Pilot Road II ...took this one a bit too far....but it made it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems my tires are always being replaced when I could go another 2,000 or so on them, as I hate leaving for a 4-5K trip and having to watch the back tire during the ride.
Any body keep their old back tires and put them back on to run them the last 2K or so?
Yep...a lot of us. That's part of the beauty of having your own tire machine. That was factored in when I checked the budget for a tire machine.

Here is a picture of my PR2 at 11K miles.

Rear11k.jpg

Here is a picture of how it got that way.

IMG_0424.jpg

We ride 2up and I rarely check tire pressure.

Love my PR2s and ready for the next set.

How many total miles on that tire? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yeah, I'd like to know as well - my PR2's have 12,400 on them, and Beeroux said they have a lot of tread left last time he was here - but it makes me nervous.
I only got about 9500 miles from my last set but did a lot of mountain riding. Just scrubbed off a lot of tire rubber from a nearly new set riding the PCH pretty aggrssively from Bandon Oregon to LA area, then a few hundred miles of backroads around Yosemite. Hope to get at least 9000 from this set.

Seems my tires are always being replaced when I could go another 2,000 or so on them, as I hate leaving for a 4-5K trip and having to watch the back tire during the ride.
Any body keep their old back tires and put them back on to run them the last 2K or so?
I do that too. Feels like crap but up here in the flatwest it's a good 'bridge' to get fresh tires right before a trip east or west.

I've got a set out in the shed right now and due to poor timing, it looks like I'll have another set soon. It seems like the tires are always too worn to risk that long trip with the wife, but would be fine for lots of local riding. My PR2's are at about 10k and I don't want to risk it on a 1500 mile ride with the wife.

Yes, I have my home-made tire changing outfit at home or else it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks, I know I need to change the front, and could probably go another 3k on the back, but the upcoming trip looks to be 4k or better. Think I'll have new front and rear put on, keep the rear, and start shopping for a tire changer or another rear wheel to run. Now, back to work getting the whine out of the Starcomm.

This farkleing business is almost out of hand....therapy will be the ride. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the insight in this thread... I was still kinda still debating the tire choice. PR2s'will be the ones I'm going to put on.

John