Penguin in the dirt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
MSF Dirt Riding Class 05-07

This isn’t the way that most people would celebrate their 27th wedding anniversary but we’re not most people. Taking this class was something that we both wanted to do, and we had a blast. Of course, we’re both paying for it today with sore and aching muscles.

The Honda Rider Education center in Colton CA has an off-road training center, adjacent to their regular MSF range. The Environmental facility offers education to the local community as well as a place to learn to ride dirt bikes. Four different habitats are re-created including desert and chaparral.

Honda provides everything the fledgling dirt rider could possibly need, even cold drinks. We were kitted out from top to toe, in Honda red, black and white gear. The vast array of gear is all clean, fresh and tidily arranged. The sizes ranged from little kid up to very big guy.

Coach Eddie looked after us for the day, providing personal instruction for just the two of us. It didn’t cost a whole lot more to have the semi-private lesson. That way, we didn’t have to spend a lot of time on the basics of riding a bike. Those lessons moved through real fast, as we satisfied the requirements to move to the next step.

Andy was assigned to ride a Honda 250 which was a perfect fit for him. Initially, our coach had chosen a 150 for me but the seat height was way too high. The 100 allowed me to have both feet down flat, which was a great novelty. There are very few bikes that allow me to do that. Later, I learned that this bike has just seven horsepower. It’s a tenth of the power that my little Ninja has, and an even smaller fraction of the FJR’s power. Still, it was plenty for what was needed on this occasion.

The first exercises involved riding around cones on the practice pad. We had to get used to the slightly squirrelly feel of the bikes on dirt. Normally, that kind of feeling induces me to panic, knowing that bad things are going to happen very soon. There was a lot to learn about riding position. The use of correct technique allows better control of the bike, with less fatigue. Sure, I understand and appreciate that, but once on the bike, I kept forgetting. It was the same thing with getting on and off the bike. I’m conditioned to keeping the bars turned left, and not retracting the side stand until I’m astride the bike. This was all new and different, doing things the opposite way around.

So we rode around, and around the cones. It’s no exaggeration to say that I had enough to think about during this basic drill alone. Posture had to be considered; sit forward, balls of the feet on pegs, elbows up and look ahead. Now add in some counter weighting for the turns. Lean the bike, weight the outer peg. Elbows up. Now do it all standing up. Add a gear shift here and there. The skills were transitioned towards making tighter turns. I completely forgot about using the friction zone. Sure, it’s instinctual to do it on a street bike, but my brain was full of the other stuff. Time for a break!

We learned about riding over obstacles, practicing with a small then a bigger log. I could handle the smaller one OK but the bigger one left me feeling out of control as I got over it.

After partaking of Honda’s generous supply of ice cold drinks, we did some trail riding. Coach Eddie led us around the park at a very gentle pace. We rode over basic trails, rocks, mud, sand, bigger rocks, a wooden bridge and some hoop-de-hoos. I lost count of the number of ‘Oh sh*t’ moments, when I was about to fall off the bike. Amazingly enough, I stayed more or less upright. At one point, I fell behind the leader and didn’t see the path he took. I saw him waiting for me just ahead, and set my course towards him. I saw him laughing as I tackled a steep dip with lots of rocks, in a very clumsy manner. As I breathlessly fought my way back onto the trail, he pointed to the easier way around that he had taken.

The sand pit had been refilled earlier that day, and soft sand pushed up to the tops of the hills with a bulldozer. Our lesson about riding along the side of a hill was complicated by the deep, soft sand. I wasn’t at all keen on that. We learned how to do a u-turn and a K-turn on the side of a hill. I can’t say that part of the class was too much fun though. I was petrified for about 95% of that section.

After lunch, we had our choice of what we wanted to practice the most. I wanted to build my skills with the slower turns, so we did a lot of that. We rounded out the class with a few laps of the trail.

I could hardly believe that there was so much to learn. Having ridden on the road for a while, I’ve got a pretty good idea of how to do it. Sure, there’s still a lot to learn but I know what I’m doing for the most part. This was all new. I’m back to being a complete beginner, which doesn’t sit too well with me. I wanted to be GOOD at it, immediately. I guess I’ll resign myself to having to practice. At least that will justify the shopping spree on the way home. We spent a big chunk of $$ at Chaparral Motorsports.

Colton07044.jpg

Colton07057.jpg

Nice fun stuff ...thanks for sharing.

Be careful, dirt riding is addictive! You'll likey find it much more appealing than street riding in short order. Yes, the skill sets are way different. My experience is that dirt riders take to street riding very quickly ...but not the other way around. so, be patient and continue to work on important skills. IMO there is nothing like keeping your street skills sharp like dirt riding. Dirt riders are often much more comfortable and adroit at maneuvering on the street when it comes to dicey situations -My opinion.

your class sounds like it is a first-class operation. Thanks for sharing and thanks againf for sharing those dirty thoughts of yours :)

Good for you and hubby, SP! Dirt is great. When you're ready, come on up and you can ride my track :rolleyes: .

