Picture Request - Russell seat with stock pillion un-upholstered

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phroenips

Pronounced "Free-nips"...it's just a
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a Russell seat, and am wondering if I want to get the passenger seat re-upholstered to match the driver's seat, or save the $80-100. The only reason I would get it done is for pure aesthetics...I never have anyone ride pillion. Has anyone done this and taken pictures?

I actually had RCP re-make both mine because I have a pillion probably 50% of the time, but imagining it in my mind, my personal opinion is it'd look pretty strange leaving the pillion seat stock with the funny little perforations if the front seat is custom made and leather.

If you had a Gen-I, I'd meet you somewhere and you could stick my Day-Long on your bike but your 07 wouldnt like my 03 seat.

I think it'd look awkward if you didn't get it covered. I just had mine done this year, and it looks really terrific. They do a very, very nice job on it. Worth the aesthetic even if you rarely have a pillion.

This is the best picture I could find. Sorry about the gloves in the way...

100_0221.jpg

k7lvo,

I don't know if it's the lighting or not but the top of your seat appears to be light gray with a darker gray on the sides. The sides appear to match the stock seat color perfectly. Could you tell me the color of the side of the seat?

I was thinking along the same lines as phroenips and if they are the same color it appears it would not look bad.

Thanks

Greg

k7lvo,
I don't know if it's the lighting or not but the top of your seat appears to be light gray with a darker gray on the sides. The sides appear to match the stock seat color perfectly. Could you tell me the color of the side of the seat?

I was thinking along the same lines as phroenips and if they are the same color it appears it would not look bad.

Thanks

Greg
It's either black or charcoal - I can't remember which. I chose gray for the "setting" part mostly figuring it would be cooler than black after setting in the sun for a bit. Yes, you can tell the two seats are different, but they don't look bad together, IMO. Anyway, Russell is an ugly seat, anyway, right? :D

k7lvo,

Thanks

Greg
It's either black or charcoal - I can't remember which. I chose gray for the "setting" part mostly figuring it would be cooler than black after setting in the sun for a bit. Yes, you can tell the two seats are different, but they don't look bad together, IMO. Anyway, Russell is an ugly seat, anyway, right? :D
Sorry, didn't mean to say your combination looked bad. In fact, I was thinking of the same combination for the same heat reasons. I also could not decide on the pattern and your rectangle pattern looks good. They are ugly but from everything I have read there is no better seat.

I have a 2000 mile trip out to Seattle this summer for my family's anual vacation ride. Will probably ride another 2-3000 while out west and then 2000 back. I will not be skimping on the seat no matter what it looks like.

Greg

k7lvo,

Thanks

Greg
Sorry, didn't mean to say your combination looked bad. In fact, I was thinking of the same combination for the same heat reasons. I also could not decide on the pattern and your rectangle pattern looks good. They are ugly but from everything I have read there is no better seat.

I have a 2000 mile trip out to Seattle this summer for my family's anual vacation ride. Will probably ride another 2-3000 while out west and then 2000 back. I will not be skimping on the seat no matter what it looks like.

Greg
No worries! I didn't mean to sound defensive, either. :)

IMO, the Russell makes all the difference. I fit it very "evenly." :)

If you are considering a Russell you should think about attending WFO9 and scheduling a ride in at Russell, kill 2 birds with one ride.......

just and idea...if you are even y=thinking about it make your appointment NOW.

R