PGR mission to San Francisco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back home. The best 472 miles of my life.
Well, I guess that sums it up just about right.
This mission was beyond comprehension unless you were there. After the family went into the church, and before the Hero arrived, as we stood in formation with our flags, the kid's mother came back outside and personally thanked each one of us. We all responded with "It's our honor". It was all I could do to get the words out of my mouth at that point.

At Golden Gate National Cemetery. standing on the largest lawn I've ever stood upon, seeing the thousands of marble markers for all those who have served, some I saw back to WWI, was incredible.

I'm emotionally hungover.

FJR content- While we waited outside during the church service, two of the other riders congregated near our bikes. One guy was riding a '91 Venture and looking at an '07 AE to replace it with and the other guy said he also owns an '04 FJR and was extolling the virtues of our great mount. The lady I lead home told Don and I she almost bought an '03 back when, but backed out after some issues with the local dealer. I don't blame her. Good dealers seem to be few & far between.

I also got to use my blasters (after I was safely out of harms way) when a big rig tried to put a pincer move on me against a concrete guardrail on the way there. He heard 'em, moved back into his original lane, then gave a big ol' "Sorry" wave as I went by. Shit happens, he was forgiven, and will probably look a little harder next time he moves over to pass.

This mission was beyond comprehension unless you were there. After the family went into the church, and before the Hero arrived, as we stood in formation with our flags, the kid's mother came back outside and personally thanked each one of us. We all responded with "It's our honor". It was all I could do to get the words out of my mouth at that point.
The way she said Thank You.. while looking me straight in the eyes... while tears flowed from my eyes.. even though I was trying to not show them.. she saw.. she knew. I knew. Undescribable. A total stranger I would have never met before and now will never forget.
++++ Yeah.. You never mentioned that part.. I was prepared for the mileage, the 28 deg F temps in the morning, the standing at attention for long periods of time (even while back muscles were cramping, the hot temperatures during the day... but I was not prepared for the emotions. And maybe that's the best part. Tx again Toe. dcarver

The way she said Thank You.. while looking me straight in the eyes... while tears flowed from my eyes.. even though I was trying to not show them.. she saw.. she knew. I knew. Undescribable. A total stranger I would have never met before and now will never forget.
++++ Yeah.. You never mentioned that part.. I was prepared for the mileage, the 28 deg F temps in the morning, the standing at attention for long periods of time (even while back muscles were cramping, the hot temperatures during the day... but I was not prepared for the emotions. And maybe that's the best part. Tx again Toe. dcarver
Thanks guys, for being there for the family and to honor our fallen.

TC and DC,

Thanks for the reports and thanks for taking the time out of your lives to do the right thing. :clapping:

I met a couple of guys on the last PGR mission that were purchasing FJR's. One was riding a Triumph Sprint and the other a Harley FLHTCDEFGHIJKLMNOP....