Planing a MN North Shore ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvininin

Reaction score
I am no stranger to high mile days. Last year I didn't get any "fun" riding in, it was 8000 for work, commuting, and, a funeral. This year I want to change that. I am really not in the position for overnights yet with young kids, but I could probably talk my wife into letting me escape for a long day.

Having moved from WA less than 2 years ago, I am still not very familiar with MN roads.

Here is what I am thinking... 660 miles, try to be rolling by 6:30, power up and back should be home around 20:00 including stops.

I have never been to the north shore of the boundary waters so really looking forward to checking it out.

I am very much open to suggestions.

Because it is fun to spend other peoples money...

Congrats on choosing the north shore. Very scenic, although not real technical. I think you are smart if you are viewing this as a first scouting trip for future rides. If at all possible, park the little ones and bring the wife along. Plan on a 2-3 day and take her to the Gunflint Lodge. Scenic ride and a very nice place to stay on Gunflint Lake, a Canadian border lake. You will find a number of other places to go up there, and the ride up Hwy 1 to Ely is another place you should tuck under your belt. Ely is a beautiful area. Up the rest of the shore to Thunder Bay Ontario should be on there too. Well, not all in the same trip. The North Shore is a great area. It isn't Mt. Ranier or the Pacific coast, but it is on an inland "ocean" (Lake Superior) without all that dirty saltwater nonsense. Heck, Duluth is a trip in itself and worth repeated jaunts. Gotta hit Aerostich!

First of all, "North Shore" and "Boundary Waters" are two separate places. The map you posted is the first one.

It's a great ride, once you get over the boredom of I-35 to Duluth. Don't rule out going up Western 'sconnie, through Superior to Duluth, and up. Won't be as fast, will be much more scenic.

Dress warm, take the scenic from Duluth to Two Harbors, not the inland route, and keep an eye out for animals bigger than you, walking across the road.

I am currently only considering day trips. With a toddler and infant twins, its difficult to find a sitter for a few hours yet alone days. It will be several years before my wife and I can once again hit the road together. The kids are more or less the reason I even have an FJR. If it where not for kids I would probably still be riding a Victory Vision.

Here is what I use to do in WA, I do miss the mountains, and the ocean.
uMCWmlH.jpg

That'll be a great first trip, I35 will get you up and back from Duluth quickly (with less deer encounters) while 61 during the day can be relatively slow. The Gunflint trail is a nice twisty. Another day ride as mentioned above would be to head for the St. Croix river corridor up to Superior and back. Enjoy the ride....ff

I suggest you hook up with https://www.mn-msta.com/ as they do a number of day trip rides. Their routes typically feature twist roads mostly in SW WI and SE MN. They tend to ride "sporty". If you don't like the pace you can always run some of the routes that they have posted on your own or suggest a "flower sniffing ride". They typically start the season with the Rivers Ride which circumnavigates the Twin Cities along a series of river valleys.

The route you've mapped is a classic MN trip, but a bit to bite off in a single day. Another option would be to head up 61 to MN 1 and loop up through Ely - MN 1 is one of the top moto roads in the state.

I forgot to add, since you are on the north side of the cities, Duluth is really just a boring 2-2 1/2 hour bombing run up the freeway. Stop in Duluth for breakfast (or Tobies in Hinckley on the way). Plan on a stop at Aerostich, because you should, and then take scenic 61 up the shore to where ever you feel a little less than half your day will be. There are a few nice towns and a number of scenic attractions on the way so you can't get it all in on just one day. Gooseberry Falls is very popular and on a typical springtime, can be quite spectacular. We don't have the typical snowmelt going this year though. But Gooseberry is an easy daytrip. Maybe you should also plan a car run with wife and kids and do something like overnights on the Gunflint or Grand Marais. Ok, now I am just starting to live vicariously through you. Gotta calm down.

Just count on a few trips. Pick a destination/turn around point and go. It is all do able. I know guys that do a ride to Thunder Bay for lunch and are back in the same day, but I know they didn't stop anywhere to smell the roses. But that's cool too! Soon, when you can get the time, you'll find yourself doing the circle tour of Lake Superior. Better make sure that passport is up to date.

I actually did the circle tour of lake superior when I was in college in two long days on a Honda Magna. Back then all that was needed to get into canada was a driver's licences. I wouldn't mind taking a little more time at it next time. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.