Pilot Road 3's and the Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Reaction score
At last count there were 17 FJR1300s entered in the event this year.... approximately 20% of the entire Starting Grid this year. I am happy to report each and every one of these FJRs are fitted with proper motorcycle tires... the preferred FJR tire appears to be the Pilot Road 3.
How did the Pilot Road 3 tires hold up during the Iron Butt Rally?

I think most actually had the PR2. I only know of one FJR that had PR3s and that belonged to Mike Mehaffy. You'll have to get specifics from him, but he told me the tires held up fine and even after returning home to St. Louis he has several thousand more miles left on the tires.

Don't know of any other FJRs with PR3s, but perhaps there are a couple more? Several other brands of bikes ran PR3s and all reports I have seen have been very good.

A good sign. Too bad they are so damned pricey.

Dean Mccurdy who rode a 2010 BMW R1200RT posted this on another forum:

I'm still on the same set of PR3 tires I put on a couple of days before the rally. They're at over 10,000 miles now and the rear looks like NEW! Front is scalloping a bit, but lots of tread left. Everyone should RUN out and buy a set of PR3s immediately. Few of the riders ran them because they're so new and unproven, but all who did were impressed. They're even better in the rain than the PR2s and apparently last longer and wear more evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.