Pirelli Angel GT's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
I replaced the rear Angel GT today with the same rear tire. The tire I took off had 10,959 miles on it. I just wanted to share a milage report with some pictures. Thanks Bryan for your help today!!

I am on my second front Angle GT. I fought front suspension issues when the first Angel was installed. I got 7,056 miles out of that front.

The Angels are a very good tire. IMHO very sticky and warm up quick. I run the tires at 42psi rear and 38 psi front. I do all different types of riding-- boring Interstate riding, commuting, and some twisties (yee hah Panman!!). I did get more miles on my PR3's than the Angels but the Angels do feel stickier than the PR3's. I do not have any feed back on the wet traction differences between the two tires. I would think the Michelin would be a better wet weather tire though.

4EF9923D-6633-4478-9D7A-510263A7815E-6903-000007F793E5EE39_zps74eb5231.jpg

7B17B20B-5133-41A8-BD18-D502A637D6A0-6903-000007F7AB4E9314_zps415b56e6.jpg

A74704C3-1D91-4949-9523-BEF4E5A73E08-6903-000007F7BADE56DA_zpsaaed54c9.jpg

The pic below shows the new tire for comparison.

7AEFCE1E-54E0-4FB1-A825-2926D9BDCE9F-6903-000007F7CA6EDAAD_zps02b07757.jpg

Few miles left in that one J!

Looks like a good tire for our roads up here...I'm just about ready to spoon on a new set of 'stones on the '09.

--G

Traction was never an issue. The tires had the same great traction throughout the life of the tire. I could have gotten a little more Milage out of the tire but it's a new year and I wanted a fresh rear tire

Whilst I agree that the GT are a nice tire, as far as grip goes, they certainly don't have the longevity of the PR2.

I tried a set of Angel GTs and even being moderately gentle on them (since I was on a trip and wanted to avoid but tires on the road) the rear tire only lasted a little under 4k miles, I can typically get 4.5k miles out of a PR2 while going harder than I did with the GTs
mda.gif

IMG_7981.jpg

PR3 & PR4 are junk, and a flowed design which hopefully Michelin due to poor sales number will finally understand. The fact that PR2 are still being produced IMHO is a good indication that Michelin know the PR3 & 4 are a flop.

These tire threads always get responses that seem all over the place. I find it amazing how I can get 11,000 miles from a rear tire and someone else can only get barely 4,000 of the same rear tire. Explain that one Captain Ron?? Lol

I know I always monitor tire pressure. I run the bike with a top case and side cases loaded 2/3rds of the time. I'm thinking that really hot asphalt would really take a toll on the milage of any rear tire. I ride in WA, OR and ID so the majority of the asphalt temperatures are not that high. Excep that ride that me and pops were on last year over near east Wenatchee and Cresent Bar. Bike read 106 on that ride.

I've got 11,000 miles on a set of PR3s....
Tip: If anybody wonders why tire threads are often moved to NEPRT....its often when posts are made that have zero content about the title. That's OK if people are fine with threads there, but If folks want these kinds of threads to not end up in NEPRT....it would help to stick to the thread title.
smile.png

Thanks.

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that if someone was wondering how the Angle GT's hold up and how they handle the thread that I spent time to write wont do any good.

Would it be possible to delete the post that someone made instead of throwing the whole thread into the trash can? If that post didn't pertain to the topic that was started.

Just saying

Would it be possible to delete the post that someone made instead of throwing the whole thread into the trash can? If that post didn't pertain to the topic that was started.
In this case--we'll try it. Off-topic post removed....thread back to Parts and Accessories. Hopefully, future posters will stick to the subject. And if somebody wants to talk about the subject of off-topic posts...go start a thread in the Forum Ops area. :)

My initial impressions of the Angel GT were very positive. One of the best handling tires I have used on the FJR. I did not find they lasted as long as the advertising hype (significantly less than PR2) and the front developed a bad deceleration wobble at a bit over 5000 miles. I have never experienced the wobble on any tire on the FJR until the Angel. They weren't cheap and I don't think I will be going back to them.

I loved the Angel GT. Great handling and they stick to the ground real good. I rode them hard and I never felt like they were losing grip. I got approx. 10k (km) out of the rear. I can't complain. You get great grip as a trade off for some mileage life. I will be going with them again when my stock tires on the 2014 get used up.

I've always been a fan of Pirelli tires. Used to run the Diablo Strada but had to find something else when those were discontinued so I tried the Angel. I find them confidence-inspiring especially in the wet. I get about 6k miles from the rear and about 10k from the front. I'd recommend them to anyone. I used to have the 40-50 decel wobble regardless of tire wear but that too has gone away with the replacement of my steering bearings.

I'm running a set now, and I have that quandary--should I replace it now or in 1,500 miles? So far I'm at almost 8K with my front and rear. Front is a bit cupped--I waited a bit long to retorque the steering bearing. I'm hoping the front will wear better.

Typically I get 7500 out of the rear and 9K out of the front. I'm amazed at how good the rear looks on my bike now.

Here's what my rear tires look like at 7,950 miles (a little muddy from the alley):

16745177716_7a7dce0f17_c.jpg

16584910079_4dde80e938_c.jpg

16771052235_8a482ae047_c.jpg

Have a set of Angel GT's sitting on the veranda, both front & rear have worn strange at 8,000 kms, 5000 miles.

Story and more pics here

trye1.JPG

tyre4.JPG

Pirelli are organizing a replacement set, one day.

Swapped out another set last week and the same was happening to the tyres on my mates FJR at 7000kms.

Yet I know of 2 riders with BIG kms on the GT's, still good.

Different factories ???

I have been on Pirelli GT's for the last couple sets and like them enough they will be what I get again. The only complaint I have is that the last change I felt like I went from ok to dangerous almost instantaneously.

Some comparison photos & data: the rear had 8001 miles on it, with a center tread depth of .004" (the new tire has .008").

16616784789_3d82ed95ea_c.jpg

16802899915_674beab422_c.jpg

Probably good for 750-1,000 more local miles...but I have some trips coming up, so, better safe than sorry!