Poor Mans Surging Fix?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmax

Reaction score
I have this idea that I thought I would run by the forum before I tried it to see if there is a flaw in my thinking. I believe the ECM uses the O2 sensor to adjust the pulse width in order to keep the air fuel ratio in line with the factory fuel map. I dont personally think the yami fuel map is all that far off, just a tad lean for emissions purposes. So if I was to take say a 50 or 100 MV resistor and solder it into the feed wire coming from the 02 sensor would this not trick the computer into thinking that the bike is always running just slightly leaner than it actually is, causing it to widen the pulse width and richen things up just a tad all the way across the board? Even in the areas where it is not too lean, I doubt the bike is close enough to too rich anywhere in the map to create problems. If it turns out to effectively accomplish this goal, it would just be a matter of experimenting with different resistors until the best one is found. This surging/smoothing fix would probably cost all of a dollar if it worked. Any Yea or Nea sayers?

Roy

Yea to the concept. Nea to it working. The ECU doesn't read the O2 sensors in a way that this would help and the O2 sensors wouldn't respond to the extra resistance well. In fact, adding resistance would make the situation worse.

50 or 100 MV resistor
:blink: Err, typo for sure -- 50 to 100 ohms ;)

Has anybody tried taking the issue up with a service dept.? Y.E.S., and maybe not taking "That's just how they run" for an answer?

Or maybe you can get your TPS fix done, then tell them it wasn't running like that before. Diabolical, but maybe effective.

Oops, did I just make this an NEPRT?

Has anybody tried taking the issue up with a service dept.? Y.E.S., and maybe not taking "That's just how they run" for an answer?
Or maybe you can get your TPS fix done, then tell them it wasn't running like that before. Diabolical, but maybe effective.

No, I don't think somebody has made it past the perimeter answers for Yamaha. We've had a good turn-out of responses that the Power Commander improves things and a TPS recall from Yamaha in and around the perceived problem.

It seems a logical second step is empirically show Yamaha how things are broken or how to fix.

Look to the tick archive of an example of how the community pulled together and built a case. Doing it above board is critical though.

When my motorcycle was new, and only because it was new, I took it to my dealer complaining about surging. I was pretty sure there was nothing they could do about it but I wanted to get it on record.

My dealer confirmed my complaint (!) but all diagnostics available to them didn't find anything out of spec so they went no further. Good dealer, if you don't know then don't f'k with it. The positive was that my dealer acknowledged that my bike had strong surging. The bad is that they were correct, nothing is out of spec. Guess that means that it is a factory installed feature. These FJRs with nothing wrong have sure sold a bunch of PCIIIs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea to the concept. Nea to it working. The ECU doesn't read the O2 sensors in a way that this would help and the O2 sensors wouldn't respond to the extra resistance well. In fact, adding resistance would make the situation worse.
50 or 100 MV resistor
:blink: Err, typo for sure -- 50 to 100 ohms ;)
Thats not a typo. It is simply proof that I are a lectrical idjut ant dont haf a clu as to how to complish what I wanna. :dribble:

Does the ECM not read the O2 sensor in MV the same way as an automobile application does? IE more millivolts tells the ECM that it is rich, less MV tells the ECM that it is lean. If so than what I want to do is simply "bleed off" some of the millivolts inbetween the 02 sensor and the ECM. Is there another way to accomplish this or could you elaborate somewhat as to why it will not work?

Have you tried the co mod?
Cary
I have. Everywhere from 4 to 8 added points. It still doesnt take care of my surging problem.

Now why would I want to do that? It sounds like more work and less fun than trying to figure it out myself. :p

Roy

The surging "fix" is a Power Commander. It's under 300 bucks so yea I'd consider it a poor mans fix.

Keep your eyes on the For Sale forums or ebay and like me, you might land yourself a used one for about 100 bucks. Your riding a ~$10,000 machine, a $300 dollar upgrade is a very minimal expense.