Pillion Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRrambo

Reaction score
My FJR has been ordered and I am showing pictures to my wife. She asks, "How do I get on with those saddlebags in place?" I reply, " I dunno, I get to ride in front." What is the best mounting technique for a 5' 5" lady?

Personally, I mount first and balance the bike but leave the kickstand down. Next I ask my wife to get on. She also mounts from the same side as the kickstand and if there were any problems, I still have the kickstand to help save me from going over. So far it's been a non-issue. She's gotten on and off just fine without ever upsetting my balance. Mounting over the bags is actually easier than it may seem when you just judge from the pictures of the bike...

What has worked for me on almost any bike I have owned is for ..you..to get on first, hold the bike up straight, both feet down , and then let her get on from the left side, by placing her left foot on the left passenger peg, standing up on it using your shoulcer to hold on to..then swinging her right leg over the seat..or simply stepping through, and sitting down as soon as she gets her right foot on the right peg. If she ever has mounted a horse using the stirrups the same principle applies here..she stands up on one foot and moves her body over the the other side. Your job is to just hold the bike up. I use the same technique for getting on a bike just by myself.

KM

What is the best mounting technique for a 5' 5" lady?
I'm guessing here, but doggy style has always been one of MY favorites, although in a pinch, missionary will do. :haha: :haha:

[SIZE=6pt]gawd, sometimes it's just too easy[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It took three posts to sink to the locker-room banter.... we're slippin, gentlemen....  :haha:
You mean you're surprised it took this long? :haha:

Besides, in my part of the country, this is "Sunday-Go-To-Meeting" banter. Locker-room banter is MUCH more entertaining. :)

Knifemaker gave a great description...only thing I could add is (of course) be holding the front brake firm when she gets on. I mean, speaking for myself, I really hate it when my wife slips off when trying to mount up!

Get a backrest/Givi trunk/support of your choice/etc. soon; she'll want a little reassurance when you light the afterburner!

Oh, and when she gets on, avoid comments like "Geez! Just how heavy are you!?" :D

If only I could get her to stop dragging boots across the bag covers. Oh well, she's so much fun to, well, have along, I just let her mount up anytime/way/ she wants to.

Knifemaker gave a great description...only thing I could add is (of course) be holding the front brake firm when she gets on. I mean, speaking for myself, I really hate it when my wife slips off when trying to mount up! Get a backrest/Givi trunk/support of your choice/etc. soon; she'll want a little reassurance when you light the afterburner!

Oh, and when she gets on, avoid comments like "Geez! Just how heavy are you!?"  :D
Its just too funny reading these posts and picturing the kind of mounting RadioHowie had in mind...

"Light the afterburner" :hyper:

Remember that the pillion footrest is a FOOTREST, it's not a step. When using it as a step a 108lb weakling probably exerts twice that weight in downward force momentarily.

Most gals have far more flexibility than us guys, and can lift their legs higher - just think Can-Can for a moment. Zea (5ft6) can lift her leg over the seat standing alongside the bike - her leather pants are actually the limiting factor. I always try and have the bike slightly downhill for her (she is uphill from the bike) and I also try and stay seated so my weight also lowers the bike fractionally. And has been said, keep the brake firmly engaged.

Now, the real answer. Best mounting technique for a .....

I get on, front brake on, lean a little to the right (the woman should always mount from the left), she steps on the left foot peg and heaves her lovely self up and on! Oh yeah, you should grit your teeth after applying the front brake. Like Toecutter, I wish she'd stop scraping her foot on the saddlebags, but what the heck, I do too sometimes and she is a ball to have ride with me.

The only thing I would add is to tell her EVERY time, BEFORE she puts her foot on the peg, to let you know she's getting on, and to wait for your response. The only time I came close to dumping the bike was when the wife started to climb aboard without letting me know first. MIKE

Knifemaker gave a great description...only thing I could add is (of course) be holding the front brake firm when she gets on. I mean, speaking for myself, I really hate it when my wife slips off when trying to mount up! Get a backrest/Givi trunk/support of your choice/etc. soon; she'll want a little reassurance when you light the afterburner!

Oh, and when she gets on, avoid comments like "Geez! Just how heavy are you!?" :D
Time to turn the tables on the lady in your life.....

'

AFTER she gets on and settle in, turn to her sweetly and ask "honey...does the FJR look fat with you on the back?"

Then goose the throttle. If you can hang on for 8 seconds, you win. :haha:

Professor - you're right; we "usually" hook up the intercom before she mounts and she tells me what she's doing, if no intercom, she grabs my arm and says she's getting on. Great woman!

First, communicate your expectations.

Before we get our helmets on, I instruct the pillion what I expect from them regarding mounting, dismounting, and riding. Of course this is not necessary for someone who rides with me frequently, but still is something you have to keep in mind.

As with most of the others, I get on first, hold the front brake, and balance the bike securely with both feet. My driveway is gravel and I sometimes need to move the bike tpo a spoyt where I have very secure footing. If I have to move the bike I normally have the side stand up at this point. I then signal with a nod of my head that it is OK for her to climb on the back. I do not instruct her to use the peg as a step or stirrup as that can cause too much leverage to the left. I do ask that they be careful about hot exhaust pipes and to not scratch the bags. The fact is, I probably scratch the bags getting on and off more frequently than may pillion.

When it is time time get off I get a firm stance just like I do for mounting, hold the front brake, then signal the pillion that it is OK to get off by extending my left arm briefly.

I have a Harley riding friend who leaves his bike on the side stand and lets his pillion mount first, with the bike leaning to the left, He then climbs on and struggles with the bike to get it upright. Doesn't look like a good idea to me.

1. remove the saddle bags

2. hold the bike and front brake

3. allow pillion to mount and sit

4. reinstall saddle bags

5. mount bike

6. apologize to pillion for kicking her in the face but take the time to note why helmets are a good thing.

7. dismount bike

8. apologize again to pillion

9. remove saddle bags

10. hold the bike and front brake

11. allow pillion to stand and dismount

12. light up a smoke while pillion takes a bathroom break.

13. goto 2.

AFTER she gets on and settle in, turn to her sweetly and ask "honey...does the FJR look fat with you on the back?"
Yeah, that reminded me...went down to the Lone Star Rally in Galveston a few weeks ago; picked up a shirt for my wife that reads: "Does this motorcycle make my butt look fast?" She actually liked it! There was one other shirt I wanted to get, but I didn't want to push my luck- it read: 'Ass...the other vagina' ! B)

Told her about it, and I just got 'the look'....

And now back to your regulary scheduled program....

Wow!!! What a group. I post a question, come back 12 hours later and have 17 excellent responses. Well, at least most were excellent. I guess Howie misunderstood my question. Does he do it doggy style while riding??? I would like to see that. :haha: :haha: :haha: