Penske 8983 question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaJudge

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the outside diameter is of the remote reservoir? I tried to no avail to find it in the Penske specs.

Thanks!

Mine is out of the holder right now. I got 1.930 (49.3 mm). I guess that would be close enough.

W/O pulling it out of the mount, I measure 1.929"
--G

Mine is out of the holder right now. I got 1.930 (49.3 mm). I guess that would be close enough.

Clearly one of you is wrong.
not_i.gif
no.gif

So, curious, did you guys take multiple measurements and average them, or just one measurement and hope that the tolerances for "Roundess" were really tight?
biggrin.png

--G
Clearly one of you is wrong. :not_i: :no:
I blame moisture expansion. It's wetter in Washington.
That's gotta be it Tom...the frogs are looking for dry ground around here!
Measured mine with a 1" - 2" mic...obviously one of our instruments is out of calibration. LOL

--G

--G
Clearly one of you is wrong.
not_i.gif
no.gif
I blame moisture expansion. It's wetter in Washington.
That's gotta be it Tom...the frogs are looking for dry ground around here!
Measured mine with a 1" - 2" mic...obviously one of our instruments is out of calibration. LOL

--G
Maybe you squeezed harder?
no.gif

When I had the shock serviced a couple weeks ago, I made the mistake of sending in the mounting bushing at the top of the shock in the ball mount. They lost half of that, and trying to replace that is what has kept the OEM shock on the bike. Well I got a part that was the wrong size, so I've been measuring and using the micrometer to describe what's wrong, and what I need. I finally got hold of an engineer at Penske and apparently my shock uses the old version of the bushing. Anyway, when you get to the 1/100th of a millimeter, measurements are just a bit dicey with consumer instruments...the correct one is on the right. Penske was cutting the new part today.

668CBF0C-32A6-4BAB-BD68-92DDD55145E5_1.jpg

The infamous 1.930" diameter reserve cylinder:

50B67CEA-DB51-4D22-936F-35494F0BE6B2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: