PIAA 1100X

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Just received my PIAA 110X lights..................very nice.

There are several options to connect the switch control wire. I was planning to connect to the ignition switch positive wire but I'm not sure which one it is. Has anyone used this method ?

Canadian FJR

I think if you wire it to come on with the ignition--that you're PIAAs would compete with the starter for juice. If you wire them off the headlights--they're wired to not come on until the bike is started. You'd have to put a diode in if you plan to run them both with lows and highs.

When I was installing the relay to power my electrical farkle strip, I used this method to feed the relay: https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/tom3.html

As stated in the instructions, power isn't available until after bike is started which I though a prudent method.

Follow instructions in link found under USING A RELAY... about halfway down the page. As you'll see there is an excellent diagram of the headlight wiring setup.

I want to be able to test the lights without the engine running so what about tapping into the windshield jumper but not disconnecting it? Any problems.

Canadian FJR

If you're just using it for test--you can take the power lead and run it to the positive of the battery.