Poll: Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Mesh Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is one of the brands/models that offers gear for girthed pilots. Feedback is appreciated.

• I've owned this exact model and LOVED IT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've owned other Joe Rocket jacket(s) and was HAPPY

• I've had good and bad experience with Joe Rocket

• I've owned other Joe Rocket jacket(s) and was UNHAPPY, avoid

• I've owned this exact model and HATED IT, STAY AWAY

• I have no intelligent feedback on this poll, but just wanted to say that I really like pie. Thank y

• Total voters

rayban

Grouchy old fat guy
Reaction score
786_10929.jpg

New Enough has them at a SLIGHT discount

RB,

Cycleport is right by you and makes great kelvar mesh. Off the rack or custom fit (at no additional cost i think). Call Wayne and he will set you up with the best mesh. I wish I could afford it right now.

link

633Pm22C_ColorImageC_Kevlar%20Photos_0008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were buying a mesh jacket today (which I'm NOT because I just bought an Olympia Airglide II), I would go with either the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 or the Tourmaster Intake. For the money, which is about the same for either, they both offer decent protection and great ventilation. Personally, I like the Tourmaster a little better.

I've got the phoenix 4.0 and like it a lot. I've ridden with it in the mid to high ninties and ventilation is pretty good. Haven't had a chance to ride in the triple digits yet. My jacket is black which probably wasn't the best color to go with when its hot and sunny.... Lots of adjustments, pockets (one I think is big enough for a facesheild), and it has the earphone pass-through function as well. For the money its pretty good considering you also get the liner.

As I voted I've had mixed results with JR gear.

I have a couple JR Mesh jackets, for myself, wife and daughter. Daughters is the newest and nicest. We (wife and I) have the older model and it's OK. Not real sure I want to crash test it, but it seemed comparable to others when I bought them.

I also have a 'Yamaha' mesh that I bought from a guy that won it at EOM. I'm 99% sure it's a branded JR jacket. That being said, it's nicer than my older stuff, but it's fookin hot cause it's black.

I got a LOT of really good wear form my JR Revolution 3/4 that they no longer sell.

I will probably go Olympia next only because I don't want black, it's hot enough as it is...

I have been really happy with my Meteor 4.0. Unfortunately it's too heavy to wear in the summer months even with the liner out but in the fall/winter it's wonderful. Only downside so far has been the inside zipper tab broke off but I rigged it.

Interestingly enough I was looking to buy a nice mesh jacket for my wife and I last week and was doing quite a bit of research. Found the article below (think its a year old or so) along with quite a bit of other feedback. The Phoenix 2.0 seemed to be well liked.

I ended up going with a Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2 for myself and a Firstgear Countour for the wife. The former was a steal at $50 and the later a great deal at $89.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessori...ket_comparison/

My wife and I have been using the Joe Rocket Alter Ego for a couple of years now. Both are good quality and fit. Mine is black and next year, I am going to get the pheonix and use the Tourmaster venture raingear. less zippers. good luck. jr.

I like the jacket except for the damn zipper keeps jumping the track. :angry2: This is the second JR that has done this. Other than that it is great for hot weather riding (I ride in Arizona) and with the liner it is good for wet/cooler weather.

RB,
Cycleport is right by you and makes great kelvar mesh. Off the rack or custom fit (at no additional cost i think). Call Wayne and he will set you up with the best mesh. I wish I could afford it right now.

link

633Pm22C_ColorImageC_Kevlar%20Photos_0008.jpg
Yeah, I already plan on going there in a couple years. I'm having weight-loss surgery (no big secret I'm fat) in a couple months and in the mean time, I'm looking at a balance between price and protection. Riding with NOTHING in the meantime is just tempting fate. I ordered the Ox boots and will probably go ahead and get this jacket to get my by and stick with jeans for the legs. Once my body levels out wherever it's gonna end, I'll get the nicer Cycleport stuff up north. thanks for the head's up.

Sadly, Tourmaster doesn't have my size. Thanks to all for the feedback. I've seen enough to be comfortable ordering the Phoenix4. I almost got the JoeRocket Yamaha-branded fabric jacket for another $50, but decided...

1. Black would be better for a lard-butt than bright blue and white. Yes, it'll be hotter, but when you're a big dude, the last thing you want is flashy attention to your plus sized torso.

2. This is a get-me-by jacket. Spending over $200 didn't make sense.

I was using a Joe Rocket Phoniex and was not real comfy with the crash factor of it. I did just buy a Cortech GX Air which seems a little warmer but a lot safer. Also it came with a cold weather and rain liner. Seemed like a good all around jacket for the $$. May be worth checking out. Good luck with your search.

The Cortech GX Air and the Tourmaster Intake are very similar jackets. Exact same double-liner system. The GX Air uses leather trim in the impact areas and the Intake uses nylon. The GX Air also has sportier graphics. A big plus for both is that you can get them with different sleeve lengths.

I picked up an Intake in early June, and it immediately became my #1 jacket. I really like it.

Lots of folks like the Phoenix, though, so I think you'll be happy with it. Enough like it that it must be JR's best product.

I stay away from JR myself. Everything I bought from them fell apart pretty quickly. The only JR thing I still have is an old pair of Ballistic pants (2.0, I think) that get worn when its very cold since they're too hot for anything else. And those have had their obligatory trip back to the factory -- the fly broke the first time I used it (during my first SS1K, actually).

Ray - I have a Pheonix I've been wearing and have always liked it - however - I recently bought a JR Alter Ego from NewEnough for $150 in the clearance section. the Alter Ego has similar mesh panels, but has 2 layers of crash padding - I wear my Alter Ego all the time now and my Pheonix hangs in the closet untill it gets 90 degrees or more outside.

https://www.newenough.com/closeouts/textile...cle_jacket.html

I had a gen1 Phoenix and disliked some of the design points that continue into newer versions of the jacket. I gave it to my SiL and bought a First Gear Mesh Tex jacket that I like much more. It's longer wasted for one thing, so it doesn't ride up in back when leaning forward while riding. The mesh is more open than I like while the FG is a tighter mesh and has better locations and access to pockets and such.

Back "in the day" the Phoenix was the only game in town besides the floppy Brosch that was ass cheese. Since then there are others on the market and I prefer the FG Mesh Tex design and build quality over that of the JR.

Got my gear today (Oxtar boots, JR jacket) and took an evening loop of the SD shoreline this evening for a few hours (80 miles).

Very very happy with the fit. If any other "big guys" are nervous about JR fitting, it was great, and even probably slightly LARGER in the mid section/gut than the measurement chart, because the 4X is actually kinda big on me (a welcome change). I could have squeezed into a 3x as I keep shrinking (thank god).

HOWEVER, the Oxtar boots went from being a half size too big (TWN's feedback from his pair) to "oh my god barely fits me" snug. I wear and 11 shoe, 10.5 tennis shoe if I want a really snug fit. I got the 45 boots, which say they translate to a size 11 US. Let me say I BARELY get them zipped up. Yes, I have extra meat on my shins, but it's tight even further down where body fat isn't an issue.

Be careful when ordering the newer, resized Oxtars! If I put a thick wool boot sock on (still have about 35 pairs in my infantry gear chest), I don't think I'd get it zipped up. Maybe they stretch a bit with wear.