Pirelli Diablo Strada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjfjr

Reaction score
I just spooned on the Pirelli Diablo Strada on front and rear and noticed how flexible the sidewall was on the rear one compared to the BT020 I just removed. I will be heading to the Gap (Smokey Mountains) this weekend and will give my impressions on this tire later. I tried these because I put some regular Diablos on my SV650 and they are great in the twisties and in the wet. The rear tire is a bear to change out. It took two of use and we had to use the old tire tool you use with tubes. I don't see anyway to demount the tire on tour with out a shops help. First bike I have had that I didn't feel I could change tires beside the road.

DRJFJR

I have worn the Stradas now for 2700 miles. They have been flawless. No bad manners at all. A tread wear check shows that the front tire started with 5/32 tread and now has 4/32. The rear started with 7.5/32 and now has 5/32. I am not easy on tires. YRMV.

I have about 3K on my Diablos, including a trip to the Gap for EOM. So far, very good. Nice traction, no bad habits (shake or walk). Haven't been in the rain yet, so can't say for sure about that, but I bet it's not a problem.

I think all tires are easier to work with than the BT's, but I had a heck of a time mounting the Diablo rear, too. But then, I had a tough time with the Avon, as well.

I wonder if our Diablos are the EMS style tires. As in Extra Mileage. I emailed Pirelli and never got a response. These babies might last a long time. Perhaps longer than the Avons. I just don't know if all of the Diablos are the EMS tires.

One nice thing about the Diablo over the Avon is that the Pirelli is marked at the light spot in the tire and is perhaps easier to balance.

Avons are next on my bike. After I run both brands, I might just go back to the Pirelli. A bit cheaper, and perhaps might last longer without any quirks? We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been running a Strada on the rear now for just over 7000 miles. Still have over 3mm to the wear bars. No dry or wet weather complaints...but I'm easy on tires.

--G

I should add, based on this one tire I wouldn't hesitate to run another set.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys that are running the Pirellis keep us updated occasionally on the tires progress and performance. I'm running Avons now and like them, but am interested in the Pirellis. :bye:

GP

I just had my Diablo's mounted today,, at a local shop ,, the owner is a privater ,, and has been racing for 20 years

mounting , tb's sync'd , and old tire disposal $110

the dealership wanted $95 just to mount the tyres

I missed EOM due to some family issues ,, so I am going down to Shady Valley this weekend ,, via 221,58,133, then onto Townsend on Monday

Since were talking about Pirelli. I just wanted to mention they really stepped up for the CFO meeting this year with 2 sets of Strada's. Hopefully those that won them will let us know how they're wearing.

I still have the OEM BT's on my '05. I have the Pirelli Dragons on my '04 Aprilia RSVR Factory and they take a lot of heat before they start to grip well.

Is that true of the Strada's also, or did Aprilia just use a cheap Pirelli on this bike knowing owners would swap it out?

the pirelli tires that are on the aprilias are a very different compound. I had a mille r for a while and the OE dragons were not that good. try a standard Dragon Supercorsa (the race tire) or a diablo and you'll see a big difference.

as for the EMS (extended mileage sport), there are three diablo tires. The diablo CORSA is the track day tire. I put a set of them on my FJR a while ago for some very sporty two up riding. The rear lasted a bit over 4500 miles and I took the front off at the same time (still had plenty of tread left). The "standard" diablo is the all around sport tire. some track use but basically street oriented. Then there is the Diablo Strada EMS. They didn't want to call it a sport touring tire because it's got a lot better grip and probably a bit less durability compared to some ST tires, but it's more like a sport tire with extended mileage. you can run them on standard sport bikes and get good mileage and still great grip.

I just put a set of the diablo stradas on mine a few weeks ago. only have about 1500 miles on them but so far so good. I did a two day track day at Barber and rode both days two up on the track and never had any issues with the tires (as far as sliding and such). good in the mountains. Turn in is not as quick as the diablo corsas but unless you were coming off a sport bike you would never know the difference.

we'll see how the mileage works out..

The diablo CORSA is the track day tire. I put a set of them on my FJR a while ago for some very sporty two up riding. The rear lasted a bit over 4500 miles... [snip]
Can you defne "very sporty"? I am running the Michelin Pilot Powers, and I will be glad if they make it past the 3500 mile mark on the FJR, and I consider myself very gentle on tires. (the MPP lasts about 6200 miles on my VFR). The Diablo Corsa's are way softer than the MPP, and the MPP has a very good wear rate for a sports tire. I would use up a Diablo Corsa in less than 2000 miles if I ride the same as I did with the current set of MPP's.

