Penske 8983 shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWWobble

Reaction score
I have a question for anybody who has installed a Penske 8983 or 8987 shock.

Can you get to the pre-load adjuster from the left or right side?? what I mean is how accessible is the pre-load adjuster?

Trying to decide Ohlins YA707 versus Penske. I know remote preload is in the Ohlins favor, but I don't change the preload more than a couple times a year. I have a Penske 8983 on my FZ-1 and like the way the shock works -- but don't know if that mechanism sits low enough to reach when installed on an FJR.

TIA for any help you can give. Enjoy the forum. Though I seldom post, I've learned much from all you folks over the years. Many thanks.

I am able to get mine from the right side, just reaching in front of the passenger peg support. Not a problem on a GenI, and I'm pretty sure the Gen 2 has enough room. The shock comes with an adjustment tool and it fits easily into the holes on the adjustment collar.

Last edited by a moderator:
GENII, I go in from the left side. As Tom notes, the adjustment tool fits the collar and works well enough. Not as handy as hydraulic preload, but for the cost difference...

I change from one-up to two-up with both preload and ride height adjustments, about a 15 minute job once you've done it a couple times.

--G

8983 on my gen1. I access the preload adjuster from th left side. There is a space created by removing the stock preload adjuster lever that gives a good shot at the preload collar using the Penske tool. Not as easy as hydraulic adjustment but I, likeyou, only adjust a few times a year.

OK, thank you for your responses, I appreciate. You've confirmed what I needed to know.
rb

That I don't know my left from my right.
fool.gif

I have an 8983 on my Gen III (which I believe is identical to a Gen II from the gas tank aft). Easy-peasy acess from the right side. Once you have your pre-load settings memorized or written down, it's about a five minute job to go from one to another.

Also If /when you get the Penske and have it set up for you (single) take a paint stick and mark the collar.. Then set up and test for two up riding and mark with a different color paint stick. makes it very easy to go from one adj. to another. dots on the damper adjustments work too! good luck bluejag

Last edited by a moderator:
Also If /when you get the Penske and have it set up for you (single) take a paint stick and mark the collar.. Then set up and test for two up riding and mark with a different color paint stick. makes it very easy to go from one adj. to another. dots on the damper adjustments work too! good luck bluejag
Yes, good idea, thanks. I do have an 8983 on my 07 FZ-1 and I marked the preload adjuster ring just to see if it moves while riding -- since I don't lock it tight with a set screw. (It doesn't). It's been a good set it and forget it shock, but I only ride it solo. The few times a year I ride the FJR two up with luggage, I'll probably do as escapefjrtist suggests, increase preload as well as increase ride height. Whatever, what I'm getting from all this is I don't really need remote preload given the Penske makes sense otherwise.

--rb

as well as increase ride height.
I turned out the height adjuster on my Penske 11mm to give the rear end of the bike about a two inch rise. The bike is still a fat pig, but it steers faster and I have a little more ground clearance now.

Now I have a 2x4 for a kickstand plate and the center stand won't lift the back tire off the ground.

Yes, good idea, thanks. I do have an 8983 on my 07 FZ-1 and I marked the preload adjuster ring just to see if it moves while riding -- since I don't lock it tight with a set screw. (It doesn't). It's been a good set it and forget it shock, but I only ride it solo. The few times a year I ride the FJR two up with luggage, I'll probably do as escapefjrtist suggests, increase preload as well as increase ride height. Whatever, what I'm getting from all this is I don't really need remote preload given the Penske makes sense otherwise.

--rb
I initially thought I would miss the hydraulic preload...the Penske makes it simple.

FWIW, I add preload and ride height to match my one-up measurements. With the SO, bags & trunk I ended up with +7mm of preload and +7mm of ride height (at the shock) to make up for the extra load. These adjustments bring the (loaded) steering geometry back to normal compared with solo settings.

--G