phillips xtreme +80 bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrshanta

Reaction score
Phillips x-treme +80 bulbs quick review.

I just installed and tested the above bulbs from stock and wanted to give some feedback. From day one, the stock bulbs seemed lacking in lumen output. The reflectors seemed like the best I have ever seen as the light spread and the low beam cut off point to keep from blinding oncoming drivers was well designed. With the winter coming on and more and more night time riding hours were at hand I wanted to increase the headlight output without upgrading to the H.I.D. systems due to cost and complexity. I had hoped these bulbs would offer some increase. I was happy to see (pun intended) that they did. :yahoo:

1) the brightness seemed to be increased by about 40-50% by my crude estimates.

2) the high beam projected much further down the road and I didn't seem to loose the low beam fill up close.

3) both low and high beam pattern seemed to also be much wider to the side of the road than stock.

4) I paid $53 shipped from SUV lighting and shipping was fast. I think it was a worthwhile upgrade but, I am still going to add some FF50's driving beams to the bike because just this upgrade alone made the bike more fun to ride at night.

I am curious how long these bulbs will last. I have heard some very short lifespans with the PIAAs. If they last, I am interested in changing.

Canadian FJR

That is a valid point. I think when trying to squeeze more lumens out of the same technology may put more strain on the filament itself but, only time will tell. :glare:

I am curious how long these bulbs will last. I have heard some very short lifespans with the PIAAs. If they last, I am interested in changing.

Canadian FJR

Does the "80" stand for watts? I believe, Warchild and others, have warned that anything past the stock 55's were prone to possibly melting plastic.

Does the "80" stand for watts? I believe, Warchild and others, have warned that anything past the stock 55's were prone to possibly melting plastic.
No. They're the same wattage as stock. The "80" is because they're supposed to put out 80% more light than a standard bulb. That undoubtedly overstates the case a bit, but I think they're an improvement.

It refers to brighter than stock...not watts.

Two basic ways to go here while staying with conventional halogen bulbs.

1. Bulbs that advertise +80% or +50% or other figure are all DOT approved regular wattage bulbs. They're just claiming that through materials or manufacturing to make a bulb that is more efficient or produces more usable light with the same wattage. There seems to be a bit of an arms race in who can advertise the most increase in percentage and I'm sure each manufacturer has a different methodology. My guess is they compare to the crappiest bulb they ever produced 20 years ago and go from there. Although I haven't tried the +80%...I found with various +60% products several years ago that they were a little bit brighter, but not by the claims they purport.

Regardless, these products provide a bit more light, are easy to drop in, and aren't horribly expensive.

2. Higher wattage bulbs like the PIIAs and numerous knock-offs are actually higher wattage and won't carry that little DOT logo. ;) That said, they probably aren't that healthy for wiring that was designed for a 55 watt bulb to begin with. One *could* find over time a crispy or melted wire, a melted connector, or even a damaged reflector. Your choice whether to risk it. Personally, at this point conversion to HID was a MUCH better route for me.

Also, when you're pumping more juice through the wire you tend to sacrifice filament life. The PIIAs also tend to be pretty spendy IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
4) I paid $53 shipped from SUV lighting and shipping was fast. I think it was a worthwhile upgrade but, I am still going to add some FF50's driving beams to the bike because just this upgrade alone made the bike more fun to ride at night.

fjrshanta I'm also interested in upgrading. I googled SUV lighting & the closest one came up suvlights.com. Was this the sight you ordered from?

+1 on murpkits. I ordered mine from Murph. Great guy, personal service. I've been picking stuff up from him since my Connie days.

One thing I really like about Murph -- shipping is included in his prices. I hate those unexpected shipping charges. Murph does too.

Last edited by a moderator:

fjrshanta I'm also interested in upgrading. I googled SUV lighting & the closest one came up suvlights.com. Was this the sight you ordered from?
Yep, suvlights.com. Sorry about that. See what happens when you don't take your vitamans. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the report!

After 41K miles (and 2 smack downs), one of my original OE bulbs just went out.

Ordered a pair from Murph's based on this thread!

I figure the other one is not far behind.

Love this forum. :wub: :clapping:

Latest posts