pdp transfer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like the PROBLEM is that D&H has decided not to cut prices to the bone on any PDP order that the buyer backs out of.  Its not about the $500 deposit, if it were then a new buyer could pay whatever price D&H orginally agreed to when the orginal buyer made the deposit.  D&H is going to lose the deposit but they are going to sell those FJRs for a lot closer to MSPR than they did on the PDP program.
Small profit on any PDP sale, potentially a much larger profit when a buyer backs out of the PDP program because D&H gets a bike on the floor without having to make a deposit.
YOU COULDN"T BE MORE WRONG - Damn - looks like I'll have to do the math for you :eek:

D&H will sell an 06 FJR A for $11,499.00

The original purchaser pays the $500 deposit and owes $10,999.

The original purchaser is the ONLY one D&H can afford to let roll the bike out the door for $10,999 because that is the only way D&H gets the original $500 back!!!

Anyone else desiring to purchase the bike from D&H will have to pay $11,499 and the original guy is out the $500 (Yamaha keeps it, D&H doesn't).

Now if you want to be a good guy and give the original guy his $500 back you will be paying $11,999 for the bike that you could have bought for $11,499 but will still probably be paying less than getting it from any other dealer.

It's the MARGIN that allows dealers to purchase PDP bikes in their family members names knowing they can still sell them for more than $12,000 and just forget about the PDP money.

SIMPLE ENOUGH????? :beee:

This is an example, all numbers are hypothetical, and I don't work for D&H. I did sleep at an Holiday Inn last night :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As I now understand your situation, you are dealing with (1) Yamaha's new PDP policy, (2) D&H decision to sell all PDP non-sales to the highest bidder, .......
For sales to non-PDP buyers D&H does not sell to the highest bidder - they have a waiting list and sell to first come first served at the fixed price.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the PROBLEM is that D&H has decided not to cut prices to the bone on any PDP order that the buyer backs out of.  Its not about the $500 deposit, if it were then a new buyer could pay whatever price D&H orginally agreed to when the orginal buyer made the deposit.  D&H is going to lose the deposit but they are going to sell those FJRs for a lot closer to MSPR than they did on the PDP program.
Small profit on any PDP sale, potentially a much larger profit when a buyer backs out of the PDP program because D&H gets a bike on the floor without having to make a deposit.
YOU COULDN"T BE MORE WRONG - Damn - looks like I'll have to do the math for you :eek:

The original purchaser is the ONLY one D&H can afford to let roll the bike out the door for $10,999 because that is the only way D&H gets the original $500 back!!!

Anyone else desiring to purchase the bike from D&H will have to pay $11,499 and the original guy is out the $500 (Yamaha keeps it, D&H doesn't).

Now if you want to be a good guy and give the original guy his $500 back you will be paying $11,999 for the bike that you could have bought for $11,499 but will still probably be paying less than getting it from any other dealer.

It's the MARGIN that allows dealers to purchase PDP bikes in their family members names knowing they can still sell them for more than $12,000 and just forget about the PDP money.

This is an example, all numbers are hypothetical, and I don't work for D&H. I did sleep at an Holiday Inn last night :D
Couldn't have said it better. This is EXACTLY how it was explained to me by my dealer. Pacman, I feel your pain - I'm the guy in my transaction that'll be losing my five bones...But I'd rather lose 'em than go through a gigantic frickin' hassle.

Thanks to those dipshit dealers for screwing it up last year and selling bikes on ebay.

I will apologize for getting a little testy in my response, but I do want to point out that I did include a link in the original post where this topic was explored in great detail. But it is a long thread to read, and other the other posters on this thread were just acting out of good faith on what had worked in the past.

Anyways, I think the point has just become mute from my point of view because of the tax situation. I was always on the fence as to whether I wanted to purchase a new FJR or get a used one and farkle with the money I saved.

If you have followed this thread then you now realize that the original PDP purchaser will have to buy the bike, paying tax, and then sell the bike to the person that wants to buy the PDP. That buyer will have to then, presumably, have to pay them the total amount paid for the bike, including the tax, and then pay tax on that.

At $11500 plus tax I was willing to go the '06 route for the updates. One thing this forum clearly demonstrates is that the FJR is a wonderful bike with a strong following - the new bikes might be better but no longer worth the hassle for me. I might go to the effort of calling around to see if any local dealers have purchased a bike on their own through the PDP program and are willing to sell it at 11,500, but I am not going to hold my breath on that.

So one final thought on the issue - this is not the dealers problem. It is Yamaha that is holding the $500 from the PDP down payment, and it is Yamaha that will keep that money. Thanks to Tony O I understand why the PDP program makes sense, but this latest wrinkle really needs some more thought IMHO.

YOU COULDN"T BE MORE WRONG - Damn - looks like I'll have to do the math for you  :eek:

This is an example, all numbers are hypothetical, and I don't work for D&H.  I did sleep at an Holiday Inn last night  :D
I may be dense here but ...

