Phoenix to San Francisco on a Hot Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
While caging it around town the day before I was to fly to Phoenix to pick up my new '05 and ride it home to the the SF Bay Area (Concord), the radio weather speculator said it was going to be hot in the Bay Area July 4 weekend, but not as hot as in Palm Spring, where it was going to be 120 in the shade.

"F**k," I thought, shaking my head---Palm Springs was one of the dots I had to connect to get my new bike home. And I was already nervous about my first ride across the desert. Apart from commuting home in 100 temps in my 'stitch while sucking dry a 2-liter camelback in 45 minutes, I didn't have any experience in sustained high-temp riding (well, except when I rode my '05 around the Bay Area in the spring before having done the heat fix :) ).

Looking at Google's streetview of Highway 10 between Phoenix and Palm Springs, gateway to L.A., it was pretty much 300 miles of this:

desert.jpg

palmsprings-1.jpg

I worried I was going to suffer heat exhaustion and get some bonus dirt skills by suddenly careening off the highway and heading into the desert, only to be found years later by Andy and Jill's dogs. Andy and Jill would give a couple of my leather-clad bones to their dogs for a doggie treat, then kick sand over the rest of me and part out what was left of my bike. :( (BTW, not 'stitch-covered bones, 'cause that thing has about as much ventilation as a Mexico City executive's personal bathroom. So I opted for my zip-together Frank Thomas leathers with the perforated jacket, my coolest ATGATT rig, and I do mean cool.)

JB looking cool in his Frank Thomas leathers at the Reg Pridmore CLASS track school.

fb4.jpg

And so I got prepared. I read about heat stroke, I posted in the forum for advice (and as usual got some great advice), I went and I got myself an evaporation vest and kerchief like the cowboys used to wear.

Before flying to Phoenix Friday morning of the July 4 weekend, I packed up all the gear I would need, including Sheila, my sexy Australian GPS, who doesn't always get the directions right, and has lousy pronunciation of Spanish street names, but has a wonderfully sassy attitude. Sometimes I take the wrong turn just to hear her thick lips get all pouty and petulant and keep repeating with an increasingly bitchy attitude, "Recalculating...." If only I could get her to say, "JB, don't make me get out my whip and spank your bare buttocks, you naughty boy!"

Um, where was I...? :blink: Oh yes, packing. Well, I brought my laptop, GPS and Sat radio, a small tank bag, my full leathers, helmet, boots, gloves, bungy cords, and some tools. The challenge was to figure out how much to bring that I would actually be able to carry back with me on the bike, having only the two side bags, the small tank bag for the GPS and Sat radio, and a daypack I could strap to the back of the bike. With that in mind, I opted to leave the Sears bench-top air compressor behind. :cray:

I wound up wearing my jacket and boots on the plane, and carrying my helmet. In my carry-on backpack I had the GPS and Sat radio and computer and a baggie full of wires. I checked a suitcase full of everything else, including a 9-inch phillips-head screwdriver for the battery terminals. I was amazed that I was not picked out by TSA for a special rectal scan (darn it) after carrying all that electrical gear and wiring onto the plane. But they are the best and the brightest in the war on terror, so they know what's best.

Fang got me to the airport for my Saturday 10:30 AM flight. Dressed in my fitted blue and white Frank Thomas leather jacket, jeans, and carrying a helmet, I caught a lot of middle-aged women glancing and smiling at me. Yeah, I looked cool. :coolsmiley02: (But not as cool as the local zonies, whom you could spot by their shorts and flip-flops.)

I landed in Phoenix at 12:50 in the afternoon. As soon as I stepped from the plane onto the jetway leading into the terminal, I was hit by a blast of that local---to borrow a phrase from Jesse Winchester---angry oven heat. And immediately I thought, "I'm am so f**ked."

