Pictures from my OEM Top Case Backrest that didn't fit well..(question?)UPDATE..FIXED!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
I tried to install the oem backrest in my top trunk and i noticed that it doesn't fit well..

I screwed firstly the four front bolts and i noticed that the upper piece of the backrest where it fits in the upper side of the trunk with the two bolts doesn't alignment with the upper line of the trunk..There is about two inches+ space between the backrest and the trunk.I must bend it two+inches to screwed the two upper bolts,but i am afraid if i will do that it wιll break..

Have you noticed this when you installed the backrest?Is it normal?Or something going wrong with my backrest?It is brand new 5jw-w0772-00

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I mean this space:

ABCD0113_zps14480406.jpg

ABCD0115_zpsb6f12b7e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Michalis.

I was looking at a picture of the pad at Yamaha Canada. The angle at the top seems to be greater than in your picture? Could yours have been flattened a bit in shipping?

I'm guessing the pad back plate is plastic? So, can you heat and bend it to the correct angle?

Good luck with this.

BackrestFor39L.jpg

Thanks Alan!

Tomorrow i will visit the dealer to see if something going wrong there and if is everything is ok,i will try to bend it a bit by a heat gun..

Perhaps something went wrong in the shipping..I'll tell him to import a second piece to compare them..

Thanks Alan!Tomorrow i will visit the dealer to see if something going wrong there and if is everything is ok,i will try to bend it a bit by a heat gun..

Perhaps something went wrong in the shipping..I'll tell him to import a second piece to compare them..
Maybe it sat in a box through several Athens 40+C summers.
smile.png

Thanks Alan!Tomorrow i will visit the dealer to see if something going wrong there and if is everything is ok,i will try to bend it a bit by a heat gun..

Maybe it sat in a box through several Athens 40+C summers.
smile.png
Well..if i am not wrong,i listen that this backrest has seat for years in the box from 2006 and i noticed the box wasn't in good condition outside..Perhaps for years under some weight in a warm hot area cause the bend..I am not sure,but is an opinion...
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Did you have to heat it?
No Alan,

Just i pushed it on the top case and i screwed with the two upper screws..

It wasn't too difficult..It is made from thick plastic and after a search that i did and the answer from the dealer,i found that the most answers that i took they had the same issue like mine..Perhaps it is the normal design from the mama Yamaha for an unknown reason where only Yamaha knows..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

****FOUL**** You have a very bad picture of it broken Mihalis. The picture is bad because it shows only and ill fitting back pad, a wall, and some trees. You have not posted a picture of it assembled properly. Do the picture of the fix correct, and include a little of your beautiful country in the background. I spent a week in Greece island hoping with a girl I was seeing in Germany back in the 90's. I was treated very well, and it was a great trip. Glad you got your back rest fixed. Wish I could visit the country again.

****FOUL**** You have a very bad picture of it broken Mihalis. The picture is bad because it shows only and ill fitting back pad, a wall, and some trees. You have not posted a picture of it assembled properly. Do the picture of the fix correct, and include a little of your beautiful country in the background. I spent a week in Greece island hoping with a girl I was seeing in Germany back in the 90's. I was treated very well, and it was a great trip. Glad you got your back rest fixed. Wish I could visit the country again.
Welcome to come again in my country!!
smile.png
And many thanks for your nice words!!
smile.png

You are right at all..!!I will post pictures where it looks fixed in the bike..Sorry for the missing...

I am a film lover and the more photos where i have from some trips are in paper..

Last i bought a digital camera..I will post some photos from around the country soon i hope..!

I just this week installed a top case on my 2008. I had the same problem. I simply pushed it down to get the screws started then completed the install. No problem.

Looks good Mihalis, backrest fits like a glove on the trunk!
--G
I think that it looks nice..!

Thanks!

I just this week installed a top case on my 2008. I had the same problem. I simply pushed it down to get the screws started then completed the install. No problem.
I believe it is a normal design from Yamaha,but i don't know the reason why it don't follow the shape of the trunk...
rolleyes.gif

You have good looking toys. That 750 adventure bike you have in the background looks like a lot of fun. Good job making the back rest fit.

You have good looking toys. That 750 adventure bike you have in the background looks like a lot of fun. Good job making the back rest fit.
Thanks!This 750 Super Tenere i bought it at 1994 as a used in a very good condition with 2.000 miles in the meter..Now the meter writes 160.000 miles..

I had not any problem all these years!I have run her in asphalt and in hard dirt roads without any damage and she never left me in the road from a trouble!Is a very trusty bike..!

Mihalis -

Looks like the install ended up working. That's a beautiful FJR you have there!

What we've seen of your country always leads us back for more. Each time we've driven down the coastal road from Athens to a Cape Sounion I wish I was on a bike instead!

Enjoy.

Mihalis -Looks like the install ended up working. That's a beautiful FJR you have there!

What we've seen of your country always leads us back for more. Each time we've driven down the coastal road from Athens to a Cape Sounion I wish I was on a bike instead!

Enjoy.
Thanks bgross!

If i understand,you have visit the Greece?from Athens to Sounion by the coastal road?

Mihalis -Looks like the install ended up working. That's a beautiful FJR you have there!

Enjoy.
Thanks bgross!

If i understand,you have visit the Greece?from Athens to Sounion by the coastal road?
Yes, a couple times - in November of 2011 and August of 2012. Both times the weather was beautiful, the people delightful, the history amazing, and lots of riders on the coast road. Many great moments & memories fill our hearts.

We'll be back again next month, but I think we're just going to spend the day walking around Athens while my sister and her husband take a tour.