pirelli stradas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4000 miles on my Stradas and I love 'em. Course, I loved my OE Metz Z4s also. Got 10K out of them. I'm generally quite easy on tires cuz I don't like spending $300 every few thousand miles on new skins. I did rip up the Dragon a few times

at EOM 05. Ask wpbfjr.

Sure wish they'd put some center tread on the Strada.

I like everything about the stradas, except the excessive counter steer you have to exert when taking the curves. The more they wear the harder they are to turn in. They do feel planted and stick to the asphalt well though. The Avon Azaros were much easier. I liked them a lot. Getting ready to put a set of Storms on and try them out. I currently have just over 8,000 miles on my stadas with moderately aggressive riding.

GP

Stradas... Hands down the best damn tire I've ever run. But I'm still searching for something that will give me Strada performance and PR tread life.

My advice, don't run the E-spec rear unless you and passenger total more than 400 lbs. You will get better tread life from the non E-spec rear, and if you change your own rubber, you better have friends to help with the E-spec. I've seen it choke many a semi-automatic Coats tire changer!

Buy the non E-spec, drill three or four 6.0mm depth holes in the center tread area for wear indicators and keep your eye on the rear. The front will last through two rears.

Stradas... Hands down the best damn tire I've ever run. But I'm still searching for something that will give me Strada performance and PR tread life.
My advice, don't run the E-spec rear unless you and passenger total more than 400 lbs. You will get better tread life from the non E-spec rear, and if you change your own rubber, you better have friends to help with the E-spec. I've seen it choke many a semi-automatic Coats tire changer!

Buy the non E-spec, drill three or four 6.0mm depth holes in the center tread area for wear indicators and keep your eye on the rear. The front will last through two rears.
No shit, that E-spec kicked me and MotorSwat's ass the other day on his Harbor Freight changer.

Better tread life out of the non-E? I would've thought it the other way around for some reason. I almost never carry a passenger and I'm pretty sure I weigh less than 400 lbs.

All of our tire experiences seem to be quite different. I never got more than 4500 miles from a rear and this included Avon 46's and Non E Strada's with a low of 2500 on BT 020's. I now have an "E" Strada with 5000 miles on it riding solo and loaded 2 up and it looks like it may have another 1500 to 2000 left in it. I am very happy with the "E".

Al

For many riders the standard non-E will offer more mileage because it has deeper tread.

This is also true for the Bridgestone OEM and general replacement rear tires. The standard general replacement tire will offer more mileage for many riders because it has deeper tread.

Love the Stradas - I have run Bridgestones and Metzlers and much prefer the Stradas for stick and mileage - Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to the party but here's another :thumbsup: for the Stradas. Just slapped on a set and ran them for 800 miles of WV twisties at a spririted pace over the weekend. Rode them in rain, dry, clean roads, and dirty roads. I like'em!

I'm running non-"E" spec. Currently have the pressures set to 38lbs front and rear. I ride one up and check in around 190lbs with full gear. I did note that the lead edge of the siping was feathering just a bit after the weekends fun. I suspect that's mostly the result of a well worn rear shock.

Here's another endorsement for the Stradas. I've got a little over 6,000 miles on an E-spec and have about 1/32 left before I hit the wear bars. Could probably milk it for another 1,000 but will need to swap it out before the MN1000.

Well, I had read so many posts about these tires that I picked up a set today for $230 for the "E" tires. I also added Smart Tire and some angled valve to finish off the package. I can wait to change my tires now... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
just put on a pair of stradas and have about 400 miles on them. Not as grippy a feel as the Dunlop D208's that they replaced but they are a really nice tire. Should give me more than the 2800 mi i got from the D208s.

just put on a pair of stradas and have about 400 miles on them. Not as grippy a feel as the Dunlop D208's that they replaced but they are a really nice tire. Should give me more than the 2800 mi i got from the D208s.
I may have this wrong, but aren't the D208s, Dunlop's High-Performance tire? The Diablo Strada is not the same class tire if that's the case. The Pirelli Diablo would be the apple-to-apple comparison between the D208.

I had a set of the Stradas on before these new Avon Storms. They stuck like glue, gave me that counter steering problem when the front started to wear as stated above, and the rear gives no indication of when the cords will show through. I went from what looked like a tire that would go another 1k or so to full cords after another 250 miles.

But at the same time, if these Storms give me trouble as the miles go on I'm going right back to the Stradas. So far the Storms outperform the Stradas (for me anyway) by far. Steering input is much smoother on the Storms.

As I'm getting close to putting on some new tires and reading about all of the tires available, I contacted Pirelli about the wear indicators on the Stradas and this is what they say:

"These are marked on the sidewall with a set of letters (TWI) and straight across from these marks are the wear indicators in the grooves. The closest TWI to the center of the tire is less than 3/8 of an inch away. "

I haven't had a chance to check out the Stradas in person to check this out.

I've noticed small hairline cracks on my rear standard Strada. On the outside edge of the large centerline tread block I can see small cracks developing where the tread block intersects/joins with the carcass of the tire. This may be normal and nothing to be concerned about. For straight line riding most all of the weight is supported on that centerline tread block.

I may have this wrong, but aren't the D208s, Dunlop's High-Performance tire? The Diablo Strada is not the same class tire if that's the case. The Pirelli Diablo would be the apple-to-apple comparison between the D208.
Jeff, sorry i never replied to this. You absolutely right, the D208s are a HP tire the strada is not at that level. I was looking for something that would give me more longevity. I started with the 208's (my first set of tires) because I wanted to have the surest footing in the twisties while i got to know the bike. Since changing them i have put about 1000 miles on and they are a great tire. I would say again, not as grippy but still good and grippy.