Penske 8975 vs 8993

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becoyote

Reaction score
My newly acquired 07 just blew out a fork seal which forces my hand to at least rebuild the forks with the proper springs up front.

I wasn't quite ready financially but since there is a group buy on and the upgraded front would just highlite the worn out shock in the back, I'll probably go ahead with a shock too.

My question is other than the ease of adjustment, am I likely to see any real world difference between a Penske 8975 and a Penske 8993? I ride pretty aggressively on occasion but would never do a track day. 90% of my riding would be commuting or touring. About $100 difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already been spoiled by Beemers with Ohlins and an 06 FJR I bought used with the high end Penske and full AK20 cartridges.

Now the boy needs braces and the girl is getting close to college. I've sold off more expensive bikes and am settling into this 07 with 29k on it. It will be my ride till the kids quit sucking me dry. I have the $100 kind of sort of. I have it if really makes a difference but the law of diminishing returns

may apply in this case.

If it is 10% more $$$ and 10% better I can do it.

10% more and 3% better and I should send the money straight to the orthodontist.

I assume you mean 8983, not 93. Anyway both are great but for the street, you would not notice the difference. I have a Penske on my track bike for years and have been very pleased with it.

From Penske site:

What is the advantage of the 8983 over the 8975

There a few advantages, one is fitment. The 8983 has more stroke which allows it to work on more applications. Another advantage is it has a larger nitrogen area which helps with consistency over a race period. As a shock heats up, the nitrogen pressure will increase with heat, this will cause a different feel from start to finish. This will also directly affect tire wear.

All I can say is I have the 8983(w/remote) on my '07 and it was the best money I spent on the bike along with the GP suspension fork upgrade. I just rode it yesterday and find that I can be a lot more aggressive with the '07 than the '15.

Good replies. I am definitely getting one or the other and leaning towards the high end.

Also not sure if I should go with the group buy or take my chances on a black friday deal.

^^^^ If history repeats, the last two years have yielded Black Friday deals that will definitely save you a few $$$!

I picked up a 8983 for my Tenere for less than $700 a couple years ago.

--G

I think that is going to be my strategy. I ordered the springs and seals on the group buy because I need them ASAP.

Going to take my chances on a black friday deal on the shock.