Pirelli Angel St

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyfjr

Reaction score
Well having got to the point where my PR2 were badly scalloped on the front, I decided I would try out the Pirelli brand. The weather here for the bedding in process has been quite cold with no more 6 degrees Celsius. I have now put 300miles on these new tyres. They seem quite impressive at the moment, with no hint of slipping in cold and damp conditions. I still have an inch to take off the side walls but that will come. The turn in is fast compared to the old PR2s, but that seems the way new tyres behave, there is no wobble from the handle bars(no hands) when deceleration happens.

Now the issue, compared to the PR2, the bike feels more twitchy, and when taking sweeping corners(50-70mph corners) the bike tends to weave especially if the corner isn't super smooth. the bumps tend to induce an oscillation, leading to the weave. This didn't happen on my PR2 when new or old or when riding down to the dealer for the tyre change. The pressures are 39/42 cold and the suspension hasn't been altered between tyres. The bike is in good order with fresh fork oil 3k miles ago and Ohlins YA707 on the back. The steering doesnt seems too loose.

Does anybody have any suggestions, so I can restore the confidence inspiring handling?

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Quicker turn in is usually just increased sensitivity to steering inputs. That means all steering inputs. Even on straight bits of road or when curves aren't perfect. If you prefer a more sensitive tire or bike you have to learn to be light-handed when riding. One common thing is to reduce how much you lean on the bars. If you're not already holding yourself up off the bars with your back, that's one thing to try.

I've found similar response with the Angels. I've got ~500 miles on them, coming off of 15K+ miles on PR2s. Never liked the way the PR2s felt. The Angels feels great in turns, and a bit sensitive going straight down the road, although its been a bit windy here, lately.

Figured it is mostly me - being used to the squared off PR2s and being a bit heavy handed. Getting used to them more every day. Love the quicker turn in. Hope the miles come close to the PR2s.

Hope the miles come close to the PR2s.
They won't. Keep a close eye on the back tire.

I like both the PR2s and Angels for different riding situations, but the Angles don't last me half as many miles as the PR2s.

So far, the Angels are my favorite tires. I don't know how long

they'll last for me as I haven't worn them out, yet. Assuming mileage

isn't too bad I'll probably stick with them. We shall see.

As to the OP: Try increasing fork preload a bit, effectively raising

the front end, increasing trail and imparting a little more stability.

Re: Angels vs PR2s, I had the opposite results as the OP. I found the

PR2s "squirrely" with lots of "bump-steer" in turns and vague feed-back

while the Angels had me feeling like a hero and scraping pegs

within the first 50 miles.

Wouldn't you know it. Got about two weeks or so on the new Angels and I had a low pressure warning for the rear when I got to work this morning. Put her up on the stand and found a damn nail in the tire. Have to pull it off this weekend and patch it. Dagnabbit! :angry2:

if the nail hole is in a beefy section of tread you may have a plug (sticky string) option. I have sucessfully plug a couple rear tires that way. No need to take wheel off the bike. Plug and go!

YMMV

Dropped about 5 psi at lunch time. Pumped it back up with the compressor and rode home. Only lost about 1 psi on the ride. Got a decent patch kit last night and plan to pull the wheel today. This just adds more justification to the purchase of the Cycle Hill tire changer. ;)

Dropped about 5 psi at lunch time. Pumped it back up with the compressor and rode home. Only lost about 1 psi on the ride. Got a decent patch kit last night and plan to pull the wheel today. This just adds more justification to the purchase of the Cycle Hill tire changer. ;)
Just curious. What patch kit do you have?

I've always used sticky strings because they can be used quick and easy on the side of the road. I remember tire patches that went on the inside of tubeless tires but I haven't seen them in a few years.

I picked up a Slime patch kit. Has one big patch and two smaller patches, glue, and the little metal rubber scrubber. Put the patch in this morning. Seems to be holding air okay. See how it hold through monday.

Got her done and had a chance to take the ole FJ out for a spin. Its been a while, but was instantly familiar and it was nice to be out on the old friend. Was almost 70 deg, and there were bikes out everywhere.

