Pictures to accompany EXPDSGT's handlebar mod writeup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[knifemaker - did you get the measurements -- I am interested in just how far they will move and if they could possibly hit something. I only moved mine a small amount (about two inches) so I never tested the limits. I did notice that they would only move so far due to the configeration of the set-up.

I only had a short time today to do this mod. After I realized the pins were going to be a bitch, I took out my dremel and cut the damn things off.

I tried to move the bars as far forward as they would go, and as my old eyes have a hard time seeing those little lines on my protractor, I had to whip out the BIG GLASS. From best I can tell I moved each bar out 6 degrees farther. (I think if you could remove BOTH pins , you could increase this more)

For me it seemed to help, but as I figured, the move also increased the distance of the bars from me, so although my hands seem a bit more naturaly situated, I have to reach out a bit further. I had to re-position the levers some, but nothing got in the way. (I must note here that I did increase the preload setting on the forks one more notch, as I was concerned the bar would hit the top..something I wanted to do anyway. After the mod was done, it doesn't look like the bar would have hit if I left it alone)

I did notice here that the area milled flat on the top of the tree was alot smaller than I though it would be. This is where the two pieces would "move" if enough force was used. ...as the problem here would not be the strength of the bolts as much as it is a matter of friction. And given the two slots run the same way, you would have to have quite a bit of force to get either of the bolts to pivot at a tangent to the other.

I am not however reccomending removing both pins.

And I do plan to pursue my plans on building the "Piggy Back Risers" I mentioned in another post. I really like the angle now, but I still would like them about 1-1/2 inches closer to me and about 1-1/2" higher.

KM

And I do plan to pursue my plans on building the "Piggy Back Risers" I mentioned in another post. I really like the angle now, but I still would like them about 1-1/2 inches closer to me and about 1-1/2" higher.KM
KM, I just did a search for Piggy Back Risers and this is the only post it found. Would you please tell me where your previous post on this is? Thanks.

[KM, I just did a search for Piggy Back Risers and this is the only post it found. Would you please tell me where your previous post on this is? Thanks.

Not sure what thread I mentioned it in...

Anyway,

I plan to build a set of blocks that clamp on to the exsisting handlebar , that have another set of bars clamped to them.

See basic drawing here:

https://tinyurl.com/nk6px

They will likely be machined out of aluminum, will be (not counting the bars) about 4-5/8 inches tall, 2 inches wide and about 2 inches long. I had originaly planned on having the top or 'new' bar bent a few degrees at the end where it goes into the block. This would allow you to change the drop or sweep some. The block would let you 'pull back' the bars up to where it would hit the tank, or 'rise' directly above the old bars. My thinking here is one would use a comprimise of this, raking the block back at around 45 degrees and getting a set up of around 1-1/2 inches back and 1-1/2 inches up. It would also move each bar out in width the 2 inches, giving you more leverage on the bar.

The beauty of this is it could work with any bar. I am not sure at this point if I would sell them, but have no problem of anyone using my idea for themselves.

KM

I have put over 3000 miles on my 06 FJR after removing the pins.

I have not had a bit of trouble. They are very solid and they do not move no matter how hard I push or pull. I have hit pot holes and dips.

If anyone who has done this mod has had a problem (after torquing the bar bolts and nuts) please post what happened.

I believe that this is a safe mod however it is always better to be sure.

The Doug Hines risers have the same issues but some have continued to use them with no problems. Hopefully in time some risers or handlebars with the rise and pullback built in will be manufactured. This will cut down on handling in canyon carving but for some of us this modification is much needed as demonstrated in the previous posts. And at a price that will beat some attempts already made as with the new Helibar triple tree setup. This what this board is all about. Excellent! Later...PM. <>< ;)

Hopefully in time some risers or handlebars with the rise and pullback built in will be manufactured. This will cut down on handling in canyon carving but for some of us this modification is much needed as demonstrated in the previous posts. And at a price that will beat some attempts already made as with the new Helibar triple tree setup. This what this board is all about. Excellent! Later...PM. <>< ;)
I emailed motorcyclelarry a couple weeks ago about risers for the 06 (he now has an AE). He told me he's going to design some new handlebars rather than risers and though they might be ready in the next couple months. :yahoo:

I emailed motorcyclelarry a couple weeks ago about risers for the 06 (he now has an AE). He told me he's going to design some new handlebars rather than risers and though they might be ready in the next couple months. :yahoo:

Any details?

Any details?
Yes, I have the detailed CAD drawings but it's all hush hush. I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you :assassin: :p

Be patient grasshopper. Or as Shakespeare once said, "More anon..."

Yeah, but will they work on my 05?

Bike lowered, Corbin seat, all kinds of stuff

BUT..

I need the bars closer...!

got short arms and legs... :eek: (

The FJR so easy to ride I'd hate to get rid of it cause I cant' get it to fit perfectly....

Found a differnt type of clamp for the Concours, but the guy said they hand't thot about an FJR...

https://www.murphskits.com/bar.htm

wonder if someone could come up with something like that for the FJR or if it's technically impossible...

Mary

Excellent stuff -- added to the 06 bin-o-facts -- if someone objects -- lemme know, and i'll remove it.

Any details?
Yes, I have the detailed CAD drawings but it's all hush hush. I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you :assassin: :p

Be patient grasshopper. Or as Shakespeare once said, "More anon..."

Yeah, but will they work on my 05?

Bike lowered, Corbin seat, all kinds of stuff

BUT..

I need the bars closer...!

got short arms and legs... :eek: (

The FJR so easy to ride I'd hate to get rid of it cause I cant' get it to fit perfectly....

Found a differnt type of clamp for the Concours, but the guy said they hand't thot about an FJR...

https://www.murphskits.com/bar.htm

wonder if someone could come up with something like that for the FJR or if it's technically impossible...

Mary
Mary, the handlebars motorcyclelarry's designing will be for the 06 on. There are plent of other options to raise and bring back the bars for 05s. Search this site for risers

Just thought I'd come back to this thread for a moment to check in.

I'm just about to clock 7k miles on the bike, and the handlebars are still exactly where they were torqued down months ago. I had a few moments last night after all the Christmas festivities were over, so I slapped a torque wrench on the bolts and things are still snug and fit. I continue to believe the pins are for assembly location and line-up only, and are not there to provide any real torsional resistance. The webbing between the holes is just too thin to reliable.

$.02

Enjoy and happy holidays to all.

Ok guys,

Unless I missed a thread somewhere else, it's been three months since your modification and has it helped or not???

Do you still need the bars moved closer to you???

Thanks

Under heat steal expands at a lesser rate that aluminum. Heat the bars, I used a small butane torch, and stick an ice cube on the pin but don't let the cold run on to the aluminum. Take a goood vice grip and twist the sh-- out of it and it comes right out. The pin is trashed but who cares. Find the best angle that puts the pressure evenly on your hands and it will be much more comfortable.. Don't get me wrong but it is not a 100 % fix but much better.