Pinlock Visors - Anyone use them?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's slick but what is the life expectancy of it for $149?
It looks like a great idea. As it mounts on the inside, it should be pretty well protected. You'd have to hope the electronics are nice and sealed--it would suck to have it go dark in a rainstorm or something. They need to integrate this into an OEM helmet, as all that could go inside the shell.

As far as life expectancy, who knows with modern electronics. I figure it's probably about the same as a pair of Oakley's for me, couple to a few years, maybe more with good care. As far as it going dark in a rainstorm, it's default setting is clear. If the battery dies (approximately 60 hours continuous use w/o charging) it goes clear. If the thing gives up during a ride you'd have to put a pair of sunglasses on. I can live with that. Once again, the automatic is completely contained inside the helmet, should be well protected. The manual just has a button that you run outside so you can work it with the visor closed. Imma try it out.

I'm sure it's been covered here before, but you need to be careful how you clean the Pinlock insert. I just found out that the plastic absorbs moisture (I know, it just doesn't sound right), which is part of it's anti-fog properties, so if you clean it with an anti-fog spray or sealant (cat crap, plexus, etc.), it doesn't work anymore. Mine started fogging up pretty bad a few months ago and I couldn't seem to figure out what was going on. I tried adjusting the pins, but the seal was already making contact all the way around. Then I read about how you're supposed to clean it. I don't spray anything on the Pinlock, but I do clean the outside of my shield with Plexus and sometimes use the same cloth to wipe the inside (Pinlock side). I've tried just rinsing and drying the Pinlock insert a few times with no luck. Last night I took the Pinlock shield off and cleaned it several times with mild soap and let everything dry overnight. I'm now fog free again. Turns out I needed to clean the Plexus completely off of the Pinlock so it can absorb the moisture again.

I've been using them for a couple years now and have been more than impressed. Several mornings so much condensation built up around the insert and along the bottom it started dripping off and onto my chin.

The only downside I can think of is that they tend to give you a double reflection of lights while its dark. (probably why they are marked for daytime use only) This is really only a minor issue for me though.

they were recommended to my by a co-worker who like me rides all the time and have and will keep recommending them. Best $50 I spent and got a new clear visor out of it.