Well after another 100miles I decided to alter the suspension. Whilst riding the rear felt like it was a little soft, so I adjusted the Ohlins preload a couple of notches to harder. This dampened the front oscillation down a bit. I also found that the bike behaved better if I had a firmer grip whilst applying counter steering inputs. If I had a loose grip the bike would still want to weave a little with a slight lean, but not so when really leaned over. I have an all balls race kit for the steering now, but first I will have the front tyre checked for balance again, maybe even convince the dealer to change out the front tyre.

Plus side, Angel st do have good grip.

I've not had the Angel ST's on the FJR, but I do on the SV650 and based on that, I will not put them on the FJR. They have slipped too many times when cold. It is far too easy lock the rear tire or slide the rear end, even when the tire has been warmed up but is on a cold (45F) surface. This is too bad, as I really liked its predecessor (Strada's) (and ran those on my VFR too).

Keep in mind the SV is not a torque-monster. I can only imagine it being worse on the FJR, and will thus stick to PR2's.

A friend (VFR) swears byt the Angel ST's, but he hasn't tried the PR2's yet ;-)

Andyfjr - What are you doing with your body as you turn? Try hanging off the bike a little in the side which you're turning (you won't need to push the bars as far to that side). Press the non-turning side knee and thigh into the lower side of the tank, point your other knee toward the indside of the turn and move your butt toward the inside of the turn (hang it off the bike a little if you really need to turn quickly). You will need to lower your upper body so that you are looking out of the lower part of the windshield. Make sure you've solid purchase on the grips and pegs or you'll experience that warm felling of road rash (or worse)! You could touch your knee down if you are wearing sliders but don't let the rozzers see it or they'll be taking your bike home (illegal in the UK)!

If this resolves the issue then you should have your steering head checked for torque. It may be loose (meatheat at the dealer may have looked at his torque wrench for Newton Meters instead of Foot Pounds or something like this).

David

I have 9k miles on rear and 8k on front. Maybe another 1k left on the rear left and 2k on the front. These are 10k tires for me it seems. I liked these alot.

I'm on my second set of Pirelli angel's. They have had awesome grip in warm,wet,cold and all kinds of conditions the Northeast can throw at them. So far I can't get much more than 5-6k miles out of a rear tire no matter what brand. My front does have some life left but I like changing both tires at the same time. I also put about 1k miles on the rear towing my camper so I figured I would have maybe got 7k miles out of the rear if I didn't tow with it. So out of the Metzeler Z6,Bridgestone BT-021 and the Pirelli Angel's I like the Angels the best out of all these tires.

... I also put about 1k miles on the rear towing my camper...
If you mean you towed the bike on its rear wheel, you are advised not to do this.

From the Driver's Handbook:

CAUTION

Even with the transmission in the neutral position, do not coast for long periods of time with the engine off, and do not tow the vehicle for long

distances. The transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission.

... I also put about 1k miles on the rear towing my camper...
If you mean you towed the bike on its rear wheel, you are advised not to do this.

From the Driver's Handbook:

CAUTION

Even with the transmission in the neutral position, do not coast for long periods of time with the engine off, and do not tow the vehicle for long

distances. The transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission.
No I have a tent camper I pull behind the bike. Like this

October2010001.jpg

Okay, well after a few crappy weather days, I've fitted the All Balls taper roller bearing in the headstock. There is a very noticeable firming up of the steering (I set the torque at 22LB after applying a pre-load of 35LB) Worth while mod if you're in need of servicing the steering bearings.

The Weave didn't disappear after the All Balls were fitted, it improved a little. Well after cleaning the bike I was inspecting the rear tyre, I pressed the tyre and was surprised how much movement the whole tyre made, there is noticeable movement in the whole carcass from a firm thumb press. The front doesn't move as much. So I have played with the tyre pressures, and here is what I've found. With the rear set at 44psi cold and the front at 35psi the weave has settled down to a point where I can now live with it.

These tyres are much softer than the Michelin PR2s in carcass and rubber surface, which explains the excellent grip they give and inspire confidence once leaned well over. These tyres aren't going to last long but will be good fun while they do!

So those who are experiencing weave or wobble check the tyres for carcass movement and play with tyre pressures to firm up or soften until you feel happy with the setup

Andy