Planning a Canada Ride w/Friends next August - Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you bring a GPS, make sure the maps include Canada. (And don't wait until 10 minutes before the stores close on the night before your trip to buy a micro SD card to add enough memory to add Canada maps, and then spend a couple of hours downloading new ones, like someone I know)

CrabbyJack

Done a number of long trips now. Here's my 2 cents.

1) Don't overbuy gadgets for the bike. Great if you have endless funds but otherwise I'd suggest you keep your money so you can do more trips.

2) Essential things for me. FZ1 mirrors because I'm a little wider and allow a huge gain in safety especially on trips where you are unfamiliar roads.

3) Throttle lock of some kind. If you do not ride a lot, the buzz gets to you after a while. Being able to let go of your throttle on the hiway is a huge benefit.

4) Storage - If you use more than the 2 bags and something strapped to the back, your packing too much. Don't overload the bike, it does affect handling and you'll simply be wondering at the end why you packed so much. A large Walmart drybag strapped across the back seat works great. They are water proof and usually a bright color. Keep things DRY. Another great things is a HOOKER. Not that kind. Only cost about $40. No still not that kind. A hooker, sits under your rear seat and provides plastic loops on each side of your rear seat that you can tie your bags to as there isn't a lot of locations on the FJR. Get your buddies to do the same. Last trip we had with a few newbees, everyone of them lost bags, had bags rub against tires, had bags fall out of place. Those issues all affect everyone and can be a real pain pulling over every 30 minutes to fix someones bag.

5) Most important clothing issues.

- Wet gear, you will at some point hit rain. I have every trip and regardless of time of year it can get cold.

- Proper undies, avoid monkey butt. A pair of underarmor underwear is great. In hot weather, long days, your ass can get raw. Maybe it's just my big ass.

- Gloves, helmet, jacket are more obvious.

6) GPS - I like the iphone/andriod apps myself. Navigon my prefferred along with a RAM mount. Lots of discussions on the forum about these. For me I'd rather not blow my whole budget on a $700 motorcycle GPS that isn't as functional as the $120 in iphone accessories that does a whole lot more.

7) Think for your idiot friends. At some point you'll think one of them is an idiot at other you'll think your an idiot. Everyone forgets some essential thing, so write down your plans, what needs to be taken, what maintenance is required on the bike, are ALL the bikes in good shape with good tires. Don't have your plans messed up because someone thought they could get by with that old tire.

8) Lay down some rules of riding before you go. Make sure everyone understands things like staggered riding and know who likes to sit beside the yellow line. Talk about not being too close and not being too far behind. Have someone lead that is good enough to lead but also careful enough to keep an eye on those behind him. Wondering if the guy behind you is okay when he's dropped back a mile can be nerve racking. So talk about those things.

You can also do walk arounds on each others skoots....sometimes you miss stuff on your own bike that is apparent to other riders.

I rode the Lake Superior circle tour last August with my FJR, enjoyed the scenery. You should have some cold weather gear available, as even in the summer the winds off of the lake can change the temperature by 20 or more degrees in a matter of minutes. On my trip, it was usual to go from the high 70's to the 50's depending on the distance the water was from the road. Quite a long distance between gas stops, fill up where possible. If you are going to stay in Thunder Bay, be sure to have a motel reservation, as in the summer they fill up quickly. Expect a moderate wait going into Michigan at the Soo for customs. Don't ride at night! Allow plenty of time, since the legal speed limits are not US highway speeds, and the roads are pretty much all two lane. Take extra water, very few places in Canada east of Thunder Bay to stop. Take a good camera, and have fun!

I just did this ride in the other direction - Toronto to Duluth on the Ontario side and back home through the states during the last week of June.

Hardware

The bike was at the time 3 months old and I went a little overboard adding stuff. The ones that were of use and without would have made my ride less enjoyable were:

• Handlebar risers
  • GPS
  • Smuggler
  • Throttle lock
  • Softbag inserts
  • Upgraded seat
  • Touring windscreen
  • Motorcycle half cover (for keeping the weather off the bike and saving effort in wipe downs)
The risers, throttle lock, windscreen and seat took care of the ergo and comfort. Made it easy to average 800 Km/day on 10 hour days.

The Smuggler helped as a store for all the essentials - my wallet, emergency money, camera, basic tool kit and SPARE IGNITION KEY. There are quite a few threads you can read up on for what tools typically get packed and decide for yourself what makes sense. I choose the Smuggler over a tank bag back because it is weather resistant without having to stop and cover it and I could lock it and walk away without having to worry about lugging it around. But when your 2 up or $800 doesn't seem reasonable the tank bag works just fine.

The softbag inserts were very handy as it allowed for transport of belongings without the removal of the hardbags which then locked up the riding gear I didn't want to lug around or leave exposed especially the helmet.

The Zumo was indispensable not just because of the navigation and POI but it was weather proof, acted as a hub for my Bluetooth devices, and provided tunes.

Clothing

Lots of good advice already provided. The one thing I find that helps in simplifying the packing is trying to purchase clothing that is versatile.

• If you can afford it get gear that breathes, has layers that can handle varying degrees of heat or cold and is weather-proof all in one
  • I wore cycling shorts with padding in the "seat" under my riding pants and they worked very well while I broke in the Corbin seat. Virtually no monkey butt even on the last leg and very long leg home..
  • Bring 2 pair of gloves. One for warm weather because it will get quite warm by midday from June through August. But also bring something for the morning because it will be very cool and damp, all that moisture in the air cooling overnight puts a bite in the air
  • You won't need much more in clothing when you consider that the majority of your day will be on the road

Riding

• Maddad makes a very good point (# 8) about knowing everyone's riding preference. I went with my buddy and we both like the "solo" experience so we agreed to prearranged fuel and meal stops with first guy in looking out for the other guy.
  • It's not just the night riding that offers opportunity to meet moose up close. I almost hit a cow and her calf crossing the highway in the early morning. Eyes peeled in the Ontario section of the journey

Finally, I would highly recommend getting something to quickly clean your helmet, windscreen and lights at the end of the day. I use Plexus as it does a very good job at preventing the pound of insect road kill I collected every day from making a mess of the bikes finish.

Aside from mods, etc . . .

You really need to check the Canadian motorcycle laws/requirements. Of course you'll need your passport . . . but you also need proof from your insurance company that your bike is insured while riding in Canada as well . . . I know that's one of the big requirements of crossing the border

You really need to check the Canadian motorcycle laws/requirements. Of course you'll need your passport . . . but you also need proof from your insurance company that your bike is insured while riding in Canada as well . . . I know that's one of the big requirements of crossing the border
Maybe the rules are different in BC and Alberta but I have been riding to Canada since 1984 and have never been asked for a Canadian insurance card.....but it's really a good idea to have one if you get involved in an accident.

My advice for a beginner to prepare for a big trip......don't be a beginner. Take a long weekend trial trip, the packing requirements are almost the same, and by the time you get home you will know what you need to do to prepare for a longer trip.

So there's a group of at least 6 of us (3 bikes) planning on a MN to Canada, around Lake Superior and back home trip next August.

I have a 2008 FJR that is basically bone stock.

I'm looking for opinions on acccessories I need to add this winter/spring to prepare for the ride.

I'm sure we'll do some night riding at points, and I honestly don't know if we're camping or motel/hoteling it or not. We're early in the planning stages.

I also know one of the guys is newer and his bike only has about a 2.5 gallon fuel tank (and I'm told there's some long stretches between fueling locations).

I've never done a extended trip like this, so any recommendations from those who have done longer trips is much appreciated.

My planned list:

FJR Dashboard and probably a GPS....which one and why?

LED lights? I'd really like to add some super bright lights, but I'd like it to look clean.

I'm thinking about adding an exhaust solely for the purpose of allowing others to hear me...right now I'm so quiet other riders don't know when I'm right next to them. Which ones and why?

I don't have a tank bag. Necessary? Storage is going to be at a premium, so ideas here are MUCH welcomed.

Mirrors?

What else am I missing? What items should I pack? How can I add additional storage capabilities?

ETA: Seat? Heated Grips/Seat? MV Handlebar risers? (My throttle wrist ALWAYS gets cramped up from the odd angle)
GPS is subjective. I personally cant stand Garmin. Their graphics look like stick figures and IMHO their directions are subjective at best. Ive been led astray many times with them. For example, on many occasions, I'll be going down the freeway and it'll tell me to exit the freeway, then get back on. Its super annoying. IMHO Google navigation is the best hands down. But that poses a problem as phones are difficult to mount.

LED brake lights are nice. I personally recommend hyper lights. Super easy to install.

Forget about the exhaust. "Loud pipes saves lives" is a myth and does nothing except add to fatigue and annoy you.

YES you need a tank bag as other have mentioned. For quick access to things like wallet, sunglasses, gloves, maps, snacks, and whatever else you might need quickly. As far as brands and styles? Its up to you. There are dozens of options and it comes down to how much you want to hold.

Mirrors. I recommend the FZ1 mirrors as will many others. Do NOT get the cheap knock offs. Get the OEM ones.

Seat? Meh. You arent doing that many miles daily. If youre happy with the stock seat, stay with it.

Risers? A few things youve mentioned tells me its possible your posture isnt correct. I suggest Googling "Master yoda riding position" and thoroughly read it. If you end up wanting risers after knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt your posture is correct, theres many options. Search the board and you'll have it covered.

As others have said, pack light. Make sure you have a flat kit with you. You can get decent ones fairly inexpensively from Amazon. Kinda sucks about your buddy's 2.6gal tank. Thats gonna mean a stop every 90-100 miles.

All of this is my humble opinion of course :)

2012 was my first year on an FJR and my first year of 'serious' touring. As I am now retired, I intend to do a lot more in 2013. So, as a 'touring newbie' here's my .02 cents (CAD .025) worth.

+1 to everything Spud says.

Never thought I'd need GPS - now I don't leave home without it. When in Canada, you can use it as a speedometer.

A tank bag is very handy for quick access to your passport, camera, toiletries etc, plus you can easily take it with you when you go for a meal, leaving your other stuff safely locked up.

Leave your exhaust stock. Get a Bluetooth headset to communicate with your buddies (they will need the same of course).

My headlights are stock and perform brilliantly (sorry, couldn't resist that!), but there is a lot of info on this forum on aux. lighting.

Are your mirrors a problem? If so, again, lots of info here on replacements or extenders.

I had my stock seat rebuilt with orthopedic foam locally, it works for me. Others swear by aftermarket seats.

Rode the first couple months with stock bars, then added risers. Really helped my arthritic shoulders.

Hope this helps?

Al.
cold.gif
Definately getting a GPS. Looking for input on what brands/models.

Definately think a tank bag is a go...suggestions on brand/models?

My stock mirrors slightly require me to turn my body to see behind me. It hasn't been a huge issue, but just wanted input.

I'm definately putting some risers on it. My wrist gets sore riding for more than an hour.

Thanks a bunch for the input!
A am very pleased with the following:

OEM FJR tankbag from Canada. Contact a dealer there.

better horns!

MV Motorrad handlebar riser plate

Mirror extenders - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-mirror-wideners-yamaha-fjr1300-06

Montana gps with City Navigator

Make sure your suspension is up to the heavier load. More fun with a Penske rear, stiffer fork.

There are many air cushions for the seat - it can make a difference. Russell is the way I went, but that is pretty expensive.

If you are camping - luxury lite cot - unbelievable sleep quality.

That's a good start.

Thanks everybody. REALLY great input on these posts. Very informative and quality posts.

I truly appreciate it.

I'm off to search for mirrors, tank bag, (I already have a droid phone with google maps, so maybe I'll stick with that), some riding jackets and pants, etc.

I was pretty certain I was going to do the risers upgrade because even just my commute got to be a lot.

Fun as it is riding with others, it can be very frustrating if riding styles are different. You are on a fast, comfortable touring bike made to eat miles. The little 600 with no gas going 2 up is gonna be a drag. Personally, I would not include em unless it was someone I really loved and was dying to take a trip with. Just my opinion. On the plus side, you will never get sore cause they will be stopping so often. Plus......pillion passengers always make stops last longer. Hope that's not to negative, just trying to be honest.

So, now for some positive balance. Just north of Thunder Bay, and barely out of your way is a very cool place to visit called Eagle Canyon. They have two amazing suspension bridges, one 300 feet and the other 600 feet long. If that doesnt do it for you, they also have a 1/2 mile zip line you can try. I am taking a group from Mpls/St Paul up there next June on a 3 day weekend. Here's a link to their site....check out the photo gallery! https://www.eaglecanyonadventures.ca/

Oh, a couple of other things. Radar detectors are illegal, even to have with you. If customs finds it, they keep it.

Headlight modulators are legal, but the mounties don't seem to know this. Find, print and bring the CA law with you if you run a mod.

edit to add: Hey, I just noticed you are in Hastings! I am near White Bear Lake. If you don't want to own a tankbag, I have a nice big Givi magnetic that I mostly never use. You can borrow it for the trip if you wish. No kiddin. PM me, or email bp snow at hot mail dot com

Last edited by a moderator:
And you just don't have room for camping gear 2-up. Maybe if you'd camped together a LOT and had your systems and equipment really lined up (e.g., top of the line minimum-bulk tents, bags, rain gear, liners, etc.). Without a trailer or a support van, I can't see it at all.
Plenty of room. I went to the local sporting goods store and brought my topcase in with me. I knew what all I wanted, and I knew it all had to fit. About $250 later I walked out with a tent, 2 sleeping bags, and 2 sleeping pads.

All of our camping gear fits in the topcase, plus spare gloves and some little stuff. We each get a saddlebag for clothes. The tankbag gets rain pants for both of us, and just some random stuff I like to have availible. I sometimes bring 2 hot dog cooking sticks, one chair, coffee thermos, or other stuff. I prefer to have my camelback with me, but it doesn't always make it. When she doesn't come I strap a small soft sided cooler on the backseat.

As far as bike set-up for the OP, I wouldn't get too crazy unless you just really want the bike to be more ready for touring. You already said you wanted risers, I don't blame you there. Mirrors, handguards, etc are a bit overkill for one trip. If you really want mirrors go for it, but I'm assuming the bike has served you well on stock mirrors this long. A road trip is not a 4,000 mile ride. It is many 100 mile rides that just happen to be back to back with each other. You're going to be stopping, at a minimum, every 100 miles to re-fuel a Honda Shadow.