Pelican type top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
I plan to mount a Pelican type case as a top box but I'd like to be able to remove it fairly easily for security reasons.

Any ideas??

I plan to mount a Pelican type case as a top box but I'd like to be able to remove it fairly easily for security reasons.
Any ideas??

If you use a rack such as the OEM top box rack (which is a dandy luggage rack all by itself), you could fab up some studs by using longer bolts and cutting off the heads. Then use bow tie cotter pins in holes through the top of the resulting stud. That's the way I mounted mine on my KLX. You need big rubber and steel fender washers on both sides to seal the holes.

Are you mounting this on a Gary Crowley (Garauld) rack? I just installed one of his fine racks on my '05 and am also thinking of installing a Pelican on it but have been hesitant because I have not figured out how to do the mount. I hope we get some great feedback here!

Any ideas??

If you use a rack such as the OEM top box rack (which is a dandy luggage rack all by itself), you could fab up some studs by using longer bolts and cutting off the heads. Then use bow tie cotter pins in holes through the top of the resulting stud. That's the way I mounted mine on my KLX. You need big rubber and steel fender washers on both sides to seal the holes.

My plan is to mount it like HMarc has in the pics below

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/images/RRack-3.jpg

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/images/RRack-1.jpg

I'd like to make something that had 2 front attachments that would drop into the rack then slide forward. Then a single rear mount that would be like your bolts with cotter pins. The more I think about it having 3 bolts with cotter pins would fine too.

Hmmm, bow tie cotter pins :blink: got any pics?

Then use bow tie cotter pins in holes through the top of the resulting stud.

Hmmm, bow tie cotter pins :blink: got any pics?

Like this??

RClip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might laugh, but velcro is very strong. Doesn't require penetrating the case either.

Kurt

You might laugh, but velcro is very strong. Doesn't require penetrating the case either.
Kurt
Um, yeah. Velcro can be very strong especially that interlock stuff but I think I'll stick to something more positive like nuts and bolts.

i mounted mine to a rack gerald made for me...

he added mounting gussetts, along with sending nylon standoffs...

since the nylon stand off's are 1 1/4 inches in diameter, they help keep the box water proof...

i secured the box with stainless steel button head allen bolts gerauld sent, and i lock it down with wing nuts inside the case... easy off/on when i need it, not easy for the casual thief...

warning: overloading the pelican will crack the mounts... if you can leave the factory rack on, that will help distrubitute the weight...

ask iggy for his cracked experience...

dana

Just found it. A friend on a V-Strom has this spiffy Caribou system. Picture doesn't show the locking mechanism very well, but essentially these folks take a Pelican case and add two tabs in the back that when combined with a lock hold the whole thing to a plate.

I think that plate shows could mount to an FJR with a bit of customization (meaning drilling a few more holes in things and your existing luggage rack).

Concur on being careful about mounting a Pelican case with just 3 points in the back. Lots of flex and tends to crack the subframe. I ended up drilling 4 holes in my existing rack and mounting a plate with nylon bushings to it...and it's much happier.

Concur on being careful about mounting a Pelican case with just 3 points in the back. Lots of flex and tends to crack the subframe. I ended up drilling 4 holes in my existing rack and mounting a plate with nylon bushings to it...and it's much happier.
Is that mod detailed in your "cracked sub-frame thread" ?

Is that mod detailed in your "cracked sub-frame thread" ?
Best documented in My IBR Prep Blog - Part 3 or Part 2 or Part 1.

I should note that we (meaning BigChiefStinkyPants and I with a cracked to bejeezus Gen I frame....which his is the bike in the original Pelican write-up) noted that the Gen II frames (or at least on his wife, IronMaiden's, '06) was uncracked after many, many miles. The subframe is definitely different in design and *may* be that Gen II frames are made of sterner stuff.

Just consider it a cautionary tail to mitigate flex as much as you can.

Like this:
Pelican%20Mounts.jpg
That might work only inside out. I'd put the pins on the outside so the case could be removed without removing all the stuff inside. My objective is to be able to remove the case at night when I travel and there's something important in the case. For security when it's on the bike I could replace one of the cotter pins with a small padlock.

That might work only inside out. I'd put the pins on the outside so the case could be removed without removing all the stuff inside. My objective is to be able to remove the case at night when I travel and there's something important in the case. For security when it's on the bike I could replace one of the cotter pins with a small padlock.

Rick, any update on this? Were you able to rig something up?

Thanks

Thanks
I like the cotter pin design.... however, I think I will use wing nuts instead. I think they will make more of a solid mount and still provide quick removal.

Richard

Thanks
Unfortunately I haven't come up with any cool snarky mounting system, just nuts and bolts so far. The cotter pin idea is handy but I'm not sure how to make it snug enough to prevent the case from rattling around and damaging the mounting plate. Speaking of the mounting plate I went through three of those before I got it right :blink: CanadianFJR's idea with wing nuts might just be the trick with a small cotter pin to prevent the wing nuts from vibrating loose.

My Pelican case on my KLR is mounted full time but to keep it from vibrating and to provide some dampening I used rubber grommets over the bolts between the case and the mounting plate and used the large fender washers inside the case. The grommets are usually available in a bunch of different sizes in the local hardware store. They also compress slightly so I would imagine that would keep some pressure on any pin that you might use.

I know this may sound stupid... but try leaving your pelican case in place, and buy a pack of ziplock big bags if the appropriate size for your case. These are waterproof, vacuum pack-able, and cheap. I use these in the sidecase and trunk of the stock bags, and they work really well. Use one until there's a whole in it, or the zipper gives, or the handle breaks, and then reach for one of your spares.

Just an idea. Works well for me.

I know this may sound stupid... but try leaving your pelican case in place, and buy a pack of ziplock big bags if the appropriate size for your case. These are waterproof, vacuum pack-able, and cheap. I use these in the sidecase and trunk of the stock bags, and they work really well. Use one until there's a whole in it, or the zipper gives, or the handle breaks, and then reach for one of your spares.
Just an idea. Works well for me.
Not stupid at all but my main purpose for the pelican case is to carry my camera equipment and also to convert to a rally workstation. So the ziplock idea has some limitations for my application, ya know.

Latest posts