Planning a Quabbin Reservoir, MA Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was another Fine Day Out today! It was great to get to meet some Forum members for the first time and see old friends again. Who would have thunk that National Security would have interfered with our ride...

Just rolled in @ 6:00 & 260 miles. Fred, the only reason you didn't get any off roading is because you left the ride too soon. Pepperell and I rode some dirt *and* we rode through the new covered bridge on Groton St in Pepperell.

I hope the NY gang gets home dry!

I made it home a half hour ago, a few drops of rain and a little over 250 miles on the clock. Rear running lights issue was resolved in an AutoZone parking space.

Great to meet all of you, I hope we can do it again.

I hope 9w gets over the tiny terrorizing we did.

Jim, Iris, and Art know what I'm talking about :)

oooh crap...lunch still in saddle bag...!

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of quick pixs from when I pulled out my camera:

One small section of one of the two arms of the Quabbin Reservoir. When the Reservoir was created it flooded four towns: Dana, Enfield, Greenwich, Prescott and some Indian sites too. The inhabitants as well as the contents of the towns were relocated. The grave yards and buildings still remain.

IMG_9087b.jpg

The Winsor Dam

IMG_9092b.jpg

The Massachusetts State pig pen police station just opposite the Winsor dam.

IMG_9107b.jpg

Mass State Police toy, the trailer actually has a flexible shaft drive from the main cab:

IMG_9108b.jpg

Mrs. Pepperell (Grace) and I (Carl) had a great time. Yes, it did happen and here are the pics to prove it!!

[SIZE=14pt]First stop was at this ominous looking store with a porch; cue "Dueling Banjos"!![/SIZE]

IMG_1002-1.jpg

This is the boy who played the banjo in Deliverance (1972). Changed quite a bit in 38 years...

IMG_1000-1-1.jpg

Dangerous looking characters about to ingest huge quantities of fat & cholesterol.

IMG_1001-1.jpg

Meanwhile, outside three FJR's were getting ready to be harnessed to the hay rake. Idiot with MA plate has decided to push rather than pull...

IMG_1003-1.jpg

Cow-tipping and Outhouse-tipping remain incredibly popular sports amongst the Northeast FJR community...

IMG_1004-1.jpg

After collecting more participants along Rte 2, we arrived at our destination...Quabbin Reservoir!!!

IMG_1005-1.jpg

In the background Supreme Command Headquarters of Quabbin Reservoir.

IMG_1006-1.jpg

Cahulawassee River after it was turned into one huge lake.

IMG_1008-1-1.jpg

No actual facts have been used in the making of this presentation...

Thanks Alan, for a nice loop. Sure was looking forward to the Seafood place. Maybe next time (got spoiled on the chowda ride). Well, unfortunately we did not make it home dry. But it wasn't worth stopping and putting on the rain gear....we were that close to home. Art on the other hand, I'm sure is getting his ......wet. It was nice meeting CJ, Fred H, Grace and Carl. Sorry you had to leave so soon Dan. Great to see Helen, Fred W. and Joanne again. We finished with 320 miles today.

What terrorizing are you talking about Fred H........it must have been you guys in the back :rolleyes:

A great day, thanks to everyone for being a part of it.

Jim and Iris.

In 1967, a friend on his Ducati Monza Jr (160 single) and I on my Honda S-90 made our first major road trip .... to Quabbin Reservoir from Princeton.

When we got there, my rectifier failed and my wiring harness fried in spite of being fused. I was a 16 year old kid, and naturally somewhat fearful of the State Police.

There was no place else to get any help, so in we went. The building looks the same as it did in those days.

There was an officer in charge, and he let me call my folks. He also shared his kielbasa sandwich with me when it came time for dinner. He was friendly, and the other officers engaged in friendly banter. One had an old Indian with suicide stick shift. My friend rode his Monza Junior to my house (which was actually in Holden, and rode back with my Dad to the State Police Barracks.

In any event, that's the first I've seen of the building since those days and it brings back a good memory of a shared sandwich and empathy from folks I had feared. When my Dad showed up that evening with the Bonneville station wagon and we threw the dead S-90 into the "way back," I had a different perspective on the Commonwealth's Finest.

You didn't miss that much dirt, Fred. I took a short detour from my street to detour around sewerage construction.

But we DID get to see the local junk yard. <_<

Thanks Alan for putting this together. It was another fine day in New England, (except for the wet last 1 1/2 hours.) Made it home at 8:00 and 423 miles for today.

Jim my mistake not putting on the rain gear. I finally stopped at a Stewarts in Stillwater and put it on for the last hour. That's twice I didn't listen to you, and twice I was wrong. :unsure:

Fred H I think the mini van and car were telling us that we're #1. We were so close they got a good look and liked what they saw. The FJR is a handsome bike you know. :rolleyes:

It was nice seeing old friends (don't take that personal Fred W, but it was something your shirt said :) ) and meeting new ones.

Art

Ok, I bet I'm the last one up!! :dribble:

I'm so glad I was able to start the day with this ride because the shift from hell that ensued was beyond words..... totally sucked!

