price. When the bike arrived, I just paid the remaining amount. If I would have wanted out of the PDP, the new purchaser would have had to pay the remaining amount as well.
You are really taking a simple process and making it difficult - you were the PDP purchaser so as far as that goes you are correct as long as you purchase the bike. For another non-PDP purchaser you are WRONG.

Yours WAS a deposit and as long as you purchase the bike it is a deposit. If you opt out and NEVER purchase the bike YAMAHA KEEPS YOUR DEPOSIT. This means if the bike isn't purchased by you the price of the bike will be the full price as though no deposit was made.

Hi All,

I contacted Yamaha about this last year when I 'almost' bought a 2005. A guy pre-ordered it from my local dealership and wanted to get out of the deal. I was told to pay him $500 (therefore returning his deposit) and then the $500 he paid as a deposit would now be 'mine' (as long as I purchased the bike). Yamaha customer service said that it would not have a problem transfering the names on the deposit.

So... it should be 'no problem' :)

Hi All,
I contacted Yamaha about this last year when I 'almost' bought a 2005. A guy pre-ordered it from my local dealership and wanted to get out of the deal. I was told to pay him $500 (therefore returning his deposit) and then the $500 he paid as a deposit would now be 'mine' (as long as I purchased the bike). Yamaha customer service said that it would not have a problem transfering the names on the deposit.

So... it should be 'no problem' :)
Well, no problem is a relative term.

If the original depositor walks away, the dealership can sell the bike at their retail price to a new customer, however they make nothing on the deal with respect to the deposit. Yamaha does indeed keep the deposit, and the commission the dealer would make on the warranty is lost as well.

You cannot transfer the deposit to another person's name through the dealer. You MIGHT be able to do it calling Yamamama directly. I'm not sure about this as I've not looked into it.

Why I know this - I have a deposit on an '06, and a guy looking to buy it. It is correct that I will have to buy the bike and then sell it to him. Problem with that; I pay sales tax and he, in turn, pays sales tax again when he registers it in his state.

If D&H is willing to work with you on this, they're doing it out of the kindness of their heart because they won't be making any $$ on the deal...

Ok, so clearly I am not going to get a response to my question. I posted the link to the pdp discussion because YAMAHA CHANGED THE RULES THIS YEAR! It doesn't matter how PDP transfers worked in the past. I know I have a low post count to this board, but I do have some idea what is going on. So here is the post from Tony O from the thread I linked at the start, hopefully his name carries more weight:

Well Skippy, let me see if I can muster up the intelligence to respond to your post!

First of all the dealer is telling you exactly what he is being told! I am pasting an exerp from the program bulletin that explains it. There is no way that Yamaha can make a customer keep a bike for 6 months and they know it, but they are attempting to stop the fiasco that happened last year with a couple of dealers ordering a substantial amount of bikes on opening day then offering them for sale in all of the cycle trader publications before a lot of people received theirs.

This is from the bulletin:

Incentive Credits: In order to receive a 2006

FJR1300 Priority Delivery deposit credit,

Yamaha will provide the dealer with a list of all

claims submitted on YDS under “Xtras”,

“Motorsports Forms”, “2006 FJR1300 Priority

Delivery Claim Form”. Click on the “View List”

icon to see a list of all Priority Delivery

customer names, choice of model, date and

time submitted and corresponding claim

numbers. A space will be provided for dealer

to enter primary ID of unit delivered to

customer.

Customer name on 2006 FJR1300 Priority

Delivery Claim Form must match the

registered owner’s name entered at time of

warranty registration. Any changes made

to the registered owner’s name within 6

(six) months of warranty date will result in

dealer being charged for any credits

issued on this program.

So as you can see the dealer is telling you the truth.

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Scab, when you say go newbie I hope you are talking about me, because the above conversation comes from a thread you started!?

First of all the dealer is telling you exactly what he is being told! I am pasting an exerp from the program bulletin that explains it. There is no way that Yamaha can make a customer keep a bike for 6 months and they know it, but they are attempting to stop the fiasco that happened last year with a couple of dealers ordering a substantial amount of bikes on opening day then offering them for sale in all of the cycle trader publications before a lot of people received theirs.
This is from the bulletin:

Incentive Credits: In order to receive a 2006

FJR1300 Priority Delivery deposit credit,

Yamaha will provide the dealer with a list of all

claims submitted on YDS under “Xtras”,

“Motorsports Forms”, “2006 FJR1300 Priority

Delivery Claim Form”. Click on the “View List”

icon to see a list of all Priority Delivery

customer names, choice of model, date and

time submitted and corresponding claim

numbers. A space will be provided for dealer

to enter primary ID of unit delivered to

customer.

