Pit bull front stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

600rick

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to adapt a Pit Bull "pin" style front stand to the FJR ?

I have one for use on another bike and would like to use it on the FJR also..

Anyone know of a way to adapt a Pit Bull "pin" style front stand to the FJR ?I have one for use on another bike and would like to use it on the FJR also..
I use a Pit Bull on my FJR and it works fine. I do not have ABS, but I loaned my stand to a member who does and it did not work well. I'm not sure what has to be done. I'm not sure what you mean by "Pin Style".

Last edited by a moderator:
The "pin" style some refer to as a triple style. It has an actual pin in th the top section that normally fits in the hole at the bottom the steering head/bottomd bracket. When you raise it the top section leverages into place. Its used more probably around race tracks.

Hey,

If someone would come up with an adapter for the Pit-Bull stand to lift from the bottom of the steering head, I would be all over that.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
My 36mm socket is at work right now, so I can't take the top nut off to check. Anybody know if the steering stem is actually solid, or if that's just a plug in the bottom of it? If it's a hollow steering stem (as it should be), maybe the plug can be knocked out. I too would like to be able to use my steering stem type front stand on the FJR. If nobody knows the answer to this, I'll try to remember to bring my socket home with me tomorrow and see for myself.

I would be interested to know whether there's a reasonable way to use a "pin" style Pit Bull too. I've got one in the attic (from my track/wannabe racer :haha: phase), but I took one look up underneath the FJR and gave up on the idea.

I just put on my GPS stem mount. I removed the OEM nut to reveal a solid stem. Didn't look underneath, so I can't say for certain that it's solid all the way. I would presume so though.

I just put on my GPS stem mount. I removed the OEM nut to reveal a solid stem. Didn't look underneath, so I can't say for certain that it's solid all the way. I would presume so though.
Well that sucks. Maybe I'll take it off and drill it. Why on earth would they use a solid stem when virtually everybody on earth (including Yamaha) uses hollow stems. I know my R1's was hollow. I just might drill the little bastard...at least enough to get the stand pin in it. Have to take it apart and look at it and see how much meat is there. Sounds like a good project for this week. :moil:

Hey,

What about making an offset bracket that bolts to the splash shield, or what ever that little guard is, and has a hole drilled in line with the stem. The hole being sized for the lift pin. The bracket would need to be stout enough to keep the pin centered on the stem and the offset spaced so the stand pin contacts the steering stem.

Bill

The steering stem is indeed solid at the bottom, so there is no "pin" to fit the standard Pit Bull triple-tree hoist. Which is indeed unfortunate.

The easy solution is this: while some don't care for the technique (and I myself resisted for a long time), the fact of the matter is: propping up the front end of the bike using a sissors jack/block of wood under the header tubes works absolutely fine. Have done it many a time now with no adverse effects.

I've kinda down with the flu. I had started a templet to make up a 1/8" piece to attach where the little "shield" is. Will just weld on a correct size piece of pipe just long enough to grab the pin. I'm pretty busy now but I'll get some pics when I'm finished. The jack sounds good too but I wnat to be able to do this on just quick occasions like wheel cleaning, etc...not necessarily for removing the forks but since I have the pin stand I figured what the hell......

I wonder if this would work? I know it's for Ducati's, but they don't have a hole in the stem either. They use hooks to go underneath and around the back of the lower triple tree to hold on to. The hooks are lined with Delrin to prevent scratching. Wish they had a pic of it as to better explain it. Someone call and find out!

https://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/product_in...3a1801c8a9f91ab

I wonder if this would work? I know it's for Ducati's, but they don't have a hole in the stem either. They use hooks to go underneath and around the back of the lower triple tree to hold on to.
$165 for just the adapter????? That whole 'block of wood and a scissor jack' thing is sounding better all the time.