PIAA Sport Horn Install in a Gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
I have seen a dozen posts how these horns only took 5-10 minutes to install. Well, I have taken a good bit longer and am looking for tips on installing the right -side horn without interfering with the forks. At this point, I have the horn mounted on the original mounting bracket at the 11:00 position and pushed as far right as it can go. No dice, it still interferes.

Give me the magic juju for finishing this project and I'll buy you a beer. Tell me to install an air horn, and I'll fart in your direction.

Many moons ago, I installed a Steble air horn on my 04.

It was mounted on the left side (had all the heat mods done) BUT, I did have to trim some extra plastic, (up and to the left of the radiator-to the inside black plastic that directs air to the radiator) on a custom bracket. The horn probably fit half in and half out of the black inner fairing bolted (with that bracket, to the frame).

Sorry I don't have any pictures, however if you pull the left side main fairing off, and think outside the box, and don't mind some trimming, it will indeed fit...(and not stick out nearly as much as the stocker)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to follow-up, I heard from Sacramento Mike who doesn't post here, but apparently reads. I just extended the stock wiring, on the right side and everything easily tucked into place without trimming plastic. I had done an air-horn some years earlier, but hung it on the passenger peg. I took it off when I put on a Penske shock and that slot was taken by the auxiliary hydraulic cylinder.

I got the 400/500 Hz PIAA Sport horns, and it has good volume and sounds like a big blue Buick. The horn wires also trigger the bypass on the Krista LEDs.