Picking up 07FJRAE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I'm picking up my new FJR ae today, just wondering if there is a recommeded break-in method besides the one in owners manual?

I'm picking up my new FJR ae today, just wondering if there is a recommeded break-in method besides the one in owners manual?
There are lots of other "recommended" break in methods out there.

If you think that a bunch of garage flies and shade tree mechanics know more than the engineers at Yamaha, go for it. Most of the other break in strategies are for the impatient.

And we all know the stories (and have told them) about rebuilding racing engines and running them that weekend without any break in, or with a motoman style break in.

Race engines don't have to be warranted, and they don't have to last through your hoped for long life.

When I break stuff in (and I've broken in 5 new bikes in the last 2 years), I follow the advice of the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did an oil change after getting home. I had a 80 miles ride from the dealership and I did the mototune. YMMV... :)

Hope you werent looking for a definitive answer :p

Enjoy the ride!

If you think that a bunch of garage flies and shade tree mechanics know more than the engineers at Yamaha, go for it. Most of the other break in strategies are for the impatient.

And we all know the stories (and have told them) about rebuilding racing engines and running them that weekend without any break in, or with a motoman style break in.

Race engines don't have to be warranted, and they don't have to last through your hoped for long life.

When I break stuff in (and I've broken in 5 new bikes in the last 2 years), I follow the advice of the manufacturer.
I agree with El Toro. Don't see any need to take a chance with the Motoman 'drive the holy piss out of it' for a few miles break in. Be patient and break it in by the book.

GP

The Motoman break-in doesn't violate your sacred manufacturer break-in instructions. As vague and non-specific as they are, there's quite a bit of latitude.

BTW, broke my 04 in with the modified Motoman break-in and 147,000 miles later, she still runs strong. So I would say I have exceeded my 'hoped for long life'.

Not that the type of break-in had anything to do with it.

I agree with El Toro. Don't see any need to take a chance with the Motoman 'drive the holy piss out of it' for a few miles break in. Be patient and break it in by the book.
Motoman break-in is well well within the guidelines of your 'by the book'.

Very, very, few motorcyclists in America ever wear-out their engines.

'El Toro': I've broken in 5 new bikes in the last 2 years
Many bikes are sold/traded while still young. Many are crashed-out. Often, they're just put-away and forgotten.

So, is break-in really a concern? :blink: :huh:

Very, very, few motorcyclists in America ever wear-out their engines.
'El Toro': I've broken in 5 new bikes in the last 2 years
Many bikes are sold/traded while still young. Many are crashed-out. Often, they're just put-away and forgotten.

So, is break-in really a concern? :blink: :huh:
It is for me. As I've said before, most roaches are created unintentionally, and I am going to do my best to NOT contribute to any motorcycle's progress toward roachdom. That starts with the proper break in.

[SIZE=12pt]MotoScusi's Law of Motorcycles says[/SIZE]

All Motorcycles are on their way to becoming roaches.

There are some axioms based on observation and empirical evidence that follow.

1. A diligent and competent owner can decrease the speed at which MotoScusi's Law is realized for a specific motorcycle specimen.

2. An incompetent dealer/importer can thwart the best efforts of a diligent and competent owner as the owner works to impede the realization of MotoScusi's Law.

3. An owner/user group may accellerate the realization of MotoScusi's Law, and the accelleration is directly proportional to the magnitude of the history of duct taping and Amsoil use in the group.

:cigar:

Motoman break-in is well well within the guidelines of your 'by the book'.

Sorry Skooter, but just to be sure I hadn't forgotten what Motoman was saying, I just went to his web pages and took a fresh look.

I don't know how anyone can argue that full throttle dyno runs to the red line are within the context of the factory approved break in methodology.

Motoman starts his whole argument on a bogus premise, and that is that the factory wants you to do an "easy break in." This is just flat out BS, but it gives Motoman the chance to hook you in and get you to read the rest of his self proclaimed controversial secrets.

Here and there Motoman throws out correct information, like the idea that the rings seat by the gas pressure, for example. In fact, this is why going to higher and higher compression ratios doesn't lead you to the increases in efficiency that would be predicted, because friction losses due to the higher normal force on the rings lead to mechanical losses that offset the thermal efficiency gains that would be predicted.

