Pirelli Angel St

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't agree, the rear is less than 5% over inflated and the front is just 10% under. My setup has the rear tyre carcass moving too much for my confidence in the bike handling. I will bring up the front tyre pressure to see when the weave becomes confidence problem.

My bike has to cope with 270lb of rider with full kit, so maybe Angel st are not coping well with so much weight and out of spec tyre pressures is the only way to make them perform as I expect.

Andy

Lowered my front about 3 psi to 37, with the rear around 42. Much improved stability at speeds ~80 mph, which is where I was having issues.

Already NEPRT, so here's a data point. Just pulled the rear Angel at just over 8K miles. Got to work on thursday and saw a little cord (that hadn't been there on wednesday). Got home and saw a lot of cord. Pulled it off saturday morning and put back on the old PR2, which had almost 16K miles. I have a set of Storm II Ultras waiting to go on, but we had a family reunion this weekend in PA and I didn't have time to pull the front. And the front Angel still looks okay. I will say that the Angels had a weekend of spirited rides in the mountains around Boone, NC and on the Snake in TN. Both the Angels and the PR2s had long trips. But I still was hoping to get more miles. Here are comparo pics of the Angel at 8+K and the PR2 at almost 16K.

Angel ST Rear

PirelliAngelSTRear8Kmilescrop.jpg

PR2 Rear

FJR-PR2s-15791-mi-003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Angels st have 3k on them now. The front has squared off, this will be due to me running a few psi below norm (for stability reasons). The rear has also squared off quite noticeably. The rear pressure was set at 42 psi.

I can't fault the grip with these tyres, but the instability is not something I can live with. I will be changing these tyre at the end of the season.

Having spoken to some local fjr owners, I will probably try the Roadsmarts. I don't mind changing tyres once a year for the mileage I do, traded against rock steady handling and grip.

My Angels st have 3k on them now. The front has squared off, this will be due to me running a few psi below norm (for stability reasons). The rear has also squared off quite noticeably. The rear pressure was set at 42 psi.

I can't fault the grip with these tyres, but the instability is not something I can live with. I will be changing these tyre at the end of the season.

Having spoken to some local fjr owners, I will probably try the Roadsmarts. I don't mind changing tyres once a year for the mileage I do, traded against rock steady handling and grip.
You should consider the Conti Motions. Recently spooned on a set and LOVE them. Sticky as hell. I don't think they will have the best life but that doesn't sound like an issue for you. And over on this side of the pond they are VERY cheap compared to the other tires.

Ok .. new transmission and new Pirelli Angels ... pretty much all I have used since I bought my FJR is diablo stradas (22K miles since I purchased the bike).

My angle on angels:

Much sharper steering, lightning quick turn in = MUCH MORE FUN in the super technical stuff.

Totally stable, predictable, and wonderful in sweepers between 70 and 120.

- and at "faster speeds" in a straight line.

Excellent wear (so far after 1000 hard miles and 300 commute miles)

After getting bike back from shop, I rode the usual "flat out" speed to laguna seca from Zuma Beach ... only touching a freeway for about six miles - otherwise the best super technical and flat out technical and FLAT OUT roads in socal - 1000 miles of this (I ride "a bit" aggressively). After getting home I've put 300 commuting miles on her.

These tires rock. I really love the fast turn in.

After getting bike back from shop, I rode the usual "flat out" speed to laguna seca from Zuma Beach ... *snip*.... (I ride "a bit" aggressively).
You didn't pass a bunch of cars and an FJR across a double yellow approaching a 20mph blind corner did you?

:lol: