popular gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveski

Reaction score
Am looking to get a gps for the bike and car, the tomtom was recommended at work but garmin seems to own the market.

Comments?

Am looking to get a gps for the bike and car, the tomtom was recommended at work but garmin seems to own the market.
Comments?

Hey, Daveski, Welcome to the forum !!

I would suggest using the search function to find what you need - I just did a quick search using +garmin, +tomtom, and came up with a page of postings - you may be able to answer a bunch of your questions by reviewing previous posts.

Get a 276c or a 478c from Garmin.

TomTom's North American mapping stinks.

The comparison link is something of a waste of time since they don't compare all the models you would consider. You are pretty well going to buy a 2700 or a 2800 series unit if automotive units grab your eye - or you'll wait and splurge on the Zumo 550, which is a bike-specific unit (direct comparison would be the TomTom Rider).

But the units with the best screen comes on the 276/376/378/478 models. Works great for cars, bikes or boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have been looking at GPS's..........I had my list down to 4 but thanks to 04FJR4ME for the info provided, I will most likely go with the TomTom Go 910........Christmas just cant come quick enough.

NC

I have a Tom Tom Go300 in the wifes car and a Garmin 2730 on the bike. Although the Tom Tom is not the Rider it is very similar. Between the two I like the Garmin better.

The Garmin comes with software that allows you to create routes on the computer and download them to the computer. Don't know if the Tom Tom Rider comes with this but it is a great feature. I know the Go300 did not come with any software but there was talk of it being offered in the future. Also the Tom Tom seems to be more of a European based company and while Garmin is more North American based. Because of this it seems Garmin is geared more toward use in the US. The Garmin is also easier to update via the web. You just install the Garmin update software, attach the GPS to the computer, and start the update software. Everything else is pretty much automatic. Tom Tom's website seems a little harder to navigate and find what you need.

I've used Magellan, Garmin, and Tom Tom over the years and my preference is Garmin. I'd go with a Garmin 2700/2800 series or one of the 276/376/378/478 models as bramfrank suggested.

Like ejworthen, I too have a Garmin 2730 and am very pleased with the features it has. This unit comes with XM radio, MP3 and a book reader built into it - great for those long rides and also takes the place of all the extra gadgets that can clutter your dash. If your looking for just the gps then the 2720 is the same thing minus XM, MP3 and the reader. I haven't used it, but the 2800 series come blue tooth enabled.

I used other brands in the past but I feel that Garmin has the best quality and is the easiest to use and navigate through. My favorite feature is its routing capabilities.

As usual, this past June I took a bike trip with some friends down through the Smokies. I spent some time prior to the trip creating routes on my lap top using the map software that comes with the Garmin. I loaded in several routes from Mad Maps of the area then downloaded them to the 2730. I must say, this worked beautifully. Each day I pressed the route we were going to take for the day and rode without ever having to worry about missing a turn or stopping to memorize the next five turns coming up. In fact, much of the time I didn't even look at the screen but just listened to the turn-by-turn directions spoken to me from the Garmin magic lady and just sat back and enjoyed the scenery. My friends were amazed and told me how much this device enhanced their riding experience.

I have the Tom Tom Rider and am pleased with it. It has super fine mapse for my use from Texas to North Carolina to Colorado and back. It mapped and knew 129 (The Dragon) It was nice to see the upcoming turns a little ahead of time.

I would like to be able to fix the zoom at a setting I like, it zooms in on its own after about 20 seconds.

I have the Tom Tom Rider and am pleased with it. It has super fine mapse for my use from Texas to North Carolina to Colorado and back. It mapped and knew 129 (The Dragon) It was nice to see the upcoming turns a little ahead of time.
I would like to be able to fix the zoom at a setting I like, it zooms in on its own after about 20 seconds.

There is a new version of the program, can not tell you if you could use the zoom cause my son borough mine .