If you want to do a good break in, follow the manufacturer's guidelines on engine rpm. This is in part to be sure that infant failures (TGW, things gone wrong) will not happen under the most highly stressed conditions, it is in part to be sure that mating parts have a chance to wear in together (especially gear teeth, piston rings, and other sliding or rotating parts), and it is in part to be sure that the new owner has a chance to become fully familiar with the bike before blasting it.

A good break in is characterized by loading and unloading with some regularity. Elevation changes and twisty roads are perfect for this, and usually you don't have to feel nearly as constrained by staying within the engine rpm guidelines as you would if you were trying to break in on the interstate.

A good break in is also characterized by getting the break in oil, filter, and final drive lube out of the engine after about 15 or so hours of operation.

Motoman is a charlatan, pretending to be a guru. I HAVE NEVER ONCE SEEN AN OWNER'S MANUAL THAT TOLD YOU TO BREAK A BIKE IN EASY. That's just tripe.

I don't know how anyone can argue that full throttle dyno runs to the red line are within the context of the factory approved break in methodology.
Prove otherwise please. Since your 06 FJR's owner's manual may have different terminology than my 04, why don't you go look it up and quote it here verbatim?

Besides, just to be clear, those of us who chose to the the *modified* Motoman break-in, didn't do it on a dyno, but did it on the road.

If you want to do a good break in, follow the manufacturer's guidelines on engine rpm.
Well, what exactly are Yamaha's guidelines on engine rpm for the FJR's break-in?

Me thinks you should have looked at your owner's manual before posting. :blink:

A good break in is characterized by loading and unloading with some regularity. Elevation changes and twisty roads are perfect for this, and usually you don't have to feel nearly as constrained by staying within the engine rpm guidelines as you would if you were trying to break in on the interstate.
FJR's owner's manual states nothing about loading and unloading during break-in. How do I know your not some intertard crackpot spouting BS? Not everything you here on the internet is true, you know?

Sorry dude. Really, I am not trying to beat you up, but the break-in instructions for the FJR as given in the owner's manual are pretty pathetic. And as far as I am concerned, can easily be interpreted to be an *easy* break-in. Many around here have interpreted them that way, though if you read them closely, there is quite a bit of latitude you have in regards to how you break in the motor and still be within the guidelines.

Now off you go! You've got a homework assignment to complete. I KNOW what my owner's manual states about break-in.

147,000 miles and counting on my modified Motoman broken in FJR. Nobody else on the forum, or elsewhere that I am aware of, has that many miles on their original (Sorry Steve!) engine. So I guess that means that Motoman MUST be right! :p

Prove otherwise please. Since your 06 FJR's owner's manual may have different terminology than my 04, why don't you go look it up and quote it here verbatim?
Besides, just to be clear, those of us who chose to the the *modified* Motoman break-in, didn't do it on a dyno, but did it on the road.
Break in for the 06 is in the owner's manual on page 5-4. I suppose we can argue over semantics, but for now.... I was once told by a wise man that you, SkooterG, are the smoothing, calming force among the moderators.

I apologize for ruffling your feathers... Motoman has been around for a good while, and he shows up on every forum where impatient people want instant gratification with a quick break in. Motoman to the rescue.

If you're secretly Motoman, I retract the apology.

FJR's owner's manual states nothing about loading and unloading during break-in. How do I know your not some intertard crackpot spouting BS?
You don't. I probably am. Heck, maybe I'm secretly Motoman, but I've got multiple personalities. If I do, I'm not alone.... ever.... :wacko:

The idea of the loading and unloading is consistent with Motoman's basic strategy. He's just compressing the time frame, which in my view is a significant point. But then as an intertard crackpot, I probably shouldn't be allowed to have points.

You know during break in you are not just seating piston rings. Every other moving part on the bike is also wearing in.

