Pinlock problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had two or three Pinlocks in my Shoei Multitec, with fairly good results, but some issues too. The first one worked so well--at first--I was really delighted. The first and only anti-fogging system EVER, in my experience. BUT. After a year or so, it came loose. That is, the insert wasn't fully sealed and it kind of flopped around. And then, of course, it was not effective against fog. (By the way, I left it in all the time, clear only, day and night riding. If it was too bright I put on sunglasses.)

I tried the "fix" recommended by Pinlock: removal of insert, careful cleaning, leaving it out to dry thoroughly--over a week--and then trying to re-install. It seemed to help for a while, but IMO never really worked right again. And I did go get the right-sized oddball socket to tighten the pins/cams with. I think it was 3.5 mm on my shield; it wasn't a usual size socket in a standard-issue tool kit.

So the next year, it was time for a new visor--just general scratching and hazing, like they do. And a new Pinlock insert. All with pretty similar results.

Since I still think a Pinlock is the only thing that works on fogging at all, I figure I'll keep replacing the shield (which I consider a regular wear and tear item) as needed, and when I do that, I'll always order a new Pinlock insert to go with it. I think the insert lasts about long enough to keep up with the normal life of a faceshield, and I haven't found anything better.

I actually have 4 shields for my helmet, two clear, two dark smoke, two with pinlock, two without. During the summer I don't wear the pinlocks. This way I figure I'll be able to hopefully get 4 years out of the helmet + visors. I've had good luck so far.

I also have found that once you put the pinlock visor in, it's best to just not touch it at all. It is soft special plastic and doesn't really hold up to cleaning like the polycarbonate of the actual visor does.

I thank my stars for quick change visors, though for the most part I do day riding, so the clear visors stay at home. Once i get pair of non-polarized sunglasses then I will be able to use the clear visor all the time, though the extra light protection is also nice.