To continue with the example the dealer takes a deposit and his parts account is charged. The dealer is effectively not OUT anything at this point.

500 in and 500 out. Did anyone out there have their credit card charge or check made payable to Yammy Motor Corp? I didn't.

Now in order for the dealer to make the same profit on a new deal AND pay back the 500 to the first order they need to have someone take over the deal at the same price, including another 500 in to handle the 500 out.

Yammy may say that a bike already in someone's name and will require another deposit to change this and they may use the threat of losing the deposit to stop dealers from placing orders themselves but that is another issue. Don't have to notify Yammy that anything has changed from the original order. Yammy doesn't show up at delivery to insure the person on the PDP is taking the bike. Doesn't require that the person on the order is the same name on the title. That is crazy to believe that.

BTW the bike registered in someone's name doesn't matter anyway. You can sell a bike and have that changed at any time.

If the dealer wants to sell the bike to someone else they can ( and often do by ordering the bikes for the dealer in the first place ). It doesn't cost them anymore more to do this. The process just starts again.

Right! So if you are going to pay cash might as well buy it and resell it without riding it. You'd actually make $..... IF you sell it for MSRP..... If you finance is a different story...

:punk: :punk:

As I now understand your situation, you are dealing with (1) Yamaha's new PDP policy, (2) D&H decision to sell all PDP non-sales to the highest bidder, .......
For sales to non-PDP buyers D&H does not sell to the highest bidder - they have a waiting list and sell to first come first served at the fixed price.
Do you KNOW this to be true (that D&H is selling the bike to the second buyer for the same price they sold it under the PDP to the original buyer) or is that an assumption on your part? If it is true than that is a another "thumbs up" for D&H because there is nothing from stopping them from selling it to a ssecond buyer at a higher price -- and that is what other dealers have done in the past.

Do you KNOW this to be true (that D&H is selling the bike to the second buyer for the same price they sold it under the PDP to the original buyer) or is that an assumption on your part? If it is true than that is a another "thumbs up" for D&H because there is nothing from stopping them from selling it to a ssecond buyer at a higher price -- and that is what other dealers have done in the past.
What I do know is that I'm 5th on their waiting list and I was quoted a price of $11499 so I guess they get that thumbs up! :D

Do you KNOW this to be true (that D&H is selling the bike to the second buyer for the same price they sold it under the PDP to the original buyer) or is that an assumption on your part?  If it is true than that is a another "thumbs up" for D&H because there is nothing from stopping them from selling it to a second buyer at a higher price -- and that is what other dealers have done in the past.
What I do know is that I'm 5th on their waiting list and I was quoted a price of $11499 so I guess they get that thumbs up! :D
At that price, which has to be pretty close to dealer's cost, I would give them a thumbs up also. I am surprised that they would be willing to sell a bike on the floor for the same price as they were selling it on the PDP program but that sure is a good deal for those on the waiting list -- now you just have to keep your fingers crossed that 5 PDP buyers decide to forfeit their deposits.

-- now you just have to keep your fingers crossed that 5 PDP buyers decide to forfeit their deposits.
SInce they have more than 30 PDP sales chances are good that 5 will change their minds for whatever reason ...... but I am far from bikeless :D and can wait for the next PDP go-around!

Gives me more time to compare the FJR and BMW-GT too :rolleyes:

I believe the solution would be to use the same lawyer that one used for his or her divorce and use that person to represent you for thaking over that tranaction.

what a messy messy situation i got into!!!!!!! :angry:

weekend rider

Here's the deal.....

The dealer can refund the original depositor and take a new deposit from someone else, but he has to warranty register the bike in the original depositors name. After the dealer has received his credit for the deposit from Yamaha he can then transfer the warranty to the new person and all is good. I have refunded several so far and placed another in theiur place.

I know Yamaha says that the dealer will be charged back for any purchases that are done within 6 months, but it would be a cold day in .... before they could enforce that one! They can't tell a customer how long they must keep a bike and the dealer certainly can't do so either. This was just smoke they are blowing trying to keep the dealers from ordering extra bikes in bogus names. If I sell a bike to Tom and he dicides to sell it the next day there is nothing Yamaha or I can do about it! Plain and simple.

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

1-800-YAMAHA-0

Tony,

I want to make sure I have this right - in order for the dealer to get the $500 back from Yamaha the bike has to be registered and warranted in the original purchasers name, they don't actually have to purchase the bike? If so I will pass this along to the guy I have been talking to.

Tony,I want to make sure I have this right - in order for the dealer to get the $500 back from Yamaha the bike has to be registered and warranted in the original purchasers name, they don't actually have to purchase the bike? If so I will pass this along to the guy I have been talking to.
The dealer only has to warranty register the bike with Yamaha in the original depositors name not with the state.

Tony