Sorry dude. Really, I am not trying to beat you up, but the break-in instructions for the FJR as given in the owner's manual are pretty pathetic. And as far as I am concerned, can easily be interpreted to be an *easy* break-in. Many around here have interpreted them that way, though if you read them closely, there is quite a bit of latitude you have in regards to how you break in the motor and still be within the guidelines.
Obviously they don't dissintegrate with a shoddy break in. The differences between a good break in and a poor break in can be subtle (like vibration levels) or they can be less subtle (like oil consumption and later fatigue failure of components). I am a firm believer in the philosophy that YOU pay your money, and YOU make your choice. If you break the bike in by uncrating it, assembling it, and riding it at the red line for a week, it don't affect me one bit. :dirol:

Having designed a lot of machines myself, having taught many others how design machines, and having done a fair amount of forensic work figuring out how other folks screwed stuff up in product liability lawsuits and accident reconstruction, I probably read this stuff differently from a lot of folks. You're correct that the instructions are not without some wiggle room.... Motoman turns me off totally with all his "secrets," and with what appears to me to be the initial false premise of the "easy" breakin recommendation.

You know, the biggest problem with the internet is that there is no editor, nor can there ever be. Its called the Information Superhighway, not the Wisdom or Knowledge Superhighway for a reason.

147,000 miles and counting on my modified Motoman broken in FJR. Nobody else on the forum, or elsewhere that I am aware of, has that many miles on their original (Sorry Steve!) engine. So I guess that means that Motoman MUST be right! :p
First - Congratulations on the high mileage. I'm not sure how relevant it is to Motoman though. Its one data point, and your standards for vibration, oil consumption, and overall machine karma aren't necessarily the same as someone elses. I saw an ST1100 at Barber in 06, and again in Maine in 07. He had some incredible number of miles on the machine. It was plastered with every sticker from every corner he'd ever visited. Not for me. He did have an interesting insight about drive shaft spline lubrication and its tendency to be inadquate though.... REALLY he did.

I'll never see 147,000 miles on one motorcycle, and I don't see this as a diminishment of my motorcycling experience, nor as an enhancement of someone elses. I generally move around among bikes, and view the change as a learning experience. The 06 AE may be different since the arthritis is acting up in the ol' shifter toe. I may keep the FJR and the Royal Enfield (old style British shift pattern on the right), and be done with my hardware adventures. That's OK. Its a nice spot to roost. I won't see 147,000 miles on it though. If it makes it to 40,000, that would be my limit.

I have a theory that Yamaha's recommended break-in procedure is as much about breaking-in the rider to the bike as it is breaking in the bike's mechanicals. I'd say I followed the owner's manual procedure "reasonably" closely not necessarily out of not knowing better (I'll get to that), but this is, afterall, the first bike I've owned in almost 20 years (at the time I purchased it).

Conversely, the "break-in period" on my last bike - an '80 Yamaha XS1100G (which I'd literally uncrated and assembled myself), lasted about an hour... ;) When I (reluctantly) sold it in early '88 with around 140K miles on the odometer, the only non-scheduled maintenance that I'd needed to do was replace the final drive seals at around 75K miles. I still miss the old girl... <sniff>

yaaaaa. I just ride it, change the oil, and final drive oil after 600 miles, then change the oil and do all the PM's as scheduled. and leave the rest up to the all mighty :D

Well, what exactly are Yamaha's guidelines on engine rpm for the FJR's break-in?

Me thinks you should have looked at your owner's manual before posting. :blink:

FJR's owner's manual states nothing about loading and unloading during break-in.

Sorry dude. Really, I am not trying to beat you up, but the break-in instructions for the FJR as given in the owner's manual are pretty pathetic.

Now off you go! You've got a homework assignment to complete. I KNOW what my owner's manual states about break-in.
From the 2007 manual:

Engine break-in

There is never a more important period

in the life of your engine than the period

between 0 and 1600 km (1000 mi). For

this reason, you should read the follow-

ing material carefully.

Since the engine is brand new, do not

put an excessive load on it for the first

1600 km (1000 mi). The various parts in

the engine wear and polish themselves

to the correct operating clearances.

During this period, prolonged full-throt-

tle operation or any condition that might

result in engine overheating must be

avoided.

0–1000 km (0–600 mi)

Avoid prolonged operation above 4500

r/min.

1000–1600 km (600–1000 mi)

Avoid prolonged operation above 5400

Had a 200 mile ride home from dealer. Throttle got away from me once (or was it twice) in Massachusetts. Made the bike happy and me happy. Nothing too much past the rpm guidelines but still triples.