PIAA HID Driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're 11 watt HIDs - save your money unless all you want are pretty driving lights.

PIAA is a very interesting company. Some of their stuff is excellent and some of it seems to be washed in snake oil.

The press implies (heck they outright state) that the bulbs are 30 watts, but the specifications say that running power is one amp (presumably each - hence the 11 watt rating) - and that means 12 watts of power drawn (which is unlikely given ballast efficiencies and would actually be 14.2 watts if your battery is charged properly). So they sort-of imply without saying it that the 2 bulbs added together and rounded up to the next whole number total 30 watts . . . .

You have alternatives, such as the PHIDs. Or, with some careful searching and patience you can score a set of Micro-DE Xenons from Hella (both of which are true 35 watt HIDs). The only read drawback to the Hella is that they are second generation HIDs and you have to hide the supplied external ballast - I managed on my bike, though I MIGHT stuff some small chinese ballasts in there to make the right side a bit less obtrusive. Chinese ballasts are cheap these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go loud!

SoltekFuego.jpg

No one makes a 25 watt HID bulb. No one makes a 30 watt HID bulb (that I know of, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist). But obviously there are inefficiencies in the ballast that increase current consumption.

Most 11 watt HIDs use a 20 watt ballast. And, as it happens GE makes a 20 watt bulb, though it isn't intended for vehicular use - could PIAA be using that one?

If they are using the 11 watt bulb, then save your money. If they are running the 20 watt capsule, the output of that bulb is about the same as the H4 - 1600 lumens, compared with 1500 for the H4 in high beam. Is it built to withstand the vibration encountered on a bike?

I would still avoid the device.

No one makes a 25 watt HID bulb. No one makes a 30 watt HID bulb (that I know of, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist)....
...I would still avoid the device.
It's a 24w arc lamp by design. The PIAA lights run 25 watts at the lamp. And you're telling people to avoid a device you have no knowledge or experience with.

No one makes a 25 watt HID bulb. No one makes a 30 watt HID bulb (that I know of, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist)....
...I would still avoid the device.
It's a 24w arc lamp by design. The PIAA lights run 25 watts at the lamp. And you're telling people to avoid a device you have no knowledge or experience with.
Please point me to the spec sheet for this 'arc lamp'. I've been unable to locate a data sheet for any such device, especially looked for one designed for automotive use.

Edit. I have found reference to 24 watt (not 25, mind you and not 30) HID bulbs intended for use primarily in flashlights and diving lights. Since they're just plasma balls with a couple of electrodes, I suppose they should work for vehicular lighting.

Light output is 1300 lumens - that's a bit (300 lumens) less than what you get in high beam from a 55/60 watt H4, but more than you get in low beam.

I'd STILL leave it alone . . . . 35 watt HIDs put out 3200 lumens - more than twice the liight for less than 50% more power.

Not available online. Proprietary design. USA made on a medical production line. Doesn't surprise me you can't find it.

Can't give you any more details without breaking an NDA.

And no attitude intended on my part.

For fair comparison, the PIAA light puts out ~1575 lumens.

I personally think the Solteks are too big to 'look right' on the FJR, but there is no replacement for big reflectors and many lumens at this time.

If you're gonna put something like that on your ride, the grandaddy of driving lights would probably be the Hella FF1000 Xenon (HID). Those things will almost burn through a deer on the road before you can hit it! If you must have the internal ballast and want a 5" reflector, the Hella 4000xi fits the bill.

I personally think the Solteks are too big to 'look right' on the FJR, but there is no replacement for big reflectors and many lumens at this time.
If you're gonna put something like that on your ride, the grandaddy of driving lights would probably be the Hella FF1000 Xenon (HID). Those things will almost burn through a deer on the road before you can hit it!
Duuuuude!

You think the Solteks don't 'look right' on the FJR? For crying out loud! The FF1000s look like two pie plates mounted on the front of the FJR!

I submit:

The 'don't look right' FF1000s on an FJR with their 'not right in the head' owner, vectervp1.

AJCoffeeMeetGreet4.jpg

I thought that the solotechs were problemed. Weren't people getting water in them a couple years ago after the groub buy. I could swear I remember iggy talking about being concerned about sendin 25000 volts into a wet light. It was a long time back but I know it was something like that.

They also have a three-year warranty and Soltek corrected the leakage issue for anybody who asked....

Been reading the threads trying to figure out PIAA 1100x vs Hella FF50. I don't have the cash or interest in true HID, ballasts, etc.

I'm assuming I'll get the Garauld brackets to mount PIAA or Hella's by my mirrors. I have an '08. I've yet to see a picture of an '08 with these brackets and either the PIAA or Hella's, but my understanding is they'll fit fine.

That said, can anyone offer quick input of how the PIAA 1100's compare to the Hella FF50's re: brightness and light pattern on the road?

My main interest is for the 5am to 7am period of time when we start early before it's light. Looking for general extra light, but mainly to help with deer, etc.

Leaving for Nova Scotia (from Chicago!) on the 13th, so I need to make my decision quickly and pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help.

I mentioned these in an earlier post, and this is just another tease as I don't have them yet, but the lights I'm getting installed next week are new-to-the-market adjustable High Power LED caliper lights (super bright), and I'll have the first set on an FJR. The guy I bought my bike from just developed them, first for the BMW market, but is widening to other brands and models. In fact, he took his measurements from my bike. His company primarily installs sound systems in cars and boats; these lights are a new branch for him.

I can't say what the deal will be yet, but he'll be offering a group buy or some kind of discount to forum members. More on that later. Standard disclaimer: I've got no financial interest here at all, but feel real confident in vouching for his work. Here's his brand-new website: ClearwaterLights. I'll have mine on for the CFR in a couple of weeks (whee!) and will be showing them off.

Here's his brand-new website: ClearwaterLights. I'll have mine on for the CFR in a couple of weeks (whee!) and will be showing them off.
Look forward to seeing them in action. Funny though, his website doesn't show any examples of actual light output. Only that its more efficient than halogen - but in the context of heat, not output.