PHIDs vs Hella FF200 HIDs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
Iggy, WC or anyone with knowledge of this subject.

I need your combined wisdom. The two of you did a side by side comparo of the PHIDs and the Hella FF200 HIDs. I initially intended to get the Hellas because they were, well more light. More=better. Now concerns about finding a spot for the ballasts on an '06 for the Hellas combined with the good deal on the group buy has me thinking seriously about the PHIDs.

This is the problem comparing any two lights, to get good info on which performs better. Your left to look at brochures, compare web sites or read testimonials from people you never met. None of which gives you any real straight info to compare apples to apples.

My question is, can you quantify how much better the Hellas performed than the PHIDs? I know this won't be easy to answer and that you didn't do any kind of measurement to test the two lights. If you could just give me your best estimation if the Hellas were 20%, 50% , 100% better, what ever you think from what you two saw that night. Thanks!

If I had my GD new bike I might even be able to see for myself if the FF200 ballasts would fit some where but nooooo. <_<

Anyone who's been paying attention the last 2-3 years knows that the de-facto standard for aux lights within the LD community are the Philips HID (PHID) lamps.
Another aspect about these lamps that make them the favorite of Long Distance riders is their versatility. The ignitors are built directly into the rear of the lamp, with allows the user to mount the ballasts anywhere on the bike that is convenient.
Isn't that good enough? I'm sure the hellas put out a bit more light, but they're big (like Gay Al) and more hassle to install. Did you see the demo on Farklemasters? Who really needs more light than that?

Since we were out that night obstensibly to take photos with Warchild's son's camera...frankly I didn't look a whole bunch at the different because what was on film was going to be the proof we were going to analyze. It just sucks that the camera crapped out due to the cold.

Gut says maybe 10% to 20% more photons were making it out because of the sheer size and efficiency difference of the FF200 reflectors. Maybe what was more noticable was the FF200s filled in the scene a little bit more smoothly and over a slightly wider area. It seemed a fuller view. But then again, color temperature was also different. Get your night vision and who knows.

For your '06 I would seriously not underestimate finding a home for the ballasts. I still need to resolve my right side ballast this weekend and could meaasure if you want. You might want to mock up with a block of wood. It's fairly close to finding a home for a hunk of 2"x4" about 4 inches long with a 24" or so leash.

For me it was a no-brainer because of my score off eBay. Truth is if I had a choice at the same price and not had to fiddle with all this placement crap....I'd actually think about PHIDs.

Another person to ask is dougc on this board. He's had his FF200's longer than I.

Here's your mock-up size if you're thinking about the Hella FF200. The ballast/igniter assembly itself is 3.5x3.1x1.35. To be safe with the electric connections change the 3.5 dimension a full 5.0 inches with the radius bending of the cables. I would call the high tension wire to the reflector to be 16" long.....maybe 16.5" if you really stretch it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be going after the PHIDs.

Trying to wedge these giant Hella ballasts in the nose of a pre-2006 bike is already a huge ass-pain, as Ignacio's Panels C & D clearly show... they are noticably bulged out of their normal position (at least for the moment, until Iggy has another go at attempting to re-position them).

But on a 2006 FJR, you might just find the Hellas are simply not doable. There is considerably less space to work with within the nose cowling of a 2006 compared to previous model years. If 2003-2005 owners can barely fit the Hella ballasts now, I'm really hard-pressed to think they are going to fit okay in the much smaller space in the 2006 cowling. This is where the PHIDs really shine, as you can place your PHID ballasts (which are also much smaller than the Hellas) ANYWHERE on the bike you want... even the tail section.

Because the Hella FF200 is an early-generation HID setup, the ignitor and ballast are one unit, and thus it MUST be located in close proximity to the lamp itself. This is why Ignacio and others have had to really wrestle with the Hella ballast placement. This isn't the case with the PHIDs, since it is a 3rd-generation setup, and the ignitor is built directly into the rear of the PHID lamp (the ignitor is the blue module you see here):

LT_finalinstall_wiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen the PHID but do have the ff200's They are somewhat of a challenge to install with the igniters and ballast and I have hid low beams so I also had to make room for them.

Now for the GOOD. These light KICK ASS when I switch them on the road ahead is like daylight. I am very plesaed but have no comparison to the PHID's.

Because the Hella FF200 is an early-generation HID setup, the ignitor and ballast are one unit, and thus it MUST be located within 12" of the lamp itself.
Just to be clear....I did measure the length of cable between the ignitor/ballast and it's 16" to the lamp.

That said, I haven't yet seen an '06 and was going off pictures and guesswork. If WC say there's even less room up in the nose area then I wouldn't take the chance myself and go with the PHIDs.

Thanks everybody. It sounds like the difference in light won't justify the trouble the FF200 will cause me.