It was really nice to get to finally make a ride!! Great meeting new folks, and just as nice to see old friends (old- you know, the one's who rule- or think they do!) Thanks Alan for sponsoring this days ride! :clapping: Oh, and the gopher from Caddy Shack called- he wants his golf ball back! :lol:

I'm wiped, but getting up at 7 to go pick up my daughter to spend the day with her... you guys really made me day! Looking forward to next weekend!

IMG_2612.jpg

The breakfast club . . .

IMG_2614.jpg

Girls being girls....

Sorry, just couldn't go to bed with getting these posted- damned photobucket was NOT playing nice and pissing me off.... not good being overtired after a shitty night when you wanted to kill a few people instead of fixin' em! ;)

Thanks for the ride, everyone. Had to beat feet home so took 2 to 495 to 3, playing with the car drivers the whole way. Some day I'd love to understand why people have to camp in the left lane if they are not passing anyone.

Think of them as slalom posts, Dan.

They are what puts some curves in the otherwise straight slab ride. ;)

AFAIK, passing on the right, while not a great idea, is legal everywhere.

The lighting was tough on this day and our cameras certainly did not do a good job. It looked like rain most of the day and it was very dark, but we got the ride in with no sprinkles. The ride home to NY for some people was another matter. My first stop was to hook up with Fred W and his wife Joanne, next stop was to connect with Pepperell (Carl) and his wife Grace. The growing tribe moved on to Townsend where me met up with:

Throughout the day I kept seeing trees that are already starting to take on autumn colors.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER (CJ in the Army Coat) and BkrK12 (Dan in Blue/Gray)

IMG_5719a_resize.jpg

CJ said that he knew of a little breakfast place that had a good reputation. The meal was very, very slow coming, we went from being early to late for the ride. The servings were huge and the food was certainly worth the wait. I've never had live banjo music for breakfast before.

L to R: Joanne holding her hair on, CJ, Grace, Fred, Dan and Ionbeam's skin yarmulke

IMG_5720a_resize.jpg

Nice Tee CJ! Carl on the right shows the direction that Ionbeam's hair is heading in :lol:

IMG_5721a_resize.jpg

Off the meet the rest of the group in Orange

_MG_4860a.jpg

After the swarm of Hardleys that were blocking everyone in cleared out we were left with the Quabbin ride contingency:

_MG_4871b.jpg

Looking down into the valley gives us the first glimpse of the Quabbin

_MG_4893a_resize.jpg

_MG_4898d.jpg

_MG_4899a_resize.jpg

There is always one in every crowd that is doing it different... (herfjr Iris)

_MG_4911a_resize.jpg

L to R fhaze (Fred), Fred W (Fred), Road Runner (Art), Joanne and CJ

_MG_4923a_resize.jpg

_MG_4931a_resize.jpg

More post 9/11 road restrictions

_MG_4940a_resize.jpg

_MG_4944a_resize.jpg

_MG_4965a_resize.jpg

_MG_4953a_resize.jpg

_MG_4960a_resize.jpg

CJ was the inspiration for the Chowda ride earlier this year but couldn't make his own ride so I chose a seafood place for lunch since he did make this ride.

_MG_5024a_resize.jpg

Too bad nobody mentioned that it was closed on Sundays.
oops.gif

_MG_5027a_resize.jpg

So, we went across the street so Iris could get something from Dunkin' Donuts to stave off starvation. They missed out on the big breakfast the rest of us pigged out on.

Yackity-yack. Left side of the picture, Ionbeam and Zooomm (Jim) havin' a laugh.

_MG_5052a_resize.jpg

As we were pulling out Iris mentioned that she wants a white FJR to match her boots and coat. Well, the French have white FJRs...

_MG_5057a_resize.jpg

_MG_5086a_resize.jpg

Classy upgrade from my house

_MG_4981a_resize.jpg

_MG_4986a_resize.jpg

Hardwick Vineyard and Winery. Art, this one is for Felicia

_MG_4988a_resize.jpg

_MG_5006a_resize.jpg

_MG_5016a_resize.jpg

Covered bridge for people.

IMG_5740a_resize.jpg

Maple Slurpel Sugar Shack.

IMG_5739a_resize.jpg

There must be a gravity problem in this field

IMG_5732a_resize.jpg

The obligatory dirt road that Dirty Fred missed out on.

IMG_5743a_resize.jpg

My, uhh --- Say, that's a mighty interesting house you've got there...

IMG_5744a_resize.jpg

On the right side of the picture are two emus. Trust me ;) :lol:

_MG_5138a_resize.jpg

Grace and I both spotted this car coming down a side road

_MG_5111a_resize.jpg

The brandy new Pepperell Covered Bridge. How old does a bridge have to be to make our Covered Bridges Ride?

IMG_5748a_resize.jpg

On our ride home this little black car drifted over into the space where my FJR was at the same time. Notice how dented Blondie's front fender is? And the paint stripe down the side of the car? Now, check out Blondie with the butt in her mouth while driving and texting.

IMG_5764a_resize.jpg

This is a scene from a horror story, she is going to kill someone one of these days.

IMG_5765a_resize.jpg

One of those pics is clear evidence that those wild n' crazy Northeast FJR owners have been out and about!

No cow was left un-tipped!!