I have just come home form a run from Roanoke to Shady Valley n back

on a new set of Stradas,,

they feel so much better than the Battleaxes ,, sticky ,, confidence inspiring in tight turns ,, the bike just feels more flickable with them

that is said with the past 7 thousand miles on the crappy Axes ,,

so maybe it is just having a set of good rubber under me that makes the difference,, I will see after some real milage ,,

F.Y.I. for anyone considering the Stradas. I was at the Vegas bikefest about a month ago. In the vendor area, there was an 04 FJR at the Saddlemen display. Spoke w/ the owner who does work for Saddlemen. He said they would have a saddle available near the end of the year. Additionally, he showed me a Diablo Strada that he was testing for Pirelli. It is planned to be an FJR specific tire that they also hope to have out by the end of the year. It had specific marks where the wear was being monitored by the company after his long rides. He was going from L.V. to Texas then back to CA (if I remember correctly) then the tires were going to be removed for analysis. He said it difffered in the tread configuration over the present tire and would have a special fitting for the FJR. Something to consider if you don't tires immediately. I'm going to put on the Stradas by Spring.

Well I can tell you about wet traction. It rained every day this past weekend in the Smokey mountains. Nary a slip with the Diablo Stada's. They seem to be more flickable than the BT020's. Will keep you posted.

DRJFJR

I have the plan diablos on my SV650 and they are a sport tire and I don't believe I would get more that 2500 to 3k miles on them on the FJR. The Strada's are a sport touring tire. It is like comparing the pilot sport to the pilot road or the Mez6 to the Sporttec M1

in all the discriptions I have seen the Strada has a harder center compound for long distance and sticky sides for twisty grip ,, and as said earlier they are going to be an FJR specific tyre ,, on the Dialbo site they have an FJR in the wet grip section ,,

they feel great to me so far !! and I am not a passive rider ,,

The diablo CORSA is the track day tire. I put a set of them on my FJR a while ago for some very sporty two up riding. The rear lasted a bit over 4500 miles... [snip]
Can you defne "very sporty"? I am running the Michelin Pilot Powers, and I will be glad if they make it past the 3500 mile mark on the FJR, and I consider myself very gentle on tires. (the MPP lasts about 6200 miles on my VFR). The Diablo Corsa's are way softer than the MPP, and the MPP has a very good wear rate for a sports tire. I would use up a Diablo Corsa in less than 2000 miles if I ride the same as I did with the current set of MPP's.
I was very surprised by the wear on the diablo corsa on the FJR. i was going on a long weekend ride with a group I ride with and I was riding two up. The other two guys I was riding with were on a Mille R and a ducati 748 so I knew i'd have to hustle a bit. I usually lead as I know all the roads pretty well and knew roughly where we were going and didnt' want to hold up my friends. And no I don't ride over my head, I know my speeds and skills on the FJR and other bikes.

we left ATL friday afternoon, headed up thru north GA, up to Deals Gap and thru there, across and around Knoxville and up to Cumberland Gap. then saturday rode up into KY and VA and Wva, then sunday morning back to ATL via more twisties.

was a bit over 1k miles give or take and I figured that after that ride and a bit of commuting that they woudl be toast by 2k miles. but they just kept going and going. I have two other track/race bikes so I tend to ride pretty hard in the mountains and it's always 2 up, and then I commute about 150 miles a day when i'm not travelling and that's all highway. I also use the FJR on the track but again it's all two up. at least I wear out the sides about the same as the center.. :) the DC's never did get used on the track.

but yes I was very surprised with the wear. for one the roads in the SE are much less abrasive compared to many other areas of the US. Also I have always been easy on tires. I tend to carry a lot more corner speed than most so I'm not on the gas or brakes much when I ride in the mountains, so that helps. I had an 01 R6 that I put about 36k miles on in about a year and a half and usually could get 7-9k miles out of rear tires (usually M1's but one set of diablos, a set or two of 207's, etc. I never liked avon, michelin or stones). so i'm not always a good benchmark as I seem to get quite a bit more mileage out of tires. so far I got 5k out of the stock 020's (one track day and a decent amount of twistys), 4.5k out of the diablo corsas, and I've got about 1.5k out of the stradas so far (with two days at Barber). I always put a premium on the handling and response/grip of the tires, and dont' mind paying for tires. I guess that's what you get for buying $3k worth of tires at a time at the track and buring them up quickly. :bigeyes: tires are cheaper than bodywork.. :D

just my opinions.. take them for what it's worth. my riding style is probably different than yours... hopefully!! I like the mileage of the stradas so far and can't see there's an issue with the grip. You run out of clearance long before you run out of grip with most of the sporty tires out there..