Pirelli Angel STs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'll be finding out.

I just ordered a set of Angels from Competition Accessories for $220.

(This is with the "non-E" rear. With the E, it would be about $60 more.)

This will be my first set of Pirellis.

So far, I like the grip and overall performance of the Angels. I have not done enough miles on Angels to comment about tread life.

I've been testing various rear tires all with Strada fronts to better evaluate the rear tires only. Besides, this time of year, even a relatively POS tire performs fairly well. You have to wait for late summer hurricanes and cooler temps to truly evaluate how well a tire handles.

However, summer temps are really good for evaluating tread life, because the hot chipseal roads around here work like grinding torches on tires.

:(

I guess I'll be finding out.
I just ordered a set of Angels from Competition Accessories for $220.

(This is with the "non-E" rear. With the E, it would be about $60 more.)

This will be my first set of Pirellis.
What made you choose the Angels?

I liked the price!

I have PR2's on the bike now, and have gotten good mileage from them. I just don't like the way they have felt for the last half of their life.

(I forgot to write down the mileage when installed, so I don't have a total.)

Widest chicken strips I've ever seen! :p

chicken_strips.jpg

Keep it in the curves and you've got another 3k miles on that shoe. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, with all this jibber jabber from you guys I have to wonder.

So, its now September. I have had my FJ for just over a month and have about 2,200k miles on her. I'll be needing new tires soon, and seeing as I'm less than satisfied with the PR2's that came on this rocket, I'll need another set of sneakers pretty soon.

Seems like most of the reports claim this Angel tire gets between 4-7k miles. Is that it?

seeing as I'm less than satisfied with the PR2's that came on this rocket, I'll need another set of sneakers pretty soon.
What didn't you like about the PR2's?

I will be swapping out my current Pirelli Diablo Stradas, going to try some other brand as the current rear tire may have 100 miles left, maybe 1k, hard telling with them, and the new Angel's I had seen at a shop look like they would be the same-no indication of how much (or little) rubber is left in the center.

So far, I like the grip and overall performance of the Angels. I have not done enough miles on Angels to comment about tread life.
I've been testing various rear tires all with Strada fronts to better evaluate the rear tires only. Besides, this time of year, even a relatively POS tire performs fairly well. You have to wait for late summer hurricanes and cooler temps to truly evaluate how well a tire handles.

However, summer temps are really good for evaluating tread life, because the hot chipseal roads around here work like grinding torches on tires.

:(
So Jeff, what's your conclusion on the Angels rear? I know that since May you've probably already gone through a couple of sets of tires, but still curious to hear what your view is on the Angels.

Well, that shot of the front doesn't show the halo, which is the center wear indicator and that says that you needed to replace it as well - Angels DO have wear indicators in the form of the tread pattern; When it shows an angel's halo it is good. When it shows a devil (the halo disappears) you replace. Unlike the Stradas, which have no useful wear indicator the halo is on the centerline.

Of course, if you ignore the indicators and just keep riding, you will eventually show steel.

You know, with all this jibber jabber from you guys I have to wonder.
So, its now September. I have had my FJ for just over a month and have about 2,200k miles on her. I'll be needing new tires soon, and seeing as I'm less than satisfied with the PR2's that came on this rocket, I'll need another set of sneakers pretty soon.

Seems like most of the reports claim this Angel tire gets between 4-7k miles. Is that it?
What don't you like about the PR2's? I'm on my 2nd set and love them. Good grip in wet and dry weather and good mileage (8,000) out of my last set.

Turn in on them is nice as well.

Well, that shot of the front doesn't show the halo, which is the center wear indicator and that says that you needed to replace it as well - Angels DO have wear indicators in the form of the tread pattern; When it shows an angel's halo it is good. When it shows a devil (the halo disappears) you replace.
Actually, the halo and wings etc. aren't wear indicators, but are supposed to wear off the tire in the 600-800 mile range. That's when they did for me. The tires do seem to lack any form of a wear bar, but the "demon eyes" in the center of the rear tire give you a pretty good read on tread wear at the center.

I have been very happy with mine so far. Good handling wet and dry. I've got a little over 4000 miles on them, with around 3000 of that running 2-up and fully loaded. I took tread depth measurements when new. I haven't actually checked to see where they're at now, but I would guesstimate them to be 1/2 worn at this point. I have a 2-3K mile ride coming up first thing in Oct. I should have a good idea after that about how long they should last.

What didn't you like about the PR2's?
I dont like how they turn. Though, Im going to guess that its me more than the bike. I am used to a certain way of riding (again, Im coming from 8 years of dual sports) so the rake of this bike is probably throwing me off. I just dont see the bike falling into corners as easily as I'd like. Its like I have to force the bike to turn, but yet, once she does get it she falls right in.

So, if PR2's are the first high mileage tire, whats the next level?

Im thinking I'll go with an Angel or a Storm.

I had cords showing on my Z6 very similar to your pic. But, I knew it was getting down and just kept an eye on it. When the cord first started showing a bit, I rode another 200 miles on a day trip, then decided no more fooling around, just change it.

Got a PR2 on the rear to try it, Z6 on the front. The turn in is not as good as Z6's for sure, and showing some noise 1/3 worn. Not awful, I still like the tire, but......... did I mention I'm looking at the dark side?

I still like the tire, but......... did I mention I'm looking at the dark side?
.....and the insanity spreads! :dribble:
Why, yes it does! Ray is going to get the chance to experience the darkside this weekend.

Matter of fact any and all that show up had best give it a try B) or the is a distinct possibility their beer may get warm and salty :evilsmiley03:

:jester:

I still like the tire, but......... did I mention I'm looking at the dark side?
.....and the insanity spreads! :dribble:
Why, yes it does! Ray is going to get the chance to experience the darkside this weekend.

Matter of fact any and all that show up had best give it a try B) or the is a distinct possibility their beer may get warm and salty :evilsmiley03:

:jester:
You let that semi-sane toad licker ride your bike? Better get one of these:

275843protection.jpg