Penski 8975 shock settings.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimd

Reaction score
I have installed a 8975 Pensli shock in my 2007 FJR AE with ABS. There is very little room for adjusting the the Compression screw (the top one). I wound up drilling a hole in the rear fender and removing the bolts from the ABS bracket to lower it then putting in a long allen wrench in to turn the adjusting screw. I don't want to do this to often so I'm asking is anybody knows a better way and/or know how many clicks out I should put my Compression adjustment. I weigh 205 without gear. the FJR is stock. The rebound came with 16 clicks out and the spring was loose.

Thanks

You got the adjustment tool? I found it's pretty easy to adjust compression without going through the rear fender! Did you self-install?

I have a Penske 8983, but here are my recommended settings:

shock R=15-17, C=8-11, 40mm rider sag

When setting sat, don't forget to loosen the two set screws and then tighten them up when you are done.

I just had Traxxion Suspension install a 8975 on my 2008, I weigh 175lbs. The settings they used were Compression 34 out, Rebound 28 out, Preload 9mm. They used a 800 lb spring. I also had ;them install AK 20's in the forks. Wow, what a different bike.

You got the adjustment tool? I found it's pretty easy to adjust compression without going through the rear fender! Did you self-install?
Yes, I self installed. The bracket that holds the rectifier is in the way this is the same bracket that hold the "soft-hard" valve adjustment. Which I removed the valve but had to leave the bracket because it holds the rectifier and the ABS Valve.

What do you mean by "the spring was loose"?
The locking set screws were not tight and the ring that pushes down on the spring was not adjusted so the spring was loose until i started screwing down the lock ring to set my sag. The rebound adjustment was 16 clicks out but I don't know how many clicks our the compression was, my fault for not checking before I put it in.