Customer name on 2006 FJR1300 Priority

Delivery Claim Form must match the

registered owner’s name entered at time of

warranty registration. Any changes made

to the registered owner’s name within 6

(six) months of warranty date will result in

dealer being charged for any credits

issued on this program.

So as you can see the dealer is telling you the truth.

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Scab, when you say go newbie I hope you are talking about me, because the above conversation comes from a thread you started!?
So the results are two fold.

1/. All those dealers ordering on their "employees names" will be somewhat screwed. Just because they want to "deal".

2/. You ordered but either your financial status has changed or you've changed your mind.

Either one will be screwed!

All that because Yamaha decided to institute that PDP crap! Me no comprende de entire enchilada! Bring the fucking bike the same way you bring all other ones and get over it Mr. Yamaha !!

Ok, so clearly I am not going to get a response to my question. I posted the link to the pdp discussion because YAMAHA CHANGED THE RULES THIS YEAR!
I can understand your frustration because some of the answers you received really missed the point but you also have been feeding us information a bit at a time. As I now understand your situation, you are dealing with (1) Yamaha's new PDP policy, (2) D&H decision to sell all PDP non-sales to the highest bidder, and (3) both you and the PDP buyer you are working with need to finance the sale.

Given D&Hs decision not to let the PDP buyer transfer the sale to someone else I don't think there is a workable solution to your problem unless the person you are trying to buy the 06 from would be willing to let you take over his finance contract and transfer the title to you after the bike is paid for. He would be taking a huge risk just to save his $500 deposit and I wouldn't do that except for a very close friend -- and if that were the case you probably wouldn't be posting on this board. It might be possible for you and the PDP buyer to show up together at D&H and if you had a check for the remaining balance then you could pay D&H and he could give you the MOS and the bike or a quit claim deed to it but you would need someone familar with Alabama laws to work out the fine details -- and a lender willing to advance you the funds.

If I were you I would forget this deal wait for a better one. There will be 06s sitting in some dealer's showrooms and after they sit there a few weeks the dealer will be willing to deal. One of my local dealers just sold a brand new 05 that they got from another dealer that is 700 miles away -- who played the game with the PDP and then couldn't sell the bike.

Ok, so clearly I am not going to get a response to my question. I posted the link to the pdp discussion because YAMAHA CHANGED THE RULES THIS YEAR!
RELAX!!!!!

You CLEARLY received several responses/suggestions. That the dealer you are working with doesn't care to work with you is YOUR problem. As long as the dealer isn't stuck with losing the deposit I don't see why they would care but it is up to them I guess as the language indicates that a deposit in non-refundable and will be forfeited.

I took over another's order in 1/2006. I paid a deposit ( to the dealer ) and they got their deposit back. The dealer didn't have to do it but did.

I am now unloading my order to someone else. I will be getting my deposit back when the transaction is done. BTW the person taking mine has already taken over another order ( using the same process ) at another dealer ( husband and wife each getting one ).

There is nothing magical about the deposit.

You CLEARLY received several responses/suggestions. That the dealer you are working with doesn't care to work with you is YOUR problem. As long as the dealer isn't stuck with losing the deposit I don't see why they would care but it is up to them I guess as the language indicates that a deposit in non-refundable and will be forfeited.
I took over another's order in 1/2006. I paid a deposit ( to the dealer ) and they got their deposit back. The dealer didn't have to do it but did.

I am now unloading my order to someone else. I will be getting my deposit back when the transaction is done. BTW the person taking mine has already taken over another order ( using the same process ) at another dealer ( husband and wife each getting one ).

There is nothing magical about the deposit.
You aren't really understanding the problem either. A dealer can't return the deposit to anyone other than the original PDP purchaser - otherwise Yamaha keeps it.

All other deals are just that - bargaining deals with prices and margin determining how a dealer wants to handle the sale. If the bike's price is high enough to return $500 to the original buyer - fine and good. In this case D&H's prices are so close to the bone that they aren't able to - THAT'S THE PROBLEM! :D

If the bike's price is high enough to return $500 to the original buyer - fine and good.  In this case D&H's prices are so close to the bone that they aren't able to - THAT'S THE PROBLEM!  :D
It sounds like the PROBLEM is that D&H has decided not to cut prices to the bone on any PDP order that the buyer backs out of. Its not about the $500 deposit, if it were then a new buyer could pay whatever price D&H orginally agreed to when the orginal buyer made the deposit. D&H is going to lose the deposit but they are going to sell those FJRs for a lot closer to MSPR than they did on the PDP program.

Small profit on any PDP sale, potentially a much larger profit when a buyer backs out of the PDP program because D&H gets a bike on the floor without having to make a deposit.