pirrelli stada's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been able to get more than 3500 miles out of any tire... The "regular strada's " only lasted around 3000 miles for me. I must be doing something very, very wrong. I just put a fresh set of pilot powers on my GSX-R 1000. I only got 1700 miles out of the Stone's I put on when I bought the bike. My tire bill is killing me. :angry2: smitty

ADMINS please make this another NEPRT (Never Ending Pointless Re-ocurring Thread)
I disagree. The "E" model tire is NEW and I think tracking how it performs and holds up is not pointless.
A lot of the NEPRT's make for good reading and have valuable info, but they're still NEPRT's and this thread may very well qualify. Doesn't mean nobody's going to read it.

What is the E Strada? I looked at Pirelli's site and found no information.

I thought that I was going to be able to evaluate the Strada with something other than backroads thrashing, since I am on day 8 of a 9 day trip. Well, it was not meant to be. I got into Phoenix and checked tire pressure and found 19 pounds in the rear. Yesterday revealed that I had a puncture hole in the tread area. There were no Stradas to be had yesterday morning, so I fitted a plain Diablo to finish my ride.

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the untimely demise of your rear tire... :angry2:

The Pirelli Diablo Strada "E" version (for the rear tire only) has been developed for bikes of the size and power of our FJR1300.

These are the official bar codes as marked on the tire stickers

DiabloStrada.jpg

Stef

...anybody fiddled with (1 up) tire pressures, lightly loaded (the bike, not me!) and have any recomendations?

Really liking these in early miles and no decel wobble at all, which I've experienced with other brands. Also, no weaving or wandering in rain grooves or resurfacing grooves. So far, very pleased (E rear)

Bike Effects,

These E model tires haven't been out long, but I would think more info from Perelli would be forthcoming. I think it was AMT that I first noticed them listed and they weren't even available then.

GP

hey guys ,,

I just ordered my 2nd set of Stradas today ,, $180 for both ,, they are 15% under wholesale to vendors right now ,, my buddy gets them from Parts Unlimited ,, and I get them for his cost ,, he might be able to do the same for others ,, will be here overnight no shipping charges ,,

the earlier thread said that the E was designed with the FJR in mind and was used for R&D ,, I also did my own research on them and found this to be true ,, that is one of the reasons I got them ,,

my buddy gets them from Parts Unlimited ,, and I get them for his cost ,, he might be able to do the same for others ,, will be here overnight no shipping charges ,,
Hey, no fair teasing us without some details. :nono: Get on it! I'd be up for another rear tire.

I just put the Pirelli's on (front and rear) late last week. I have about 400 miles on them and so far I'm very happy. The front end wobble that I had with Avon, Dunlop, Metz, and 'Stones is nearly gone w/ the P's. Not ENTIRELY gone, but much, much better.

Man if you have a wobble or shake with all the tires you should be checking out the front end. Plus, everytime a new tire comes out the people who use it love it and tout it as being the bomb, except continentals. Tires are round but they all have different capabilities and compounds. But it is funny how everone gets different milage and handling responses for the same tire brand.

I have been running the standard stradas now for 10,000 miles.

I think thay are a great all around tire. I rode all winter on them in wet and cold conditions and they performed very well.

I have my new set sitting in my basement waiting for these to wear out.

I think its gonna be a while yet.

Tim

ok,, talked to Alex at Biker Trends ,,

$239 pair to your door :yahoo:

here is how it works ,,

he orders the tyres and they are shipped to him no charge by Parts Unlimited ,, then he will ship them to you ,, he's making 15% which is the discount from Parts Unlimited ,, that brings it to the wholesale price ,, then add shipping from him to you ,, it's still quite a deal ,,

if are interested in this just let me know ,, you will be paying him not me!!!!

BTW I do not know how long the discount is on for ,, so you might want to make your decisions fairly soon ,,

yes ,, I got mine cheeper ,, no shipping and I get his cost on everything ,, :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think AMT was about $232 shipped for the non 'E' tires. $10 more for the 'E'. Is your price for the FJR specific 'E' tires?

GP

I just put the Pirelli's on (front and rear) late last week. I have about 400 miles on them and so far I'm very happy. The front end wobble that I had with Avon, Dunlop, Metz, and 'Stones is nearly gone w/ the P's. Not ENTIRELY gone, but much, much better.

Man if you have a wobble or shake with all the tires you should be checking out the front end. Plus, everytime a new tire comes out the people who use it love it and tout it as being the bomb, except continentals. Tires are round but they all have different capabilities and compounds. But it is funny how everone gets different milage and handling responses for the same tire brand.

Its my understanding that the 40mph wobble (give or take a few MPH) is not uncommon on FJRs, especially with a top case and / or some weight on the back. I've checked all of the standard stuff...head torque, tire pressue, suspension settings, etc. All I know is that with the Pirelli (so far) my wobble is nearly gone. This is good news for me.

40-50mph decel wobble is not uncommon on a lot of bikes.

Has to do with all that you mention, plus is somewhat inherent to the suspension geometry of the bike.

The Avons did wobble on my '04. Not severe and not always, but there were a couple of particular stretches of road where I wold get "The Wobble " at around 25 mph. Others have reported similar stories.

When I changed to Michelin P.R.s, = No wobble. It never affected me, it did not scare me but it was present occaissionally with the Avons. It never reared it's head at speed, while cornering or under braking.

It certainly wasn't a "deal breaker" for me as the tires are excellent in handling, mileage and in the rain. I just wouldn't characterize it as a mechanical problem when others, whose bikes are well maintained, have spoken of the "Avon Wobble". Once a rider is used to the vague feeling, one merely rides through it without concern knowing that it is for a brief few seconds and then its gone.

I just wouldn't characterize it as a mechanical problem when others, whose bikes are well maintained, have spoken of the "Avon Wobble". Once a rider is used to the vague feeling, one merely rides through it without concern knowing that it is for a brief few seconds and then its gone.
Not to be confused with the infamous "Givi shuffle" that kicks in at about 135 :yahoo:

:clapping:

the strada "E" (extended wear tyre) is the FJR specific replacement

you can look it up in the Parts Unlimited site ,, you know ,, under tyres & wheels

I just swapped out F&R for another set of Stradas (Non E) after 12k miles of year round commuting in the Pacific Rainwest. That was probably about 1k too long due to my laziness in ordering the new rubber. These will be my tire of choice for the FHR for the foreseeable future.

On my 05 I replaced Stones with the Avons and felt that they improved the handling. Has anyone used the Avons and the Pirelli's?...any opinions?

Thnx