;)

There is a new version of the program, can not tell you if you could use the zoom cause my son borough mine .

;)
Thanks, I will have to go online and see about that. The auto zoom is annoying, particularly if I am wanting to look at something on the map as I approach.

I think for the price, the Garmin Zumo offers more features, but the TomTom GO is a nice unit also. Just an older version of the TomTom 700 but made for motorcycle and comes with NavTeq mapping software.

Price are down on these TomTom Riders, so shop around to get best price possible.

Zumo new design seems to be more for motorcycles then the TomTom Rider, but it is almost a few years newer also. <_<

TomTom's North American mapping stinks.
TomTom Rider as well as many recent Garmen units all have NavTeq mapping databases. Some earlier TomTom units did not.

I have the Tom Tom Rider and am pleased with it. It has super fine mapse for my use from Texas to North Carolina to Colorado and back.
I talked to the folks at TomTom earlier this week. They'd updated the software a few months back, but I was wondering about the maps themselves. They plan to have a revision out for the North American maps this December. I'm very pleased with my TomTom Rider, but it does lack some features that I'd like to see:
  • No PC software to preplan routes (at least for its Rider model).
  • No tracking feature tracing where I've actually been on a trip.
  • No elevation read out (handy for those mountain passes).
  • No way to wipe rain drops off of the touch screen without risking inadverently changing settings. (Why ever would they put "Clear Route" as one of the functions while underway? <_< )

Like ejworthen, I too have a Garmin 2730 and am very pleased with the features it has. This unit comes with XM radio, MP3 and a book reader built into it - great for those long rides and also takes the place of all the extra gadgets that can clutter your dash. If your looking for just the gps then the 2720 is the same thing minus XM, MP3 and the reader. I haven't used it, but the 2800 series come blue tooth enabled.
I used other brands in the past but I feel that Garmin has the best quality and is the easiest to use and navigate through. My favorite feature is its routing capabilities.

As usual, this past June I took a bike trip with some friends down through the Smokies. I spent some time prior to the trip creating routes on my lap top using the map software that comes with the Garmin. I loaded in several routes from Mad Maps of the area then downloaded them to the 2730. I must say, this worked beautifully. Each day I pressed the route we were going to take for the day and rode without ever having to worry about missing a turn or stopping to memorize the next five turns coming up. In fact, much of the time I didn't even look at the screen but just listened to the turn-by-turn directions spoken to me from the Garmin magic lady and just sat back and enjoyed the scenery. My friends were amazed and told me how much this device enhanced their riding experience.

OK, I"m missing something here... is that software on the cd that comes with the 2730, or is it something you download... so far all I've done is lond the thing and use it.... comes up with some rather nteresting routes...

Only problem i've had is when I didnt' have an exact address to put in, and forgot to look for coordinates...

See you can't just tell it to find a hotel i the middle of nowhere where the directions are... Highway 67 and 26 miles from here and 18 miles from there! <LOL>

I was up on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.... The Kaibab Lodge does not have a street address.. but we found it anyway....

"Mad Maps" Where do I find this?

Oh yeah, if you miss a scheduled turn cause you wnat to go a different way, that voice gets a bit irritating! <G> I need to leanr how to do this stuff better...

Thanks

Mary

OK, I"m missing something here... is that software on the cd that comes with the 2730, or is it something you download...
I think what he's saying is he used a route from a paper map, and then plotted it out on the software they give you with the 2730. You can then download the route from you PC to the GPS via a USB cable.

The Garmin software that is supplied with the 2730 is called MapSource® City Navigator North America. It allows you to plan routes in advance on the PC and transfer them to the GPS. I believe Mad Maps are just paper maps that have various routes already mapped out on them. They have various scenic routes etc.

I've been using the Garmin Rino with built in FRS & GMRS radios hooked with PTT to Autocomm system. The screen is too small but is semi waterproof , can be used as handheld, , moved between bike & quad & has two radios built in...