Pillion Riding Position

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually for a little variation, she could sit in front of you facing back. Picture that. :eek:

The passenger footegs come in a bit handier than you might otherwise imagine. Or so I've been told... ;)

Kinda like a sportbike

I like the direction this thread has went. Now I just need to convince my wife that is the proper way to ride. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't listen to these other guys. Their fuzzy thinking is all clouded by their advanced age. A pillion needs some room to stretch out. She needs to be in perfect balance and harmony with the motorcycle universe. And when it is particularly hot she should be able to catch some clean cool air, not your turbulent wake. Also, if you need to jam on the brakes hard, you really don't want to be knockin' noggins with her if you can avoid it.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about: NWS

I was about to say, "Have her take a MC safety course." Then I looked at prices for Alabama. Damn. Maybe you can move to PA for a few weeks and take the course here. It's free!

I was about to say, "Have her take a MC safety course." Then I looked at prices for Alabama. Damn. Maybe you can move to PA for a few weeks and take the course here. It's free!
That's awesome. I wish they were free here. I just took the MSF class and would love for my wife to also but I'm sure she would want me to go through it with her and I don't have $500 to spend right now. Especially, since I'm saving up for a Zumo!

Alexi mentioned the sport-touring-dot-net sight that has the info on pillion riding. Great info, but you may need to edit it down a bit. My wife read through it and she's about the best passenger I've ever had on the back of a bike.

BTW, I just asked her if she uses the rear grab rails at all, and I was very surprised to hear that she does!? I put a back rest on the bike for her, and just assumed that she didn't use the grab rails, but she said that she uses both the grab rails and the back rest. She also said that she wouldn't even consider riding pillion anymore without the backrest. So there ya go - info worth what ya paid for it.

Also, she really likes the Cee Baily +4+4 windshield. If we are going faster than about 65, she tells me over the intercom to raise the windshield. Makes it alot quieter for her also she says.

Alexi mentioned the sport-touring-dot-net sight that has the info on pillion riding. Great info, but you may need to edit it down a bit. My wife read through it and she's about the best passenger I've ever had on the back of a bike.
BTW, I just asked her if she uses the rear grab rails at all, and I was very surprised to hear that she does!? I put a back rest on the bike for her, and just assumed that she didn't use the grab rails, but she said that she uses both the grab rails and the back rest. She also said that she wouldn't even consider riding pillion anymore without the backrest. So there ya go - info worth what ya paid for it.

Also, she really likes the Cee Baily +4+4 windshield. If we are going faster than about 65, she tells me over the intercom to raise the windshield. Makes it alot quieter for her also she says.
Thanks for the great info. I'm looking up the Cee Baily now. The stock window seems to create some weird vaccum/tunnel between our helmets that I don't have when riding alone. Has anyone else noticed that or am I just crazy?

Thanks for the great info. I'm looking up the Cee Baily now. The stock window seems to create some weird vaccum/tunnel between our helmets that I don't have when riding alone. Has anyone else noticed that or am I just crazy?
You are not crazy, it does not affect me and my pillion, but i have the effect if i sit really straight up and could see it causing problems.

1.) What position works best for you guys. I know this is personal preference more than anything else, but I'd still like to get a consensus. So far, she likes to be toward the rear...2.) Fighting the wind: She acts like the wind is almost unbearable at 70+ mph, even with the windshield up.

3.) Controlling the bike: Any tips on her working with me instead of against me.
I'm 6'2", 220 lbs, she's 5'8" 125. When she's on the bike I ride with my seat in the low position, with my CB+2+2 fully raised.

1. I got a Garauld backrest, worked wonders for her sense of security, keeps her weight off of me while braking, so my arms are much less tired. She isn't a fan of the grab handles, prefers to grab on my waist.

2. Wind isn't a problem for her with the current set up. With the seat in the high position, I get A LOT of helmet buffeting. She rides against the backrest.

3. I ride mostly on weekends, sometimes with up to 2-3 weeks in between long distance rides. I practice every time I ride by doing figure 8's on a closed road behind my house. I do at least 2 (less than) idle speed turns going full lock before finishing. This is also the closest I have come to dropping the Feej. I practice with my wife too, which gets me comfortable with the extra weight, and adds to her trust in me and the bike. I figure, I would rather drop it at 10 mph than have her shift her weight in a 45 mph blind corner and leave us both as a Hummer hood ornament...