Good for you and hubby, SP! Dirt is great. When you're ready, come on up and you can ride my track :rolleyes: .
Thanks. We might just take you up on that! Andy has already ordered his bike - a Yamaha 250. I'm still thinking about what to get. Perhaps you can advise. I was very comfortable on the Honda 100, with almost a flat foot on the floor. The Yamaha 125 with small wheels is even better, but the bigger wheel model is proportionately higher. How much difference does wheel size make when riding? Is it worth sacrificing engine size for that firm footing? I'm used to street riding, with just my toes touching at a stop, but this is all so different. During the many, 'Oh Shit!' moments, I was very glad to get my feet down.

Jill

How much difference does wheel size make when riding? Is it worth sacrificing engine size for that firm footing? I'm used to street riding, with just my toes touching at a stop, but this is all so different. During the many, 'Oh Shit!' moments, I was very glad to get my feet down.
It's only worth it for a very short while. After a couple weekends on dirt, the small wheel size will become a problem, not an advantage. You are better off starting on blocks if you must, or stick to a bike that you can just touch your toes down.

Of course, I'm speaking of pursuing speed and agility through corners. If you are mostly interested in riding woods with frequent stops and Gatorade opportunities, then the ability and confidence of placing flat feet down is a good thing.

When it comes to Motocross conditions, every inch you raise the seat is one less inch you have to manuever your body over the bike. You've already experienced how physically challenging that can be! :)

You might consider the taller bike and have the suspension lowered while you become more comfortable. Just make sure they do not cut anything other than the spring(s).

Jeff

How much difference does wheel size make when riding? Is it worth sacrificing engine size for that firm footing? I'm used to street riding, with just my toes touching at a stop, but this is all so different. During the many, 'Oh Shit!' moments, I was very glad to get my feet down.
It's only worth it for a very short while. After a couple weekends on dirt, the small wheel size will become a problem, not an advantage. You are better off starting on blocks if you must, or stick to a bike that you can just touch your toes down.

Of course, I'm speaking of pursuing speed and agility through corners. If you are mostly interested in riding woods with frequent stops and Gatorade opportunities, then the ability and confidence of placing flat feet down is a good thing.

When it comes to Motocross conditions, every inch you raise the seat is one less inch you have to manuever your body over the bike. You've already experienced how physically challenging that can be! :)

You might consider the taller bike and have the suspension lowered while you become more comfortable. Just make sure they do not cut anything other than the spring(s).

Jeff
+1

I just sold a small wheel TTR125 all the same reasons. And a small wheel will grab and hold you into every rut you come across and won't have near the traction of a larger one, particularly in loose or sandy stuff. IMHO (and experience) a small wheel bike is much harder to ride in any terrain than a larger one once you get your confidence up. That's all you need, confidence. You already have the skills you just don't know it. Besides, putting your feet down at every opportunity is a bad habit you need to break in the dirt. Good write up and keep havin' fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, putting your feet down at every opportunity is a bad habit you need to break in the dirt. Good write up and keep havin' fun.
Who knew that the FJR forum would be such a great source for advice about dirt riding? Thanks guys.

I can touch my toes down on the 125 with the bigger wheels. That's the kind of footing I'm used to on my street bikes, which are a lot heavier. I'm actually reluctant to put a foot down in the dirt, after years of street riding. I see it as a bad habit, liable to break an ankle. However, my lack of skill, plus the panic factor yesterday led to several foot-before-butt down moments. Every time, I was able to keep the bike to a place where I could right it easily.

So, I shall stay away from the smaller wheeled bike. Maybe one day I'll ride Andy's 250 and to heck with even touching the floor at all! I can jump onto it as I let the clutch out! (But I'll need to do a lot of skill building before then) :)

Silver P that is great that your are tackling the dirt with class. ditto on what Reno John said about dirt riders going to street.

About being short, Larry Rossler who is a pro rider only stands 5' 6" and barley touches the ground. He is one of the best for GNCC dirt riding. He just did the Baja 1000 a couple of years ago I think he road KTM900. What I am trying to say stick with it and soon you will be able to ride with out touching the ground and will have lost all that unfounded fear. Larry Possler is about 50 yrs old.

Check with Rossler Motor Spots about parts that are available for lowering which ever bike you get. good luck

weekend rider :) :D

Size is everything! Go for the bigger bike as you get used to it you will realise that the smaller one would have been no good in a very short time.

Great write up, keep up the practice!

My friends son is 5'6 and flies on a 250 KTM. He just moved up from a 125 and took to it like a duck to water. Don't even consider a 2 stroke, much less rider friendly than four strokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good tip, Make sure you purchase one with electric start on it.

You will love it when you stall on a hill, just push the button amd off you go

Here is a good tip, Make sure you purchase one with electric start on it.
You will love it when you stall on a hill, just push the button amd off you go

Already got that one figured, thanks. I borrowed a friend's Yamaha 125, on which I can reach the points of my toes to the ground. That was enough balance for kick starting on flat, level dirt but I was screwed when I stalled the bike in deep sand. Had to get off and go around the other side to start it. That's not going to work on a hill!

Jill