(GTG! I have a shitload of electronic stuff to transfer to my new bike before the big commute tomorrow! Here's a pic of what faces me in the garage:)

IMG_8950.jpg

More later! JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh for Petey's sake, Hans it's only a dry heat! Freaking Kalifornia Krybabies! Glad you got your new bike, Congratulations! DON'T ABUSE THE FECKING CLUTCH, JB! nuff' said' and jes' sayin'

Glad you made it! Look at the bright side, today the central valley is supposed to be warmer by 2 degrees than Phoenix! Have fun de-farkling or would that be un-farkling? Probably Trans-Farkling would be the proper term.

I landed in Phoenix at 12:50 in the afternoon. As soon as I stepped from the plane onto the jetway leading into the terminal, I was hit by a blast of that local---to borrow a phrase from Jesse Winchester---angry oven heat. And immediately I thought, "I'm am so f**ked."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"F**k," I thought, shaking my head---Palm Springs was one of the dots I had to connect to get my new bike home. And I was already nervous about my first ride across the desert. Apart from commuting home in 100 temps in my 'stitch while sucking dry a 2-liter camelback in 45 minutes, I didn't have any experience in sustained high-temp riding (well, except when I rode my '05 around the Bay Area in the spring before having done the heat fix :) ).
The simple solution would have been to ride it at night. (Skooter...not an F'ing word :rolleyes: )

The simple solution would have been to ride it at night. (Skooter...not an F'ing word :rolleyes: )
Sorry, you're not getting a pass from me.

"Stupid is as stupid does"

I told that boy to leave REAL freaking early.

Yeah, Greg, but there's "real early"...you know, the time manly-men ride: 0330-0400.

Then there's "Kinda Early"...you know, kind of early, after one has hit the snooze twice, used the "throne" and gone back to bed for 30 minutes: Kick Stand Up @ 0700

Finally, there's "JB Early": shower, breakfast, bike pack, kickstand up @ 0800......temps @ 90+!

Yeah, Greg, but there's "real early"...you know, the time manly-men ride: 0330-0400.

Then there's "Kinda Early"...you know, kind of early, after one has hit the snooze twice, used the "throne" and gone back to bed for 30 minutes: Kick Stand Up @ 0700

Finally, there's "JB Early": shower, breakfast, bike pack, kickstand up @ 0800......temps @ 90+!
:haha: :lol:

Finally, there's "JB Early": up at 8am, shower, Stroll to an Espresso, read the paper (no Chronicle) note the latest soccer scores, take a hot tub, then a massage with a pedicure. breakfast,Shower again, dousing in manly fragrance and wearing the nice tight fit tee shirt, pack the bike, kickstand up @ 11:15......temps @ 100's+!
There, fixed it for you!

Congrates on the new bike and safe trip home Hans!!

FWFE

Well, I'd better close out this report.... I started up the bike in my sister's garage, and it cranked kinda hard. When I took it out to fill the tank and put air in the tires, it almost didn't start at all, and managed to reset the time on the dash. So after having earlier connected my GPS and Starcom, we drove to CycleGear, where I bought a new battery and charger. I installed the charger by 8:45 PM and set it to charging.

I set the alarm for 4AM and was very pleased to see a bright green light on the battery charger. After a quick breakfast and good-bye to my sister and her three poodles, I was on the road by 4:50. I'll say that again...waiting for OM...I was on the road by 4:50 (I don't know if I dreaded more having to ride through the desert or get up so feckin' early <_< ), heading west on 10 outta Phoenix. I wanted to make Blythe, then stop for a break, then make Palm Springs for a break. It would be about two hours between each. I actually wound up stopping several times.

The temps rose from the 80s to 121 in Palm Springs. I never felt oppressed by the heat, having prepared well, keeping myself relatively cool and hydrated. And I was constantly self-monitoring, thinking about how I was feeling, whether I was feeling fatigued, nauseated, head ache, dizzy, etc.

During the whole two-day trip, temps were over 100 regardless of where I was, desert or not, including L.A. all the way to my hometown, Concord. So I was sure to pull over and rest and cool down frequently-—for example, my last stop to re-charge my vest with water, pour water over my head and down my neck, fill up my camelback, and gulp mass quantities of water was just off the freeway in Concord only 10 minutes from my home—-I just didn’t want to risk it.

