Picked up my 07 FJR yesterday and have a couple of questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3564

Reaction score
This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone for all of the good info. I have been visiting this site for the past several months while waiting for my 07 to arrive and have received a good education on the FJR.

I test rode several BMWs and the ST1300 before making my final choice and was still second guessing my decision right up until I rode it home yesterday. There is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision after my brief ride home. I am more pleased than expected.

My last bike was an FZ1 and prior to that a BMW R1100RT. The FJR seems to be exactly what I was looking for. (more tour than the FZ1, more sport than the RT)

Now to the questions.

1. I have noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike. It seems to occur just as the bike starts and the starter is disengaging. If I purposely press the starter button for a shorter duration than normal, I don't seem to here it. I'm thinking maybe something in the starter is just a little tight and the Feb temperature (low 40s) is causing the noise. Has anyone experienced this?

2. How many 06 owners have kept their stock seats and how comfortable are they on 500 mile days. I normally replace my stock seat for long distance comfort but so far the FJR seat seems pretty comfortable. I have only ridden 70 miles yesterday and 100 today which is not a sufficient test but have had no complaints. (it does seem a little soft compared to aftermarket)

Thanks!

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
2. How many 06 owners have kept their stock seats and how comfortable are they on 500 mile days. I normally replace my stock seat for long distance comfort but so far the FJR seat seems pretty comfortable. I have only ridden 70 miles yesterday and 100 today which is not a sufficient test but have had no complaints. (it does seem a little soft compared to aftermarket)
Thanks!

Phil
Drove a trip from TX to FL (2 days), then a month later, made the trip back to TX via AR (3 days). Total mileage was 4000 and I would not be in the market for a new seat just yet. Just noticed that it is starting to break in after 9k just don't know how much more it will last before becoming a real pain. For me, IMHO, it is acceptable for now. Welcome, by the way. Seems like there was a previous thread about this subject.

git-r-dan :beach:

never heard a noise like that -

As for the seat. It will never be mistaken for a Russel or Meyer or even a Corbin. However, it does seem to break in a bit. I only have 16 or 17k on my bike, but after the first couple of thousand it started to feel "adequate". I have added a beaded seat cover (bought a car seat cover and modified it to fit) and that helps a great deal. A sheepskin might also be used to good effect. If you are going to put serious miles on it in one sitting, then you will probably change it out. For less frequent long trips it will be ok (maybe.... it sort of depends on your threshold of pain and size and shape of your rear).

My wife hates the back seat.

I would suggest that anything under 500 miles (a day) is livable. 500+ miles will be aggravating. 400 to 500 mile days for multiple days will also probably get aggravating.

1. I have noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike. It seems to occur just as the bike starts and the starter is disengaging. If I purposely press the starter button for a shorter duration than normal, I don't seem to here it. I'm thinking maybe something in the starter is just a little tight and the Feb temperature (low 40s) is causing the noise. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

Phil
Have your dealer listen to it to have it documented, but I doubt very much it's anything to be concerned about. <_<

As far as the seat... only you will know if the seat works for you. I would wait some time before going aftermarket. My '03 was unbearable after 300m for me...the '06 is much better, I've done 800m days without getting numb, but it's too wide for my short legs. :angry:

Now to the questions.
Is this before you hit the starter switch? There is a noise when you turn on the key. I think that is the fuel pump pressurizing the system. I would describe that sound as a little like a whine.

My 06 makes a chrip sound when starting occasionally. Not always but if I remember it's when it's cold. I haven't ridden it in almost 3 months as I live in the great white north. I doubt it's a problem and maybe it's just a bit of character.

#1 You stated that it is when you press the button so prob not the fuel pump when you turn the key. No Idea about the whine. Have it checked.

#2 I did an SS1K on stock. It wasn't a Lay-z-boy!. +1 on the 4-500 mile as ok. I had a gel seat installed in the seat ($140). It helped some but still not a custom. The longest I've done on it is 590miles.

Phil, I can only address the seat question, as I have never heard andyweird starter noise from my 04 nor my 06. On the seat, on both the 04 and 06 I have had an automotive upholstry shop cut down (about 1 inch towards the rear) and narrow-up the foam on the sides, then reinstall the stock cover. This combo, together with a high quality sheepskin, has allowed me 1200km days without undue grief. Not as good as a custom, but about $800.00 cheaper. By cutting the foam more towards the rear, it helps to eleminate the "push forward" into the gas tank effect, and the narrowing up allows more foot on the ground.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will stick with the stock seat for a while. (too many other things to buy - Sliders, Trunk, PowerCommander, Heated Grips, GPS)

It looks like at least one other rider has noticed a noise (chirp) from the starter when cold. Probably nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the forum. Not sure on the noise. I have not heard a squeak. As for the seat, not an issue on long trips so far, but then again I figure I'm young enough to take a beating... Of course the corbin seats do look nice.

Hey! I've got a new one! :lol:

I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

'Scythian': Sounds like there's a whole bunch of aftermarket parts you need to buy to make your FJR 'right'?

Maybe you need to buy more warranty, too....?? :huh: :blink:

I listened to mine start today - the 'squeal' is normal.

Rgds

Glenn

Hey! I've got a new one! :lol:
I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....
Hey! Same thing happened to me - except for the starter squeal that is....

Never mind...it was just a dream I had. Or maybe I read it somewhere....

Now back to your reg sched programming...

I have a tank bag on my bike and occassionally when I turn the handle bars all the way to the right while backing up, I push the starter button up against the bag. If the bike is running when you do that, the ABS warning light turns on and there is a buzzing sound (warning tone I assume) that acompanies it. I wonder if its not possible that you are holding your starter button in just a little to long and hearing the same sound. The easy thing to do would be to push the starter button while the bike is running to see if its the same sound. I'm sure everyone just freaked out when they read that, but its OK, the starter will not engage. It took me a while to figure all of this out also.

...my two cents.

EDIT: I have an '06A by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine makes that noise too. As far as the seat is concerned, I came off of an 02 Honda Silverwing last year. The Silverwings seat was practically a sofa cushion. Im slowly getting use to the seat on the FJR.

Cant squeek about the sqeek.

I can sqeek about the seat. I blew a bunch of money on a corbin because i need to reduce my seat height and couldnt ride more than an hour on the stocker without monkey butt. The corbin is stiff, but comfortable on the longer hauls. Looks pretty nice too.

Greygoose