Planning a trip to Arkansas....help wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcpd807

Reaction score
VASTEVE and myself are planning a camp and ride trip to Arkansas from around Sept 4th to Sept 11th.

We wanted to request suggestions from fellow forum members on which roads to ride in the area, must eat restaurants, good central location campground.

The plan is to pull VASTEVE's toy hauler to somewhere in Arkansas and set it up at a campground. Each day we would ride approx 500 miles loops.

Neither one of us have been to this area, so any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining us and/or hooking up to ride in Arkansas.......all are welcome. :clapping:

If you PM me your email, I can send you a 500 mile gpx route that fjrrider figured out. You won't be sorry. :D

As far as camping...don't know nuttin about that area...

My wife and I were just planning a three day weekend trip in Arkansas and I found these web sites

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/Sout...AR/AR_index.htm

https://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/motorcycl...sted-rides.aspx

Its got a great map of rides throughout Arkansas on the right side of the page. Its a PDF file that can be downloaded. Here's the link for it.

https://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/motorcycl...ets_Ride_08.pdf

Google "arkansas motorcycle rides" for other info.

We live in Claremore, Oklahoma, not too far from Arkansas. Give me a shout as you get closer to your trip and we'll see if we can join you for a ride while you're there.

Have fun!!! :yahoo:

Steve

VASTEVE and myself are planning a camp and ride trip to Arkansas from around Sept 4th to Sept 11th.
We wanted to request suggestions from fellow forum members on which roads to ride in the area, must eat restaurants, good central location campground.
If you want a nice area to camp (with a few natural attractions) take a look at Blanchard Springs. There's plenty of riding opportunities in the Ozarks, it's hard to pick a bad direction to travel.

https://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/caverns.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the prettiest town in Arkansas is Eureka Springs.
Once upon a time Eureka was a nice place, it's turned into a real tourist trap (like Branson, just smaller) through the years. But.........if you're in that neighborhood Iron Horse Stables is a nice place to stay. It's a 50's motor coach type place, run by a very MC friendly couple. It's not the ritz, but definitely a notch above scuzzy.

Mountain View is not a bad spot either.
Mountain View + Blanchard Springs is like peas and honey.

For groceries, you'll not find any better than JoJo's at Sylamore (catfish or steak) or Cody's at Fifty Six (chicken fried steak done right).

Not a lot of services in the area but, I'm ~60 miles from MV/BS and have garage space, tools, lifts, & tire changing equipment should you have a need.

It's about 600 miles from home to West Memphis there is a campground on the Mississippi there called Tom Sawyer Campground. I know some of the better riding is deeper in the state, but I'm not sure I want to try and pull the camper more than that in a day. I've read about The Great River Road and Crowley Parkway both on that end of the state. How are they? I'm sure the food will be great around West Memphis, but if anybody has any sugestions that would be great. We are going to do a couple days in the Ozarks. We are not really sure what else, but it doesn't look like it will be that hard to fine good roads to ride. I hope we get more ideas on rides and places to eat. Thanks for all the help so far. VASTEVE.

I did send in a route that should show you an area you could spend several days in. Regarding eats...most bbq places, hole in the wall or other wise are great...

...in Doniphan, MO, Big D's BBQ at US160 and MO21, great bbq

...north of Mountain View, AR, The Angler's -steak and catfish, GREAT food. at rts 9 and 14

...east of Mtn View, AR, Bar None Bar-B-Q, east on rt 5, red metal sided building- great bbq

OKAY...those are three places I would HIGHLY recommend...

...oh, and that great Mexican place in Clinton, AR...the AAD boys ate there last fall...

stay in one of these towns - Eureka Springs, Jasper, Harrison.

While there, be sure to ride the roads: 7,16, 21, 23, 74, 123, 125 and 160 (125 and 160 are in Missouri)

You ride these roads and you will have ridden the best that Arkansas has to offer.

... I've read about The Great River Road and Crowley Parkway both on that end of the state. How are they?
The Great River Road (US 61) isn't the same in The Delta as it is further north -- where it's considerably more scenic; but, if you're a Delta Blues fan -- it's the place.

Crowley's Ridge Scenic Byway is a gravel road -- I've ridden it on an FJR, but wouldn't recommend it...

I'm sure the food will be great around West Memphis, but if anybody has any sugestions that would be great.
Lambert's Cafe (home of throwed rolls) in Sykeston MO.

S. of Jasper AR on Scenic 7 -- The Cliff House

We are going to do a couple days in the Ozarks. We are not really sure what else, but it doesn't look like it will be that hard to fine good roads to ride. I hope we get more ideas on rides and places to eat. Thanks for all the help so far. VASTEVE.
If it's your first trip to the Ozarks, and you have limited time? -- I'd recommend sticking to the advertised Scenic Routes and a few connecting roads. There's alot of good riding in the Ozarks and most make many trips to get it all...

One of my favorite places, and you can camp there, is Petit Jean State Park (S. of the Ark. R., W. of Morrilton).

Eastern Arkansas is mostly flat farm land that, while agriculturally productive, an FJR rider might find, well, a bit boring? :unsure:

Well we are now looking at the idea of staying around Heber Springs, AR. This will get us closer to what seems like the best areas to ride.

Looking for recommendations on campgrounds in this area..........please B)

I think that the prettiest town in Arkansas is Eureka Springs. It's the upper Northwest corner. I'd make my base there.

[/quote

Heaber Springs is ok , but nowhere close to the best riding. Like Yamma Jamma said North West Arkansas around Eureka Springs is the place to ride. Good people. Great roads.

Well we are now looking at the idea of staying around Heber Springs, AR. This will get us closer to what seems like the best areas to ride.
Looking for recommendations on campgrounds in this area..........please B)
Heber Springs is one of the best places to ride a jet ski. If your looking for a good camp site around there try Dam Site Park.

Latest posts