When I pulled off at a Chevron in Palm Springs (again, 121 degrees), there was another motorcyclist there, riding a cruiser, which was parked in the shade at the pump. The rider was sitting in the shade on the sidewalk leaning up against the facade of the convenience mart. He looked spent; actually, he looked ill. I asked how he was doing, and he said he was hot and light-headed.

I learned that he had ridden that morning from Mexicali on the California border with Mexico. He did not have an evaporation vest or camelback. He was headed to Redondo Beach. I told him to be sure to rest and cool down and drink water, and later I asked him if he needed anything, including money (I had not seen him go into the mart). When he left I saw that he was wearing a full body suit and full helmet. Later on the road I kept my eyes out for him on the side of the road but did not see him. I hope he got home all right.

From Palm Springs I texted ynotride (Dan) that as per his invitation I was going to stop by. I got there an hour later, and was welcomed with his and his family's hospitality. I also met an Iron Butt finisher, and I felt in the presence of--well, a nut, of course--but also some kind of motorcycling demi-god. I may think they're nuts but I don't question their accomplishment.

I had a nice break at Dan's (thanks again, Dan!), where I ate some of the lunch I'd packed the night before in Phoenix, then headed across L.A. to my motel at the bottom of the Grapevine where the 5 and 99 split. At the motel I was told that Hwy 5 reduced to one lane ahead, and that a woman had complained it took her an hour to go 7 miles. Riding in the heat is doable if you're moving; if not, it gets, well, deadly. So with that information, and wanting to be closer to the coast, next morning I headed west to Hwy 101 via 166 to 33 to 46 to 101 (did some spirited passing on 46 :rolleyes: ).

Hwy 101 is not close enough to the water to make a difference with the heat (it turns out), and it was over 100 my whole way home. I stopped just outside of dCarver's town and called him to see if he was around and wanted to say hello, but the prick didn't pick up: "It's JB. F**k'm." Hurts my feelings, but there you have it. :( (He didn't pick up either a couple months ago when I called him to say my bike was broken on his door step. :no: )

That's about it. Later I ran into the Harley pricks who are the subject of another thread.

I learned I can ride in the heat if I am properly prepared. Regarding the new bike, what mojo my old bike lost, this one has. It accelerates like a young stallion compared with my old out-to-stud 90k miles bike. Apart from a wobble in the front end when I hit bumps, it runs like a champ.

Out.

Old and new bikes:

IMG_8944.jpg

IMG_8945.jpg

Rigged GPS and sat radio for the ride home:

IMG_8948.jpg

How old bike was returned to me from the shop:

IMG_8952.jpg

In boxes:

IMG_8943.jpg

Nothing like a cold one after a [HOT] ride:

IMG_8949.jpg

Apart from a wobble in the front end when I hit bumps, it runs like a champ.
Get those head bearing tightened MUI PRONTO!!! Before they do damage and you have to replace the bearings and races altogther.

Glad you made it back, now get busy!

BTW, from when I test rode that new bike of yours? You'll NEVER find the booger I left on it. :lol:

Apart from a wobble in the front end when I hit bumps, it runs like a champ.
Get those head bearing tightened MUI PRONTO!!! Before they do damage and you have to replace the bearings and races altogther.

Glad you made it back, now get busy!

BTW, from when I test rode that new bike of yours? You'll NEVER find the booger I left on it. :lol:
Oh, man. I thought there was something icky going on there.... :(

At lunch today I stopped by my dealer to have the front-end wobble looked at. The mechanic, who rides an FJR, grabbed the handlebars and shook'em, then noticed that the big ol' head nut was finger loose. He wheeled it back shaking his head and tightened it all up. He also replaced a worn part on my clutch lever, and spotted my front racing tire. He said Bridgestone's got a new FJR tire out that I may want to try when it's time. Anyway, in a few thousand miles I'll take 'er in for a complete inspection.

Glad ya made it (that was 1 Hot weekend, was 122 at lake hotasu, 108 here) Good ya took it serious & were well prepared! Congrats on the new to ya bike!

Whew, glad you made it, that's a very long distance of very hot riding! I'd now say you're pretty tough! Good job.